How I got an anti gun mom pissed at me.

I am still trying to figure out how some of you guys manage to get into shouting matches with complete strangers in strange places over your beliefs.

This has NEVER happened to me.[thinking]

I have never got into a shouting match, though I have "conversed" with Antis waving banners. My then-14-yo was a better advocate than they were....

This is not true in my experience. The ones that want to spout off, get confrontational and get in front of a microphone or camera are usually the type that trigger a gag reflex. But many of them are quiet and hot. I'm not sure there's a good correlation on ugly and liberal.

Maybe ugly and loud? Or loud and liberal and ugly?

No, ugly and liberal go together hand and hand. Other than hollywood, go somewhere and find hot women and uglies and it's 95% accurate that the uglies are lib's.

THIS^ is what it was about! Hobby Lobby did not want their money going to pay for certain birth control methods which are basically medically induced abortions cue to their religious belief. SCOTUS said they had the right to keep their benefits package from paying for 4 specific drugs that do this. And yes......of course the media......and therefore the ****ing soccer moms all over the country portraid this as Hobby Lobby is against women.

Another issue was that the policy that attempted to force employers to provide the contraception at issue were done as the result of bureaucratic HHS regulations promulgated pursuant to enabling statutes in Obamacare, not Obamacare itself. The law interpreted wasn't the First Amendment, but a law passed by Congress, the Religious Freedom Reformation Act, which states that laws having general applicability to everyone cannot substantially burden religious freedoms. Essentially, the law increases religious free exercise rights to a greater degree than the Consitution protects.

For example, under the Constitution (specifically, a case called Employment Division v. Smith), if a law in generally applicable to everyone equally and doesn't discriminate purposefully or intentionally--but only incidentally--on the basis of your particular faith, it's Constitutional despite whatever interference on your believe might be a side effect of that law. RFRA takes that interpretation and says in a similar case, if your religious freedoms are substantially burdened, you have a 1A Free Exercise Claim. (Note that things like paying taxes, while generally applicable, would not be a "substantial" burden...) As a statute, it's Consitutional because it provided MORE freedom than the Constitution does. I also believe RFRA prevents the government from challenging the sincerity of your religious beliefs and has to take them at face value.

Thus, since this is based on a statute and not a Constitutional provision, if Congress wanted to overturn Hobby Lobby, they could probably do so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Freedom_Restoration_Act

Last edited:
Lucky you weren't charged

pipecleanergun.jpg

The best irony is that the Religious Freedom Restoration Act was passed in 1993 and signed by Clinton. It wasn't the conservative Christians that wanted it. It was sponsored by the likes of Schumer and other liberal Dems because the Feds under Reagan and Bush had hassled certain tribes for using peyote in their "religious" ceremonies.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers, and I certainly don't agree with the woman's actions in the OP's post, but I think the Hobby Lobby decision is a bit more problematic than some other board members have portrayed it. In my opinion, it's not an issue of women paying for their own birth control or not, it's a question of equality in employer-provided healthcare. For many women, birth control is a basic part of their personal health (not necessarily in terms of preventing pregnancy either; I'm personally acquainted with many who take birth control to regulate hormones that cause migraines, etc.) and if the employer is providing a health insurance policy it should logically cover birth control too. I wouldn't want to have my employer refuse to pay for a blood transfusion because they were Jehovah's Witnesses...

Closely held can mean a lot more than just small family-run businesses; it applies to the majority (80%, according to the IRS) of American businesses since to be "closely held" only means that 5 or fewer people have a majority share of it.

Personally, I believe that a person's freedom of belief is absolute, but it can't trump another person's right to fair treatment or health. If you don't want an abortion, by all means don't get one, but it's not my business what anyone else does with their private life anyhow. Just my .02.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers, and I certainly don't agree with the woman's actions in the OP's post, but I think the Hobby Lobby decision is a bit more problematic than some other board members have portrayed it. In my opinion, it's not an issue of women paying for their own birth control or not, it's a question of equality in employer-provided healthcare. For many women, birth control is a basic part of their personal health (not necessarily in terms of preventing pregnancy either; I'm personally acquainted with many who take birth control to regulate hormones that cause migraines, etc.) and if the employer is providing a health insurance policy it should logically cover birth control too. I wouldn't want to have my employer refuse to pay for a blood transfusion because they were Jehovah's Witnesses...

Closely held can mean a lot more than just small family-run businesses; it applies to the majority (80%, according to the IRS) of American businesses since to be "closely held" only means that 5 or fewer people have a majority share of it.

Personally, I believe that a person's freedom of belief is absolute, but it can't trump another person's right to fair treatment or health. If you don't want an abortion, by all means don't get one, but it's not my business what anyone else does with their private life anyhow. Just my .02.

It's absolutely an equality problem. The problem is that this is one of those situations where it's impossible to be equal, and many people don't like that idea. If women get birth control coverage in their healthcare (By the way, the pill prevents certain cancers, too) the only male equivalent would be covering vasectomies or condoms, which isn't quite the same thing.

The other thing people forget is that I can guarantee you Hobby Lobby didn't do this because of religious beliefs. They really didn't want to cover birth control because that costs money, and they just used religion as an excuse.

I think it's about who's writing the check. You buy your own healthcare you buy what you want. You want your employer to write a check for your healthcare, that's a different matter.

The other thing people forget is that I can guarantee you Hobby Lobby didn't do this because of religious beliefs. They really didn't want to cover birth control because that costs money, and they just used religion as an excuse.

You underestimate the importance of religious beliefs. Something many people who don't give two shits about religion do.

I can't imagine it's more than a couple of bucks a year per employee (if that much) for coverage of these few drugs.

This is a company that leaves its stores idle on Sundays.

I doubt your theory.

Why don't we compose a list of snarky and or mean comebacks for when liberal women make a bitch attack:

With your bitchy attitude you shouldn't be needing to spend any money on birth control anyhow.

If you could find a guy that would do you I'll gladly pay for his eyeglasses as a method of effective birth control.

Lady, you couldn't get pregnant in a prison full of sex offenders!

If the kid is going to look/sound like you I'll pay for the abortion!

Try "Shouldn't you be making someone a sandwich ? "
Duck though, stay out of the brain splatter from exploding head.

The problem was that Obamacare mandates that every health plan had to cover these 20 meds. Hobby Lobby was paying for 16 of them before O'care even passed, and didn't object to continuing to pay for those 16. The mandate wasn't in the original bill, as the pro-life Democrats wouldn't have voted for it. As soon as it became law, Kathleen Sebelius and her committee added it into the regs without a vote in Congress.
This could be solved with one stroke of Dear Leader's famous pen. There is an opt-out for religious non-profits like churches and colleges. The insurance company provides coverage for the pills without charging the institution. They could do the same for Hobby Lobby and similar cases. The only reason the liberals are making an issue out of it is politics - it keeps all the administration's scandals and disasters off the front page.

I was at hobby lobby with my wife today. I saw a deal on pipe cleaners and put them into my wifes shopping cart. I went outside of the store with one of my daughters and waited for my wife to finish up. Some crazy moonbat b!tch approached me and made a statement that as a father of a little girl, that I shouldn’t support hobby lobby. She stated that it was because of hobby lobby that the SCOTUS ruled against women. I then told the lady that I supported the SCOTUS decision, that as a father, I couldn’t agree with it more. She flipped. She started screaming that I was an irresponsible father. At that point, my wife walked by my side. I reached into her bag, grabbed my pipe cleaners and told the lady that I wasn’t irresponsible. I told her that I bought pipe cleaners to clean the gas tube on my AR15 in order to keep it in good working order should the need ever come up hat I needed to protect my daughters. Well, that lady flipped out. I started laughing, my daughters started laughing, my wife called her crazy, and we all walked away.

View attachment 109329

Hardblock. Drive away.

1391863_753619064654069_1263693044_n.jpg

Topics like these help me understand the complexities of interpersonal relationships, liberals vs. conservative, what makes us all different, etc..

But it also leaves me dumbfounded: seriously, you don't try to clean your AR gas tube with pipe cleaners, do you???

Back
Top Bottom