How long does it take you to set up a Dillon 650 for reloading rifle?

Okay. It's easy to set up a press for straight cartridges, but how long do you spend to do a proper setup for bottlenecked rifle ones? I just went through that exercise with a .223 setup on a Dillon XL650 press and must say that it took longer than I expected. I usually reload 45 acp and 9mm on the Dillon in high volume and reload precision rifle, both 6mm ppc and .308, using Wilson dies with a little doll house type arbor press, but I thought I'd load up a bunch of .223 using some Sierra Match 69's that had been sitting around for too long. Now that I'd reloaded some, I've been shopping for a bolt .223 to use them in.

I’ve never loaded rifle rounds on my 650. But the two biggest complaints I have about the 650 is the equipment cost (dies, caliber conversion kit, ect.) and the time it takes to change calibers. I think it takes me about 10 minutes to switch pistol calibers.

Respectfully,

jkelly

What was it that took long? I remember getting the case feeding with the wedge-shaped piece turned around to be smooth took adjustment. It seemed to clunk a bit compared to how it fed pistol cases. Other than that, it wasn't much different time-wise from pistol once the resizing and seating was as I wanted it. I like the Redding micrometer seating die for easily switching bullet profiles.

Steve,

I’ve never loaded rifle ammunition with my Dillon 650.

But in general I don’t change pistol calibers often enough to remember the of caliber conversions parts that I need to change (or not change) from one caliber to the next. Nor do I have complete tool heads for each caliber so I often have to change over and adjust the powder drop for many caliber changes. Add a primer change over and it takes me more time than I’d like.

Nice to see you today by the way.

Respectfully,

jkelly

The chart in the manual for all the calibers and the required parts is a good thing to post by your press. I have all my calibers highlighted. I think for 9mm and .223 there are some crossover parts.

I have four or five tool heads. Setting them up and leaving them to slide in and out is worth the expense to me for the consistency. For .223, I have the resize one tool head and the powder, seat, crimp on the other. It leaves the option for case prep/trim after resizing or using processed brass. I'm eagerly awaiting a processed brass order now.

Nice to see you too.

What was it that took long? I remember getting the case feeding with the wedge-shaped piece turned around to be smooth took adjustment. It seemed to clunk a bit compared to how it fed pistol cases. Other than that, it wasn't much different time-wise from pistol once the resizing and seating was as I wanted it. I like the Redding micrometer seating die for easily switching bullet profiles.

What it was that took so long:

1. Remembering to remove the white plastic shell guide near the top of the case feeder.
2. Adjusting the sizing die to bump the shoulder just enough to make the brass check right in the case gage.
3. Adjusting the powder measure to a tenth of a grain
4. Adjusting the high/low powder warning to work right with the small diameter probe end.
5. Adjusting the bullet seating die to 2.25" (easy).
6. Adjusting the crimping die to the desired neck tension.

I spent about 1 hour for set up. It will be easier next time since the tool head is now set.

I found a Remington 700 rifle in .223 with a Jewell trigger and benchrest stock that just might become my xmas present to myself.

I reload my 223 on a 450. Case prep is the major time consumer. Tumble, lube, resize/decap, and then tumble again to remove the lube. Now its time to trim and chamfer the case mouth. Once these operations have been accomplished, its pretty easy to run the cases through the 450 and produce finished ammo. I'm not sure using a 650, or my 1050 is any advantage.

Back
Top Bottom