How many magazines do you have for your pistols/rifles?

Wow... it is so cool that your Mommy lets you play with toys like that! Do you wear big boy pants too?

Looked at a tactical vest the other day:

3 Pistol mags on left chest, 3 2x rifle mag pouches on both right and left abdomine pulse 2 single mag pouches on the right and left slightly behind the ribs. 6 shotgun loops over the pistol mag pouches. Knife pouch on left shoulder strap. Add a 2 2x left leg drop rig plus a right thigh pistol rig and the setup carries 18 rifle mags, 5 pistol mags and 6 shotgun shells. Was an interesting rig, but that's a LOT of ammo.

For Pistols I'm good on the 1911's, the Beretta and the Sig's. I could use some more for the Hi Power.

For Rifles I'm good on the Thompson and the 10/22's but could use a few more M1A's and AR's.

I like to use clips instead of magazines just to irritate people on the internet... [wink]

# of magazines required is inversely proportion to both temperature and round count of each gun... Don't like reloading outside below 20F....

I like to use clips instead of magazines just to irritate people on the internet... [wink]

# of magazines required is inversely proportion to both temperature and round count of each gun... Don't like reloading outside below 20F....

remember to load your 30 rounders with 29 and make sure the last 3 in are tracers.

I keep 16 loaded 30rders for my AR, and rotate them on range trips. I will probably add some reliable magpuls to this after an NH move.

I only have 3 for my Saiga, which I will up to 20~ after I move to NH.

I currently have 3 for each hand gun, which is adequate I feel.

The good stuff has already been covered, so I'd just like to add that I would like more mags for my Ruger Mark I. My wife loves to shoot it on range days together, but her precious freakin' thumb and fancy nail hate loading the ONE mag that I have for it, so I get stuck with the chore. And she'll go through 200rds+ on a good day, so as one could imagine, it's a PITA. :p

Looked at a tactical vest the other day:

3 Pistol mags on left chest, 3 2x rifle mag pouches on both right and left abdomine pulse 2 single mag pouches on the right and left slightly behind the ribs. 6 shotgun loops over the pistol mag pouches. Knife pouch on left shoulder strap. Add a 2 2x left leg drop rig plus a right thigh pistol rig and the setup carries 18 rifle mags, 5 pistol mags and 6 shotgun shells. Was an interesting rig, but that's a LOT of ammo.

What kind of mall ninja devised that setup?

Wow... it is so cool that your Mommy lets you play with toys like that! Do you wear big boy pants too?

Rich,

I have to ask, where in the world did that come from? I didn't design the rig, I didn't lay it out. The comment about the number of mags one could fit on a rig with a drop thigh rig reminded me about this vest I looked at.

The one thing I did really like about it was the placement of the single mag pouch on the left side just behind center line. This was easy to access, even in a prone shooting position, where I find the typical position of lower left, or worse, lower right, to be difficult. Would have liked to see 2 mag pouches or a 2x mag pouch back there and less up front with more space available for other gear in the rig.

Rich,

I have to ask, where in the world did that come from? I didn't design the rig, I didn't lay it out. The comment about the number of mags one could fit on a rig with a drop thigh rig reminded me about this vest I looked at.

The one thing I did really like about it was the placement of the single mag pouch on the left side just behind center line. This was easy to access, even in a prone shooting position, where I find the typical position of lower left, or worse, lower right, to be difficult. Would have liked to see 2 mag pouches or a 2x mag pouch back there and less up front with more space available for other gear in the rig.

Fit more gear on it? What would you put on it? Do tell. Id like see anyone fight in this.

P2A,

As I said, "Less up front, to fit more gear"

That is, drop several of the rifle mag pouches and replace them with utility pockets for items other than magazines, then swap the other pouches out for single mag pouches rather than the double mag pouches for a thinner profile. The vest itself had provisions for 14 .223 mags, 3 double stack pistol mags, 6 shotgun shells a folding knife pocket and little else. Personally I would have rather seen 5 rifle mag pouches that could accomidate a single .308 or .223 magazine (since I'm more likely to be carrying a .308 rifle) with pockets for communications, survival and first aid equipment. That perticular style didn't support any of those and while you could stuff a .308 mag into the double pouches, it didn't work well. To get a single mag into all three adjacent pouches, they had to sit at an angle which looked horrible and I'm sure would have been uncomfortable.

Again, it was a bad design that had a couple of minor good features, but the comment about being able to pack a lot into a rig reminded me of it.

I know how much 720rd of 556NATO weights. I believe some of the ammo cans I have in the basement hold 720rd when full and while it might make a good workout vest, I agree it's not something I'd want to fight in, just something I brought up because of the prior comment.

if thats the case, who needs to buy hand guns...there will be plenty of those on day 2 also...just hide out on day 1 [laugh]

My problem with that plan is, I expect a lot of people waiting for targets of oppertunity hunting for magazines weapons, magazines and ammunition on Day 2 and I don't like the idea of being a target of oppertunity.

tt_map-231x299.jpg

any "tactical" chest rig currently in use is suffice.

you know what you "need"

food, water, ammo and some snivel gear to last 24 to 48hrs. that's what the guys hunting haji's in the sand box have, plus "break out" boxes in their cars.

radios (yeah right), unless it's encrypted, i hope you have a good "code" speak [laugh]

your better of with the basics... food / water / ammo... it's all fun and dandy to load 750rds of ammo in a vest.

it's either a. going to break or b. you won't be able to move with it. 6 mags is plenty.... food / water and first aid / snivel gear in a small pack...

[rolleyes]

I've read on here that many advocate having 1000 rounds for your AR. How much of that is loaded in to mags? Otherwise, is it loose or left in factory packaging?

I've read on here that many advocate having 1000 rounds for your AR. How much of that is loaded in to mags? Otherwise, is it loose or left in factory packaging?

If I had any ammo I would have everything for my AR loaded in mags, and I believe you should have many thousands of rounds. It saves a lot of time when you go to the range.

if you're gonna have a thousand rds, you might as well have it loaded into mags, and the mags in ammo cans. saves time later.

best to keep the loaded magazines in the ammo cans already stored in the your tactical baby stroller for ease of evasion during the bugout.

Back
Top Bottom