How many magazines do you have for your pistols/rifles?

I've read on here that many advocate having 1000 rounds for your AR. How much of that is loaded in to mags? Otherwise, is it loose or left in factory packaging?

I dont know about most people, but I've got about 5 mags full up. Why? I don't really know. Just because, I guess. My AR isn't my go-to gun in a pinch anyway. In the case of a Katrina like natural disaster, it would certainly get put into play. But if there is a bump in the night. It will still be in the safe.

I don't think I have enough mags to load up 1,000 rounds for any one gun.

Neither the AR-15 nor the AR-10 would be my weapon of choice for a "bump in the night" response.

Glock 20 and/or Mossy 500 for that kind of thing.

it's just easier than loading them at the range. you're never going to carry 1k rds. if you find a good deal on mags, and your range time is limited like mine is, why not load up and bring full mags with you before hand?
Tactical 22LR poodle-pumper, speak for yourself... [laugh]

G22.jpg

If miniature zombies attack, I am good to go...

it's just easier than loading them at the range. you're never going to carry 1k rds. if you find a good deal on mags, and your range time is limited like mine is, why not load up and bring full mags with you before hand?

Agreed. Load up when you have time and can't be on the range so you can maximize the use of your time at the range.
The only time I carry 1000 rounds is when I'm carrying a case to or from the car.

seriously, dude...

what's 1k rds weigh? 30lbs or so? can you imagine sprinting with a can like that in each hand? or trying to hump 30lbs a few mile to guys who needed it? that's hardcore stuff. hats off to the guys who do it for a liviing. wow. [grin]

Umm...

260_1.jpg

I've got this really great $400 jogging stroller that my wife absolutely needed to have. I figure when the youngest outgrows it I'll have a great rig for 3 gun competitions.
I honestly couldn't give her crap for buying it. I mean, how does a guy who just received a box of 50 Pmags from UPS tell his wife that she is being irrational.

yhst-69518535304589_2104_13865736

I've got this really great $400 jogging stroller that my wife absolutely needed to have. I figure when the youngest outgrows it I'll have a great rig for 3 gun competitions.
I honestly couldn't give her crap for buying it. I mean, how does a guy who just received a box of 50 Pmags from UPS tell his wife that she is being irrational.

yhst-69518535304589_2104_13865736

Never, ever tell your wife that she is being irrational. Really.

Just deal with it.

I've read on here that many advocate having 1000 rounds for your AR. How much of that is loaded in to mags? Otherwise, is it loose or left in factory packaging?

I know a guy that has 1k for his AR all on stripper clips in a ammo can with a clip guide duct taped to the top of the can 20 thirty rounders ready to be loaded. He also keeps 8 30 rounders loaded with 20 rounds in a molle rig just in case of zombies.

I try to end up with a total of 8 to 10 mags at minimum for all my handguns except for stuff like my Ruger LCP.
On the high end, I've got about 25 mags for my Glock. I load them all up prior to a match then don't have to screw with things when I'm shooting.

seriously, dude...

what's 1k rds weigh? 30lbs or so? can you imagine sprinting with a can like that in each hand? or trying to hump 30lbs a few mile to guys who needed it? that's hardcore stuff. hats off to the guys who do it for a liviing. wow. [grin]

I've never tossed it on a scale.
I've bought .223, .308, 7.62x39 and 10mm all in 1000 round case lots. They're friggen heavy and BULKY. (I bought 350gn .500 S&W magnum fully jacketed hollow-point bullets - not loaded, just bullets in a 1000 case lot once, still working through that 50lbs delivery)

As for tossing on 30lbs and sprinting. I LARP and at times, I wear 20lbs of armor, a shield and padded sword while doing so. Just that gets tiresome after a while. I did the 40lbs steel armor for a time, got tired of it and dropped $600 on titanium to make my own and cut out half the weight.

As for tossing on 30lbs and sprinting. I LARP and at times, I wear 20lbs of armor, a shield and padded sword while doing so. Just that gets tiresome after a while. I did the 40lbs steel armor for a time, got tired of it and dropped $600 on titanium to make my own and cut out half the weight.

That explains allot.

Dude I shoot stuff.

You dress up like a wizard and cast spells on other nerds out in the woods.

Clearly you've never been to a LARP, have never taken the time to actually sit down and talk with someone who LARPs. But of course, it's much easier to judge something without knowing anything about it than taking the time to actually learn.

Clearly you've never been to a LARP, have never taken the time to actually sit down and talk with someone who LARPs. But of course, it's much easier to judge something without knowing anything about it than taking the time to actually learn.

I have friends that are gay. I don't need to actually sit down with a gay guy to learn what they do because I really don't want to know. If you're a LARP'er that's great as long as it doesn't affect me I don't care what you do.

So yeah I'll take shots at LARP'ing because IMO it's gay. I'm sorry you don't like my opinion of it but it's my opinion.

You haven't humped 20+ miles with a full combat load so your opinion on carrying gear on a hike is about as accurate as my opinion on LARP'ing.

You haven't humped 20+ miles with a full combat load so your opinion on carrying gear on a hike is about as accurate as my opinion on LARP'ing.

When did I offer an oppinion about hiking 20 miles with a full combat load?

What I have said about hiking is that I have hiked 20 miles while carrying a normal pack weighing about 20lbs total (well below a combat load). That I _can_ do 20 miles in a day, but it's pushing a limit.
I have aggreed that carrying 1,000 rounds of 5.56x45 is insane and the only time I've ever done so was while transporting case lots to or from my car.

Someone made a comment earlier in this post about "as many as your LBV can carry" which reminded me of seeing a rediculous LBV that I looked at once that had space for like 14 magazines. Others commented that such as silly and I agreed with them, but had to remind people that I didn't own one nor did I ever say it was a good piece of equipment.

I to have some photos of my stuff, but they're currently on my other computer. I think I have some on my work laptop. If I do, I'll see if I can post something while I'm traveling this week.

Back
Top Bottom