• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to remove verdigris?

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
An original Trapdoor/Krag sling came today for the '99 Krag that will be on its way shortly. The sling was dry as parchment. Liberal use of Pecards began the rejuvenation process. The brass button and claw have verdigris.

I remember asking a long time ago, but have forgotten; what's a good way to remove it?

t

Attachments

• IMG_4199.jpg
    IMG_4199.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 69
White vinegar is the gentle way to do it, but hard to keep off the dry leather which it will hurt. Ketchup and a cloth work (salt + vinegar + the acid from the tomato) slightly abrasive because of the salt, but being a paste it is easier to control. Nvr-Dull wadding will work great, but the solvent will leave white residue on the leather (which can be cleaned off, but it's annoying.

Pretty much every case you need to treat the leather first to protect it and then carefully mask it off while cleaning the brass. Nvr-Dull will work the fastest, but it is also toxic while white vinegar and ketchup isn't.

Baking soda and distilled water..what I see in that picture is it worth even cleaning ....gives it a nice aged look.

The sling soaked up the Pecards like a paper towel. I'd lay a stripe down, and it would absorb before I could spread it, leaving a dark line. Probably need a second coat tomorrow. I'll let it sit a couple days, then try NaHCO3 and H2O and a polish.

It's secured loosely with a zip strip as the sling was dry and twisted 360 degrees over its length. Trying to get it to straighten out.

Original oiler, 3-piece cleaning rod, and repro muzzle cover still coming. The Krag is OK, cartouche gone, and couple stock repairs. I really wanted it for the 1943 web sling that's on it for the Smith-Corona. Bonus Points!

t

Attachments

• pix907038087.jpg
    pix907038087.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 15
I don't have any Baking Powder at the moment. Would washing soda work?

t
Baking soda NOT powder or washing soda
Pinch in a few table spoons and use carefully I have no idea what it will do to old dry leather. So proceed with caution

Here's what I've got after an hour. Something resisting efforts to get to the brass surface.

Wonder about old school; fireplace ash and water.

t

Attachments

• IMG_4201.jpg
    IMG_4201.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Can't sleep with all the bunny problems; seven are at the crematory. Kept working on the brass. Upped the cleaner to liquid auto polish compound and a stiffer Dremel brush. Stuff came right off. Cleaned up the edges, and dressed the edges with a little more Pecards.

t

Attachments

• IMG_4202.jpg
    IMG_4202.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I'm leaving it Au-natural. Gave it a second coat of Pecards; the back side soaked it right up.

t
To clean ..... Nice work getting at it. I like the old patina look myself especially on aged leather like you have.
Still going to look good.

2 coats Pecards liquid, 1 coat Pecards antique paste. Sat for a couple days. Still stiff, but much nicer then when I got it. Mailed the MO for the Krag today; should have it this time next week.

t

Attachments

• IMG_4207.jpg
    IMG_4207.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom