• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to turn lead into gold?

A friend (not exactly a gun person) came by the other day and I took him to my 'bunker' down in the basement. Man you sure got a lot of ammo cans here, they all filled with bullets, he asked. I just smiled and said, most of them are. He wanted to know why I was smiling so I said ever see lead turn into gold? How's that? He asked. I explained:

I've been stockpiling ammo for a number of years a few boxes here a few cases there mostly from mail order companies when it was legal (to bad you can't do that any more). So as an example I said last year I bought a case of .45's for $9.99 a box of 50. Today that same box is $20.95. I used Midway as an example (your mileage may vary).

CCI Blazer Brass Ammunition 45 ACP 230 Grain Full Metal Jacket Case of 1000 (20 Boxes of 50)
Product #: 844874
Our price: $418.99 = $20.95

But at local gunshops it's around $24.00 per box.

He said, "there's GOLD in them there boxes!" I just smiled again.

I figured that probably a little too late but I still started stockpiling as much as I can get away with a couple of years ago. Definitely been worth it so far - the prices have increased a LOT in just that short period of time.

A few years back I did an addition on my house - back then a roll of lead from Home Depot for doing roofing flashing was in the $50.00 range. I just bought a couple more rolls 2 weeks ago for another project - now the rolls are in the $100.00 range. For lead!

I can't believe myself how much the prices have changed in the short period of time I've been shooting. I got my license around the beggining of last November and at that time the 100 round WWB .40 S+W sold for around $30. Now it sells for about $35! That's a 16% increase in around 7 months! If only my real investments could do that good. I should have sold my retail account and just bought a load of ammo at the time.

I can't believe myself how much the prices have changed in the short period of time I've been shooting. I got my license around the beggining of last November and at that time the 100 round WWB .40 S+W sold for around $30. Now it sells for about $35! That's a 16% increase in around 7 months! If only my real investments could do that good. I should have sold my retail account and just bought a load of ammo at the time.

I got my license last August and 100 rd WWB .40 S+W was $23 a box.

if memory serves me right in 2005 a box of .40 WWB was $16.99

***Correction...I believe it was $15.99

Last edited:
if memory serves me right in 2005 a box of .40 WWB was $16.99

***Correction...I believe it was $15.99

I think it was actualy $15.99 - if you bought at Walmart. I bought a Glock 22 in 2006 and I seem to remember that was what the ammo cost. I could check the slips.

If you have been following the stock market and the rest of the economy lately - ammo is a good investment.

At work we were joking we should start an "ammo fund" that allows people to invest their money - and the money is put into ammo. Similar to the funds that invest in gold or other commodities.

. I used Midway as an example (your mileage may vary).

CCI Blazer Brass Ammunition 45 ACP 230 Grain Full Metal Jacket Case of 1000 (20 Boxes of 50)
Product #: 844874
Our price: $418.99 = $20.95

But at local gunshops it's around $24.00 per box.

Blazer brass isn't THAT bad yet. Hell, locally should should be able to find it
for like $16-19 for 50 rounds. Maybe walmart is still less, I forget. (I remember several months ago they were at $14 dollar mark.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom