• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How you know the zombie thing is really reached critical mass

I was at the store earlier today, and they had a "premier issue" of a new Magazine - Zombie Nation - in the magazine section, with all of gun magazines.

I flipped through a little of it - lots of ads for zombie targets, zombie ammunition, scopes, slide-fire stocks, etc. Articles covered melee fighting, hand to hand fighting, survival prep, training, etc. They had a lot of photos of people in makeup as zombies through-out a lot of the articles.

It's amusing how the .380 and zombie fads, that have already jumped the shark, are tied together. Perhaps it's an attempt at being witty.

I've always thought of the Zombie Apocolypse as a useful training / preparation tool for the worse case senerio. Now it's just a marketing gimmick.

Why is the ZA a useful tool? It represents the worst possible case senerio:

1) Biological Threat that spreads rapidly, is singularly fatal, but produces lasting threats from its vitcims
2) Threats are relentless, mindless, unsleeping drones hunting for food with a unsatiable hunger for human flesh, but look human.
3) Even the most minor wounds pose a threat of infection and those infected pose a significant risk of further infection
4) Threats take the form of people, even people you know and care for, despite being a threat.

And for training purposes, thinking of the roving masses of unpreapred, starving mobs as "zombies" dehumanizes them, making shooting at training targets more socially acceptable, even if the roving masses are more likely to be unaltered people, just driven mad by fear and starvation brought on by a lack of preparation.

1) Biological Threat that spreads rapidly, is singularly fatal, but produces lasting threats from its vitcims
2) Threats are relentless, mindless, unsleeping drones hunting for food with a unsatiable hunger for human flesh, but look human.
3) Even the most minor wounds pose a threat of infection and those infected pose a significant risk of further infection

Sounds like the occupy movement.

I've always thought of the Zombie Apocolypse as a useful training / preparation tool for the worse case senerio. Now it's just a marketing gimmick.

Why is the ZA a useful tool? It represents the worst possible case senerio:

4) Threats take the form of people, even people you know and care for, despite being a threat.

And for training purposes, thinking of the roving masses of unpreapred, starving mobs as "zombies" dehumanizes them, making shooting at training targets more socially acceptable, even if the roving masses are more likely to be unaltered people, just driven mad by fear and starvation brought on by a lack of preparation.

Indeed. The whole zombie thing is just a placeholder for whatever can go wrong in the world. It's no different than saying "SHTF".

I took the NRA Home class last year, and our instructor referred to any SHTF scenario as a ZA. That or Johnny Crackhead. It seems like a way for people to think about these situations without scaring themselves that the "bad guys" may just be their desperate neighbors.

Yep, I did that on Saturday. Three miles of mud--it was more of a slog than a run. It was OK, but I liked the Warrior Dash a lot better.

It was a blast. What wave were you in? 9AM here. I'm wearing mid shoes next year, regular low trail running shoes had zero ankle support. Felt that in the morning, zero footing. I think they went a bit overboard with the mud, parts of it were impossible to jog, never mind run.

It was a blast. What wave were you in? 9AM here. I'm wearing mid shoes next year, regular low trail running shoes had zero ankle support. Felt that in the morning, zero footing. I think they went a bit overboard with the mud, parts of it were impossible to jog, never mind run.

We were in the 1:30 wave. I think the mud got a lot worse as the day went on. Talked to a guy who had gone earlier in the day, and he said he couldn't imagine what it would be like in the afternoon. Lots of people around me were losing shoes; mud holes up to your shins. Most of the time we could barely walk through it; forget running or even jogging.

My wife lived, but those zombie bastards got me right near the end.

We were in the 1:30 wave. I think the mud got a lot worse as the day went on. Talked to a guy who had gone earlier in the day, and he said he couldn't imagine what it would be like in the afternoon. Lots of people around me were losing shoes; mud holes up to your shins. Most of the time we could barely walk through it; forget running or even jogging.

My wife lived, but those zombie bastards got me right near the end.

It was already pretty awful footing at 9, 1:30 must have been a nightmare. They really went overboard with the mud, kind of ruined it I think, made timing the run almost pointless. My gf got her third flag nabbed about 2 mi into it, I made it out with 1 flag. Got zapped by that fence at the end, pretty sure I blacked out. Why there was an electric fence is beyond me...not normal at all. Never mentioned that in the waiver haha.

How'd you two like the slide at the end?

It was already pretty awful footing at 9, 1:30 must have been a nightmare. They really went overboard with the mud, kind of ruined it I think, made timing the run almost pointless. My gf got her third flag nabbed about 2 mi into it, I made it out with 1 flag. Got zapped by that fence at the end, pretty sure I blacked out. Why there was an electric fence is beyond me...not normal at all. Never mentioned that in the waiver haha.

How'd you two like the slide at the end?

I thought those signs about the electric fence were BS! I just thought yeah, right and went right under with no problems. Found out later it was real!

On the slide, I think I accelerated to about Mach 3 in the first ten feet, managed to get inverted so I was headed down head-first and blind, got airborne a couple of times, and hit the pool screaming so I got a mouthful of mud-water. In other words, it was a blast.

By the time we left they were having a lot of trouble with the slide. Looked like hundreds of runners backed up at the top of the hill while they worked on it.

I thought those signs about the electric fence were BS! I just thought yeah, right and went right under with no problems. Found out later it was real!

On the slide, I think I accelerated to about Mach 3 in the first ten feet, managed to get inverted so I was headed down head-first and blind, got airborne a couple of times, and hit the pool screaming so I got a mouthful of mud-water. In other words, it was a blast.

By the time we left they were having a lot of trouble with the slide. Looked like hundreds of runners backed up at the top of the hill while they worked on it.

Yeah that fence was the real deal. I remember diving under, and then "waking up" on the other side all jello and discombobulated. Where did you get whacked?

As for the slide, yeah mach 3 sounds about right, they should leave that slide open year round, effin awesome. The water pool at the end was quite a bit colder and WAY more shallow that it should have been. Some girl slid down behind my gf and I, went down on her side and jacked up her knee something awful when she went under water. Insta-purple. I can't imagine her ride to the hospital was to be too comfy.

The line for the slide wasn't too short earlier, people were getting nervous at the top and baulking. Weak.

Back
Top Bottom