How's this for bizarre?

Fooped

Resident HK Guru
Hey everyone,

Here's to hoping that someone here in the vast pool of firearm knowledge might be able to shed some light on a VERY strange firearm malfunction.

I bought a Calico M-100 .22LR rifle a month or so ago which was used and IMO not very well cared for. I bought it off GA, so unfortunately the pictures and description didn't really match up too well with the reality of the gun. Anyways...

When I first fired it, I got multiple FTE errors (stovepiping, casing stuck in chamber, double feeding etc.), so I called Calico and they said it might be an extractor and/or ejector issue.

So......

Me being the "let's just fix this Goddamn thing and get on with it" kinda guy that I am, I replaced every single part in the bolt: Extractor, extractor spring, ejector, main action spring, firing pin, firing pin spring and buffer.

So after having done this, the gun still wouldn't function properly (similar errors as before). The guy at Calico also told me to try CCI Mini-mags, which I did, and lo and behold: the gun shhoots like a dream!

I'm thinking I've got this thing solid and continue to finally enjoy the rifle, but after about 70 shots or so, the strangest thing happened:

Here's the sequence of events:

1: Insert loaded mag.
2: Release charging handle (successfully chambering round)
3: Hammer engages and gun is "cocked" and ready to fire.
4: Pull trigger, gun goes bang as normal.
5: Action cycles, spent casing is ejected properly.
6: New round is stripped off of the mag and seated properly in the chamber.
7. Action returns to closed "in battery" position.

And then.....

8. NO BANG. NO TRIGGER CLICK. NO NOTHING.

Although the action is clearly cycling, the hammer (sear?) is not being reset and the gun is not "cocked" for the next shot, but when I cycle the bolt by hand, the action works perfectly and the hammer is reset (and dry fires upon trigger squeeze) every single time!!!!!

WTF? [crying]

I can also put a live round in the chamber by hand, cycle the bolt, pull the trigger and the same sequence of events occurs, thus eliminating the mag as a potential issue. The odd thing is that the gun was working perfectly for 70 or so rounds, and now zippo.

I also tried this test with other standard velocity ammo, and got the same result.

Any guidance or wisdom on this would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like it is running dry. Try hosing it down with CLP or your lube of choice.
Semi autos are usually picky about using full power loads (HV). The choice ammo used to be Remington but I'm not sure who has the hottest load nowadays.

Check your springs make sure they are were they need to be, believe me I know different gun but same problem.

I know mine is ammo picky. I never had that problem. It almost sounds like the hammer is not being reset and is folowing the bolt when it closes but doesn't have enough force to hit the fireing pin hard enough to fire (this is just what it sounds like without seeing it). Look at your disconector and sear and see if they are worn.

Doesn't it figure that the neater the gun seems the more of a PITA it is!?! I've been tinkering with my PPS 50 drum for a while and with Erik's (Kingson) help, I think I finally figured it out.
One thing about the PPS 50 drum is it seems that the standard copper washed hollow point Federal ammo I get at Wally World doesn't want to feed well. I'm leaning towards trying standard lead nosed ammo like Remington Thunderbolt or the Winchester bulk stuff.

Shoot one round and remove the magazine. See if the bullet in the magazine has scrape marks on top of it from the fired brass being dragged across the top of the bullet. If so, it might be that the bolt is being slowed by the bullet in the magazine. If that's the problem, it could be that the magazine lips need to be adjusted inward, the magazine spring channel needs lube, or the follower needs to be adjusted to angle a little bit more flat. Another solution might be to try cartridges that have more lube on the bullet.
Check also that the sear spring area does not have old grease or thick oil that is slowing down the re-engagement of the sear.
maybe, first shoot some gun scrubber inside to remove everything and use something super slippery in the sear spring area and the magazine spring area(Tri-flow oil?). and then Breakfree on everything else. Make sure the sear notch is clean.

Oil the hell out of it, like others have said, and use high-vel ammo. Not a whole lot that can be 'smithed on those.

You probably already know this, but Calico aka American Industries isn't exactly known for high-quality firarms. They always tend to be on the "gimmick" end of things. Have fun with it, but it is probably always going to be less than 100% fire rate.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

It turned out the the roll pin that holds the trigger group together had drifted out slightly, thus allowing the hammer assembly to shift slightly. I pushed the pin back in and bang bang bang!

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom