Humid!

SKS Ray

NES Member
Anyone else curse the humidity today? Its gotta be 90% out right now. The AC runs constantly in the room where I have my vault. Last thing I want is a spot or two on a rifle where I might have missed some corrosive ammo deposit to soak up moisture and get orange frosty on me.
I know surplus rifles have seen worse conditions. Rain, mud, blood, etc. but when you get one that looks so nice that you swear it was never shot and the blue and wood are mint, you just know someone took good care of it. Whether it was kept well oiled or it spent time in a dry climate, I've seen people ruin a nice rifle by letting humidity attack the wood and metal.
Just another reminder to oil em' up people.

Not just the guns too, a few years back I had not used my reloading dies for a while, when I went to use them some of them had a very nice coating of surface rust. Some oil and scotch brite cleaned them up but what a PIA..

Always a good reminder to take your rifles out of the safe, fondle them each lovingly, then wipe down with oil, and put away!

Earlier this summer I bought a humidity gauge to check out my basement and found it was in the high 50's. I spent the money to get a good dehumidifier and it was worth it. I have been emptying the reservoir (one gallon) at least once a day. It's much better down there now.

I just bought a condensation pump and attached it to my dehumidifier so it doesn't have to be emptied. They have them at home depot for $60. They're on the same shelf as the sump pumps and normally used for HVAC units. Any plumbing store has them too.

Other option is to put the dehumidifier on a table and let it run down hill!

My vault is in the bed room where I like cool AC anyway. It gives me an excuse to open the door and admire everything. Sometimes I sit in there and grin like a little kid.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom