• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting boots, knife, Muzzle loaders

This may seem like a stupid question but: What doe you guys use for boots? I see there are the tall rubber boots, and the work boot types. Which would be better for year round use(October-May)? Would a pair of insulated, waterproof, tall work boot type be best?

As for knifes, do the Knifes with the gut hook/zipper actually make it easier?

Anyone have an experience with muzzle loaders? Who makes a decent mid range muzzle loader?

Lastly is bass pro the best to buy from? I prefer to shop/buy form a small shop, who is the best with this in central MA?

Thank is advance!
Jeff

I have work boot style red wings that have a healthy coat of oil. I use them all winter long except for deer season since the oil smells pretty bad. I use a cheap pair of canvas boots for that.

I like a gut hook but I’ve used a regular knife and the two finger guide method and liked that too. A sharp knife is better than a dull gut hook though. My favorite hunting knife is a $20 Gerber with a 4 in drop point and a gut hook. I like the 4 in blade because it’s easier to get up in the chest with the shorter blade. Second is a drop point Buck with a 6 in blade, no hook.

No experience with a muzzle loader. I'd like to know myself.

These are the boots I hunt with for deer season. One word of caution, they run exactly the right size, and they only go up to 13. I wear a 13 normally, and they are a bit snug if I want to wear heavy wool socks.

For most everything else, I have a pair of Rocky Gortex boots.

Depending on the weather, I will just wear my regular hiking boots for spring and early fall stuff.

As for a knife, I prefer a good sturdy fixed blade for gutting/skinning. Stay away from cheep Chinese stainless crap, as it is impossible to get a truly fine edge, and whatever edge you can get, will quickly be lost.

I hunt with a standard cap and ball muzzleloader. It's plenty powerful enough and more than accurate for any animal, at any distance you will shoot in MA. Though I would love to get one of the new modern inline muzzleloaders, I think it kind of takes away from the spirit of the season to do so.

For hunting boots, I don't think there is a good all around one. The one that comes closest for me is this

Upland hunting on a warm 70 degree October day is very diffferent from sitting on a deer stand on a late December 10 degree day, and they are both different than duck hunting in knee deep water with a skim of ice.

No one boot can do all of those well. Each have different requirements for weight, support, insulation, and waterproof. For that reason, I have several different boots for different purposes.
Much like no one gun can meet all your needs[smile]

As for a knife, any QUALITY 3.5-4" folder has been all I have ever needed. Works for everything from partridge to deer and everything in between. Only requirement is that it holds a very sharp edge.

I have a T/C muzzleloader and I like it. Knight also makes some very nice ones. You can't go wrong with either one.

I hunt with a standard cap and ball muzzleloader. It's plenty powerful enough and more than accurate for any animal, at any distance you will shoot in MA. Though I would love to get one of the new modern inline muzzleloaders, I think it kind of takes away from the spirit of the season to do so.

True, until you see that buck of a lifetime out at 150 yards that would be no problem for the inline, but with the smoothbore cap & ball....... you really shouldn't even consider pulling the trigger.

Who said anything about smooth bore? My barrel is rifled, and depending on where I am hunting will determine weather or not I use a patched ball, or one of the TC Maxi-Hunter bullets.

I have a pair of boots like dixidawg (my favorite boot) for early season. If it gets cold late season, I also have a pair like Adam's. I like them both, but the bean boots are lighter and more comfortable.

Have you field dressed a deer before? If not, your knife won't make a huge difference. make sure it's sharp. If it's a wide blade, that may help you in some areas. Your best bet would be to have someone around to help you. "Butt Out" is an awesome tool, too.

Muzzleloaders are a matter of preference. You ask a hundred people, you'll get a hundred answers. I'd suggest picking up a used Knight Disc or something similar. 209 primers are easier, IMHO, and the disc system keeps everything fairly dry. You can find them online for 100 bucks or so, still in great condition. I think I paid 125 for the one I bought off a forum last year, and it had only been fired once or twice.

As for knifes, do the Knifes with the gut hook/zipper actually make it easier?

Jeff

A good knife or two, and someone to help (with some experience) will make it alot easier. I never used one of those Zipper things. But I have helped out a few times in the gutting process and never needed one. Have some good rope and plastic bags with you too.

Good luck,

--Mike

I wear cabelas silent stockers when it is dry, because they really are very quite in the woods, and being quite in my number one priority. But in snow and rain I wear chippiawa's waterproof boots. If you are hunting from a stand I would get camo boots like Adams, because I really do belive that deer can see black and brown soild boots easyier then camo.

Guts hooks do make it easyier, but you can bump the side of the knife against the inside of the skin.

i

I have a 3.4/4 inch folding buck. My girlfriend got me a 4 inch fixed blade, with a zipper hook for my B-day.

I have field dressed deer before, but I always used my folding Buck knife. I have a set of good stranded work boots, I guess they will do until the cold weather comes and ill invest in a set of insulated boots.

This may seem like a stupid question but: What doe you guys use for boots? Thank is advance! Jeff
Freudian much? [grin]

What style of deer hunting, stand or still? Movement and insulation matters a lot in comfort.

I would not suggest wearing your hunting boots for anything other then hunting/woods work.

As for knifes, do the Knifes with the gut hook/zipper actually make it easier?---Jeff
Yes the gut/hooks help but a straight blade of about 3" should be fine. Sharp matters!

Anyone have an experience with muzzle loaders? Who makes a decent mid range muzzle loader?---
My opinion is based on 1980's technology so others might be more helpful. What type of muzzle loader interests you?

Lastly is bass pro the best to buy from? I prefer to shop/buy form a small shop, who is the best with this in central MA?---Jeff
I work a few miles from Bass Pro but I love Cabelas (Hartford CT).

Thank is advance!
Jeff[/QUOTE]

Respectfully,

jkelly

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom