• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hypothetical Shotgun Purchase

Let's suppose you are out of town for work, and you happen upon a Remington model 11 12 gauge shotgun in amazing shape with a factory "dial a choke" and amazing engraving and wood checkering for the low low price of $217.

Do you go pick it up knowing the wife will find out?
do you work for a living? do you make your own money? are you a man? buy the fkin gun dude.

So unless I am not remembering my Remington date codes well, this has a "PK" marked on the barrel, which puts it as May of 1923 manufacturing date.

This thing is 100 years old.
Yup and it'll shoot just fine. The auto 5 design is solid.

You got a great deal for $250

Do you have any other auto 5s or auto 5 clones? If not just wait till you shoot it......they are really good shotguns.

Yup and it'll shoot just fine. The auto 5 design is solid.

You got a great deal for $250

Do you have any other auto 5s or auto 5 clones? If not just wait till you shoot it......they are really good shotguns.
This makes #3 or 4 for me, all Remington Model 11s.

A friend of mine got married a few years ago, and this was his wedding gift from me. A 1930's Model 11 "The sportsman" that I bought as a 5 gallon bucket of parts.

He keeps it on his mantle (in Colorado)
PXL_20220730_142014554.jpg

Let's suppose you are out of town for work, and you happen upon a Remington model 11 12 gauge shotgun in amazing shape with a factory "dial a choke" and amazing engraving and wood checkering for the low low price of $217.

That's a NO Brainer! Ohhhh hell yeah!!!

What a great shotgun. I love A5s. Being 100 years old sheā€™s barely broken in. Have fun.

And Iā€™m going to go against the grain. Good on you for thinking twice if thatā€™s what your situation is. Iā€™ve been at the ā€œpaying $1.75 for gas in change to make it till paydayā€ point in my finances before, so I know what itā€™s like to have to pass a deal up. But sometimes feeding your kids mean not buying a new gun.
You should also know when a deal is too good to pass and let her know just what youā€™re getting for short money. Sometimes, like this, the deal canā€™t be beat and will never again be seen.
My wife had a cow when I almost bought a Kreighoff drilling (in 16ga to boot!) as $650 was a significant chunk of change to us 25 years ago. Then we saw the other zero and I passed. She realized Iā€™m not an idiot and that would have been a amazing deal.

Yeah, that's like Jazz....If you have to ask, you'll never know.

ETA: You should come out to Southborough Rod & Gun Club, and your new friend can come and play with my A5. [laugh] Shotgun play-date.
Which one of the three I have at home should I bring?

Mod choke, Imp Choke, or this dial a choke?

(Mind you, I suck at clays)

Nice looking gun.

Unknown.jpeg
But these guys wanted pichers of the wife!

Back
Top Bottom