I didn't think I was a builder

Garys

NES Member
Well, I'm still not sure about it either. Back last Summer when I decided I'd like start shooting my almost 30 y/o 10/22 I also started looking at stuff on Ebay for it.

I ended up buying a kit to "accurize" the rifle. Trigger springs, shims, recoil buffer, automatic bolt release, and so on. I spent a couple of hours taking the rifle apart and putting the new parts in. There was some cursing going on, but overall, not too bad a job. I took it down to the range and wonder of wonders, it shot just fine. It looks stock, but has a lot of new parts.

Anyway, I bought another 10/22 a few weeks ago at Marlboro. This one is Stainless and a beauty. At first I wasn't going to do anything to it, but you know how that went. First, I bought an automatic bolt release and put it in. Then, I ordered a recoil buffer and a stainless retaining screw. Now, I have a trigger kit AND a used laminated stock on the way. The stock is Ruger Grey laminate that is functionally the same as the Walnut one that the rifle came with. It just LOOKS better with the stainless.

Of course I got a Brownell's catalog and there's a million different parts in it as well as tools. I've started to think that maybe I could actually build or improve a 1911. I was even looking at some Mosin Nagant 91/30 barrelled receivers and thinking I could make a custom rifle.

Look what you people have done to me! <G>

Gary

Same here! Got a Preban AR a couple weeks ago "just in case" I'd ever want to put something interesting on it. All that's left of the original now is the charging handle, magazine latch, and what I should've just bought as a stripped lower! (How did that all happen so quickly?) Oh, it's plenty interesting now

Now my Para .40 1911 gets scared when I look at it...

The 10/22 is a fun little rifle to build on, especially after you learn how to get the *%#&@! bolt to go back in right. LOL
Even just as fun is the SKS, although there is quite a bit of junk out there for sale when it comes to SKS goodies like receiver cover scope mounts, detachable magazines, etc. You can get a good idea what works and what doesn't by reading message boards and checking web sites that deal with customization.
As for a Mosin barrled receiver, i've thought about it, especially some of the Finn M39 ones that WGA sells. My interest would be converting it back to original military configuration. I'm sure a Finn M39 would be harder to do so with than a standard 91/30. Of course theres always the synthetic stock deal, but the thought of it turns my stomach. Guess thats the preservist in me, if preservist is even a word. I've seen folks on the paralax forums go so far as to try and match up Turk Mauser bolts by listing what numbers they had. In the words of Mick Foley "Now thats hardcore!"

Milsurps 4 Me said:
The 10/22 is a fun little rifle to build on, especially after you learn how to get the *%#&@! bolt to go back in right. LOL

It's not complicated, it's just a pain to get it to sit right and engage the bolt handle properly. I think it takes three hands to do it right. <G>

Milsurps 4 Me said:
Even just as fun is the SKS, although there is quite a bit of junk out there for sale when it comes to SKS goodies like receiver cover scope mounts, detachable magazines, etc. You can get a good idea what works and what doesn't by reading message boards and checking web sites that deal with customization.

Or, I could ask you!

Milsurps 4 Me said:
As for a Mosin barrled receiver, i've thought about it, especially some of the Finn M39 ones that WGA sells.

Who is WGA?

Gary

No problem if you want info on SKS accessories. Anything you wanna know just ask. If I can't help you with it i'm sure I can get an answer, or someone else here might know. I've spent many hours reading posts and reviews on SKS products simply because I didn't want to make a bad investment. In fact when i'm done with my sniper drill and tap project, i'll post all the info on the builders section along with thoughts on accuracy and any pros and cons of the mount, scope, and overall build.
WGA stands for Wholesale Guns and Ammo. They're a NY company that sells Finn capture M39 Mosin Nagant rifles. They had a license to sell but I think they got in some trouble with the ATF and are now only able to sell Finn M39 rifles with antique receivers. I picked up some beauties from there. http://gunsnammo.com/

Back
Top Bottom