I feel pretty stupid

PatMcD

NES Member
I was reading another forum thread about a guy feeling stupid. His scores were way down from what they used to be and was scratching his head. Another shooter took a look at his rifle and said "you might want to tighten up the set screw on your front sight".
I pull mine out of the case a few minutes ago, and sure enough; front sight is wobbling around like a dick in a shirtsleeve. Set screw is almost all the way out. I changed out the front sight to a wider one back in late May and must have just omitted that part of re-assembly. What a dumb-ass.

I had 2 rookie mistakes on one bird at the Mass State Trap shoot ( and I'm no rookie).

Called for the bird, SH!T safety on! That was the first mistake.

Took off the safety, tried to get the bird way the hell out there. "Lost!" That was the second mistake.

Should have taken it as a Failure to Fire (no penalty, you get two), and called for another bird. (statisitcally, I have about a 90% chance of breaking it)

An expert is a person that's made every mistake in a given field. [laugh]

I just put ten rds on a SR taget and my zero hasn't changed at 200yds. I'm surprised; thought it might be printing a little low. I'm going to have to shoot the squadded practice on Sunday to check my 300 & 600.

Charlie; short sleeve or long? Never mind; I don't want to know.

I was reading another forum thread about a guy feeling stupid. His scores were way down from what they used to be and was scratching his head. Another shooter took a look at his rifle and said "you might want to tighten up the set screw on your front sight".
I pull mine out of the case a few minutes ago, and sure enough; front sight is wobbling around like a dick in a shirtsleeve. Set screw is almost all the way out. I changed out the front sight to a wider one back in late May and must have just omitted that part of re-assembly. What a dumb-ass.

So, basically, what you are telling us is you have a couple of screws loose?[laugh]

As far as excuses go that one's just a tiny bit better than "the sun was in my eye." [wink]

Next week it'll be "I'm bunking with Leo." (Only that will actually be a valid excuse.)

My personal take on excuses is this: There is no such thing. You either perform or you do not. Equipment under your control is part of your performance.
That being said, I would have shot a 798-68x if it hadn't been for my loose front sight.

My personal take on excuses is this: There is no such thing. You either perform or you do not. Equipment under your control is part of your performance.
That being said, I would have shot a 798-68x if it hadn't been for my loose front sight.

Hey man, I shot a 749 last weekend. I went so far as to go to a real doctor to diagnosed with pneumonia. How's that for an excuse? [wink]

well since you've got all the answers, find me a new excuse too. I freaking cleaned the offhand string @ the EIC @ reading on sunday, only to drop 8 points rapid prone.

(still scratching my head on that one)

well since you've got all the answers, find me a new excuse too. I freaking cleaned the offhand string @ the EIC @ reading on sunday, only to drop 8 points rapid prone.

(still scratching my head on that one)

You were thinking about how you just cleaned your offhand when you should have been thinking about rapid prone. [grin]

Now let me arsk a stupid question: what rifle are you talking about?

Aside from loctite you can make witness marks: put a drop of white out where the screw touches the block and then you'll know if it moves again.

Last edited:
AR15 service rifle. They typically have windage adjustable front sight bases, so you can "zero" your rifle with your rear sight at (or very near) mechanical zero. its important though, that once you've got it zeroed, that you use a bit of #209 (green) loctite (the wicking/after assembly type) to secure the adjustment screws. I also put a drop or two around the front band on the a-frame, just to be doubly sure that it doesnt move.

AR15 service rifle. They typically have windage adjustable front sight bases, so you can "zero" your rifle with your rear sight at (or very near) mechanical zero. its important though, that once you've got it zeroed, that you use a bit of #209 (green) loctite (the wicking/after assembly type) to secure the adjustment screws. I also put a drop or two around the front band on the a-frame, just to be doubly sure that it doesnt move.

I think Pat was talking about the post itself, not the base.

Oh okay, so they're the match sights then. I see. Thanks.

just checked mine. its tight, but my post doesnt wobble at all if i loosen that set screw?

Some don't even have a set screw. It's one of those things like a pinned rear sight - not really needed but nice to have.

Exactly. I would have had a tremendous finish at New Bedford last Sunday if I hadn't shot the no-shoot right out of the box and if I hadn't loaded an out of spec round that didn't chamber and ended up jamming my gun.

In many sports victory often goes to the person who is most consistent and makes the fewest mistakes.

I'm talking about the set screw that runs up under the front sight post. My post does (did) wobble if you put finger pressure on it. I don't think it was loose enough to change shot-to-shot, though.
Do I expect my scores to change because of it? Absolutely not.

I think the comparison to a pinned rear sight is correct. It's not absolutely necessary and it's not likely to change your overall performance, but it's good for your mental game to know that your equipment is as close to perfect as possible.

I had 2 rookie mistakes on one bird at the Mass State Trap shoot ( and I'm no rookie).

Called for the bird, SH!T safety on! That was the first mistake. Show me one person who hasn't done this [laugh]

An expert is a person that's made every mistake in a given field. [laugh]
Rule #16: You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom