I Got my LTC-A today!!!

Resident of Grafton, MA. Received liscence (first one, not a renewal) in 36 days. LTC-A, NO RESTRICTIONS. They took photos and fingerprints when I dropped off the application. Everybody was pleasant and efficient and very helpful with questions I had. There is still hope in this state. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend!

Resident of Grafton, MA. Received liscence (first one, not a renewal) in 36 days. LTC-A, NO RESTRICTIONS. They took photos and fingerprints when I dropped off the application. Everybody was pleasant and efficient and very helpful with questions I had. There is still hope in this state. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend!

congrats!
i need to move out here...somewhere in the 3 month range and i'm still waiting

Last edited:
Conga-rats, zenprop! (and I'm just dying to know what that screen name means!)

congarats.gif

So... what's the first purchase?

Dwarven, I used to play rugby. My position was Prop. I also do alot of reading about Budhism and Zen and the like and one day "zenprop" was born. As far as a first purchase I can't decide if I'm going to spend the money on a Sig p229 or save a little cash and get a S&W 59 or 69 series. I haven't seen any 229's around so I'll have to wait for one to appear but I really don't know if I can wait.

Dwarven, I used to play rugby. My position was Prop. I also do alot of reading about Budhism and Zen and the like and one day "zenprop" was born. As far as a first purchase I can't decide if I'm going to spend the money on a Sig p229 or save a little cash and get a S&W 59 or 69 series. I haven't seen any 229's around so I'll have to wait for one to appear but I really don't know if I can wait.
Not knowing anything about rugby, I'll have to ask my niece what Prop does (I just found out today that my 17 year old, 5'1" niece plays rugby... [rolleyes] but then, she also likes shooting a .45, too, so being small apparently doesn't deter my niece from anything!).

As for Sigs... I was just up at K&R Target Sports in Hudson, MA and I noticed at least 2 Sigs in the cases. Not being really interested in them, I didn't notice the models. You could probably give Ray a call tomorrow and ask him what he's got, though.

That's great.

How did you receive notice that you got it? Did you just receive the license in the mail?

I dropped mine off today and they didn't fingerprint me nor photo me (I submitted passport photos myself)

Underwhere, where do you live (Grafton)? Thay called me this morning. I got the message when I got home from work and took a ride down to the station to pick it up. In Grafton they do LTC apps on Tuesday and Thursdays. So when you drop off the application the do prints and digital photos right then and there. I was out of there in 15 minutes.

Underwhere, where do you live (Grafton)? Thay called me this morning. I got the message when I got home from work and took a ride down to the station to pick it up. In Grafton they do LTC apps on Tuesday and Thursdays. So when you drop off the application the do prints and digital photos right then and there. I was out of there in 15 minutes.

No sorry. I'm off topic. I live in Lexington.

What are you going to buy now that you're licensed?

That's great.

How did you receive notice that you got it? Did you just receive the license in the mail?

I dropped mine off today and they didn't fingerprint me nor photo me (I submitted passport photos myself)

You'll have to go back to get printed. They won't process your LTC app without them, as your finger trigger print will be on the actual card when it's ready. When I had mine renewed last year, they use a digital fingerprint scanner. No more ink.

I go to American Firearms School sometimes (I work near there) and Boston Gun Range sometimes (a little to expensive for my liking). BGR charges $200 smackers for a yearly membership and it still costs $10 for an hour's worth of shooting. AFS is $225 a year with no fee to shoot ($20/hr for non members). I want to lok into some of the local Gun/hunting clubs. I would like an outside range option for nice weather. The only problem with most local clubs is the only allow .22lr on the inside range. I'm picking up a Sig p226tomorrow (in 9mm) so I'll have to see how everything plays out. Oh, I also want to check out Worcester Pistol in Boylston. I've heard great things about it on this site; 24 hour access, you can fire anything you want there.

I go to American Firearms School sometimes (I work near there) and Boston Gun Range sometimes (a little to expensive for my liking). BGR charges $200 smackers for a yearly membership and it still costs $10 for an hour's worth of shooting. AFS is $225 a year with no fee to shoot ($20/hr for non members). I want to lok into some of the local Gun/hunting clubs. I would like an outside range option for nice weather. The only problem with most local clubs is the only allow .22lr on the inside range. I'm picking up a Sig p226tomorrow (in 9mm) so I'll have to see how everything plays out. Oh, I also want to check out Worcester Pistol in Boylston. I've heard great things about it on this site; 24 hour access, you can fire anything you want there.

WPR is nice. I haven't been there in years but from what I've heard
it's still as good as it's always been. Good indoor and outdoor
facilities.

There aren't that many clubs in MA with minimally restricted indoor
ranges... so make sure you check the rules before you expend the time
and effort to join. Many of them have restrictions on target distance (eg
no closer than XX feet) or lots of onerous ammo restrictions (eg, lead
only, or lead only under 1000 fps) From what I remember WPR's were
very reasonable, though.

-Mike

There aren't that many clubs in MA with minimally restricted indoor ranges... so make sure you check the rules before you expend the time and effort to join. Many of them have restrictions on target distance (eg no closer than XX feet) or lots of onerous ammo restrictions (eg, lead only, or lead only under 1000 fps) From what I remember WPR's were very reasonable, though.
Most of these restrictions are due to the limitations of the facility -- they're not put in place just to be capricious.

For example, at the club I belong to, the indoor range used to be just .22lr simply because the backstop couldn't take anything stronger than that. We've since upgraded the backstop, but you have to shoot at the firing line (about 45' from the backstop). You can't move closer than that to the backstop. The reason for this is that our backstop is a venetian-blind type backstop and you do get bounce back. We use hanging fabric to reduce the bounce back, but you still get some. If you were 15' from the backstop, you could get hit your bullet and/or jacket bouncing back.

In addition, if you are ahead of the firing line, then you are stirring up the lead dust on the floor...

Most of these restrictions are due to the limitations of the facility -- they're not put in place just to be capricious.

I understand that but the fact remains that at the end of the day some
clubs have better capability (and better thought out/more reasonable rules)
than others do. My comment was basically saying- if you're trying to
find an indoor range that isn't going to frustrate you, then you need to
shop around. A lot of people join up somewhere, and then get irritated
because they didn't read the rules and may have ended up with a
stockpile of ammo they couldn't use inside, (or an entire category of
handguns they weren't allowed to shoot. )

In addition, if you are ahead of the firing line, then you are stirring up the lead dust on the floor...

I never said people should shoot in front of the line- the distance thing
is based on some clubs having rules stating that the targets can shot
at (while on the hanger) no closer than say, 21 feet from the line.
While I understand what they're trying to do (prevent morons from
shooting up the ceiling) the problem is when a rule like that is set hard
and fast it makes no exception for those of us who don't put holes in
the ceiling.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom