I have always hated movies about Vietnam!

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
They all start out OK....some are even real in the beginning......but they turn into twisted shit that conveys all of us a baby killers, and piss me off!

My Dad's generation (WWII) had a lot of movies that portrayed them in a good light.

But we Vietnam Veterans all got screwed by Hollywood!

The only movey I have ever seen about Vietnam that was truthful was Forrest Gump![rofl][rofl]

I can't really say what happened as obviously I wasn't there. I'm sure somewhere some how during that war some one shot a civilian and like you say it's been portrayed as that's all Americans did there. The helicopter scene from full metal jacket comes to mind.

It's just Hollywood being Hollywood we know even the based on true stories are stretched and twisted for dramatic purposes.

The whining liberals from the 70's grew up to be the Hollywood directors of today. You know, the same ones that are still casting Jane Fonda in movies.

fonda_traitor.jpg

What do you expect when occupying a country isn't as glamorous as killing nazis.

Evidently I am in my second or third childhood LOL, its based on a true story and and the two SF duece gear is very SOG. Go tell the Spartans with Burt Lancaster is pretty good also M1/2 carbine M3 submachine guns.

I like the movie and I know there's truth behind it but am I remembering it wrong but it was toned down for kids right ?

Bat*21 was good, but obviously tightly focused.

Go Tell the Spartans was already mentioned, not a great movie, but did not take too skewed a view.

A Rumor of War was interesting.

The Boys of Comany C was good.

Not Hollywood, but I always liked The Odd Angry Shot.

The Green Berets was classic John Wayne, just helecopters instead of horses.

We Were Soldiers, not as good as the book, but what movie is.

All "Vietnam" movies are crap, particularly Apocalypse Now.

Amen! Movies are made to sell tickets and videos, rather than to be factual. Little fact , mostly bull and founded on many rumors. My problem is that people really believe the bull and rumors. Twenty years after I returned home my brother asked if he could ask a question about Nam. I said ok, one question. He then proceeded to ask me if I cut off Charlies ears and wore then around our neck. WTF!

What about Hamburger Hill?

"Hamburger Hill
is a 1987 American war film about the actual assault of the U.S. Army's 3rd Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment, part of the 3rd Brigade, 101st"

Was it even close?

Platoon is a crappy "Vietnam" movie. A piss poor representation, as are all the rest. A "masterpiece"?
Bah hah hah.........

It's the highest rated Vietnam movie on IMDB, I don't think it's crappy. Maybe typical 80s action/drama but it was a great film. Maybe masterpiece wasn't the right word but it's better than what people consider good war films like Pearl Harbor, Black Hawk Down, etc.

It's the highest rated Vietnam movie on IMDB, I don't think it's crappy. Maybe typical 80s action/drama but it was a great film. Maybe masterpiece wasn't the right word but it's better than what people consider good war films like Pearl Harbor, Black Hawk Down, etc.

Highest rated for what? Entertainment value? What's that got to do with fact? Zilch. The movie was a piss poor representation albeit better than most of the others.

Any vets here care to share which, if not the actual movie itself, but a scene in a movie which in their opinion was a fairly accurate portrayal?

Any vets here care to share which, if not the actual movie itself, but a scene in a movie which in their opinion was a fairly accurate portrayal?

Not a vet but I saw saving pvt Ryan with my friend and his grand dad . His grand dad broke down and walked out . When we found him out side he told us it was to real for him.

Back
Top Bottom