I have always hated movies about Vietnam!

Not a vet but I saw saving pvt Ryan with my friend and his grand dad . His grand dad broke down and walked out . When we found him out side he told us it was to real for him.

Not a vet either, but the Normandy scene had me sitting there thinking, "...Jesus". There wasnt any typical Hollywood vibe going on in that scene.

Any vets here care to share which, if not the actual movie itself, but a scene in a movie which in their opinion was a fairly accurate portrayal?

The taking of Hamburger Hill. Only the taking part. Could have used more chopper and jet air support for realism though.

Last edited:
Flight of the Intruder and BAT21 are my two favorite Vietnam films. I had "Go Tell the Spartans" and I didn't like it.

Pearl Harbor was a love story, with a little WWII mixed in. I didn't expect anything to be remotely historically accurate, and the scenes of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor were what I expected. Crap.

Watching the episode of band of brothers the night before the invasion while the c-37s were dropping they paratroopers in under fire with my grandfather. He said It was like reliving that mission. I have a few pictures of his plane that were taken after an emergency landing in holland I think. The thing was riddled with bullet holes. I'll find them and post them up.

I've a Vietnam vet.. I don't watch movies any of the Vietnam War because I have my own "movie" of that time and those experience I went through ready to play anytime in my head and any time I want to play the "rewind" button.

Each of our experiences are unique to our own lives. I have no desire to "share" the highs and lows nor want to discuss how accurate an entertainment industry has come to manufacturing a war "experience" for others entertainment.

War and combat is a personal and individual experience, each person enters and leaves it a different person.

The experience needs no glorification nor condemnation by some Hollywood movie producers. Most of these movies are made for those who never went and are produced for an audience who "wants the experience" while seated in the safety of a theater seat or eating popcorn on their living room couches. Safe and comfortable away from the blood, sweat, fear, boredom and the reality of death at any moment. Troops looking at the calendar and counting the months, weeks, days and hours till you can rotate out and get back to the "real world"! Troops waiting for mail call or a few moments of internet chat being a lifeline to the "real world" and the life half a world away.

How can movies convey the " Alice down the rabbit hole" feeling that you get when in one day you are in the USA eating McDonalds and enjoying life, 24-48 hours later by plane your in a strange violent environment where you've never been before, don't know the rules and people are trying to kill you and you are trying to kill them. Then "magically" on some arbitrary date on a calendar, your whisked away back to "the world" and expected to act to like nothing in the previous time period had any affect on you.

Thanks people, you can have your war movies and enjoy them to your hearts content.

The "movies" I have of the brave stands , my fallen friends, and the face of the enemy fire is more than enough for me.

Memorial Day is one day for some to remember, for those who went and fought, we need no movies or a single day to remember, the experience of our times.... we remember each and every day.

Maybe its crude.. but I remember a saying we use to say when we came back from Vietnam .... "if you haven't been there, then shut the fu*k up!"

Last edited:
+1 was going to mention this one. Thought it was good would like to hear what sky and other Vietnam vets say.

My cousin did two tours in the 1st air calvary (M60 gunner) i think 68 and 69. he didn't like apocalypse now or platoon all that much. He did like Hamburger Hill though.

What about Hamburger Hill?

"Hamburger Hill
is a 1987 American war film about the actual assault of the U.S. Army's 3rd Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment, part of the 3rd Brigade, 101st"

Was it even close?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

I've a Vietnam vet.. I don't watch movies any of the Vietnam War because I have my own "movie" of that time and those experience I went through ready to play anytime in my head and any time I want to play the "rewind" button.

Each of our experiences are unique to our own lives. I have no desire to "share" the highs and lows nor want to discuss how accurate an entertainment industry has come to manufacturing a war "experience" for others entertainment.

War and combat is a personal and individual experience, each person enters and leaves it a different person.

The experience needs no glorification nor condemnation by some Hollywood movie producers. Most of these movies are made for those who never went and are produced for an audience who "wants the experience" while seated in the safety of a theater seat or eating popcorn on their living room couches. Safe and comfortable away from the blood, sweat, fear, boredom and the reality of death at any moment. Troops looking at the calendar and counting the months, weeks, days and hours till you can rotate out and get back to the "real world"! Troops waiting for mail call or a few moments of internet chat being a lifeline to the "real world" and the life half a world away.

How can movies convey the " Alice down the rabbit hole" feeling that you get when in one day you are in the USA eating McDonalds and enjoying life, 24-48 hours later by plane your in a strange violent environment where you've never been before, don't know the rules and people are trying to kill you and you are trying to kill them. Then "magically" on some arbitrary date on a calendar, your whisked away back to "the world" and expected to act to like nothing in the previous time period had any affect on you.

Thanks people, you can have your war movies and enjoy them to your hearts content.

The "movies" I have of the brave stands , my fallen friends, and the face of the enemy fire is more than enough for me.

Memorial Day is one day for some to remember, for those who went and fought, we need no movies or a single day to remember, the experience of our times.... we remember each and every day.

Maybe its crude.. but I remember a saying we use to say when we came back from Vietnam .... "if you haven't been there, then shut the fu*k up!"

From what I've seen here on NES, the Nam vets that do comment here, deliberately do so in a way lacking the real detail of their experience for obvious reasons. We know that those who didn't experience Nam are curious and having three much younger brothers I'm particularly in tune with this curiosity factor. I believe that the curiosity is a healthy, respectful curiosity that deserves the attention and understanding of those whose who have the actual life experience. The day will come when those with this experience will be gone and there will be no one for these men, both young and old to learn about this particular piece of history from first hand. If you are willing to share some of your first hand knowledge/life experience with these guys , I assure you that there are those of them here that will be like a sponge absorbing what you have to offer and appreciate whatever you may be willing to share. No need to share extremes. For example, who here doesn't like the smell of gunfire in volume? Who here found this smell for first time in Nam? See. Pretty harmless . As it stands, all they have to go on is the HOLLYWOOD version of where you've been and what you've done. Look at Sky. He shares and they love the wacky b******. No offense meant SKY. I'm one of your most avid followers.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "We were Soldiers" with Mel Gibson.

The man he portrayed, Hal Moore (BG USA retired) says it was as accurate to what really happened as possible in a 2 hour movie.

Back
Top Bottom