I Know this Is A Stupid Question BUT....

I own two Glocks ( 19 + 22) I'm probably not the most accurate shooter but I'm far from a beginner. When I shoot each gun, but aim at the same center mass area on the target I always get different results. The 19 always seems to shoot high and the 22 always seems to shoot low...I'm sure its me but man this is crazy.
Anyway my question is, can I take both of these guns somewhere (gun shop?) and have them test it and make sure the fixed sights are correct ?[laugh]
Any info would be appreciated.
Thank you

You could take them to a gunsmith and have them sighted to make sure the sights are accurate, but my guess is that isn't going to solve the problem. Considering that the 19 is a 9mm and the 22 is a .40 cal, and the fact that one is shooting high and the other low generally describes a problem with your shooting style. You may be over-compensating for the recoil on the 19 and under-compensating on the 22, or vice versa. It could also be a problem with your stance, grip or even breathing technique. If both pistols check out, then you may want to consider having an instructor observe your shooting to see what you may be doing wrong. I used to have the same problem when I'd switch back and forth between calibers.

I also had problems with the tagets I was using. If I was shooting at a silhouette taget, for example, and I was aiming center mass, my shots would tend to stray all over the place. Someting about the lines would mess with my brain. I found that if I turned the target around and just shot at the blank paper, all my shots would be either in or right around the bullseye with very tight grouping. The difference was astounding.

You could take them to a gunsmith and have them sighted to make sure the sights are accurate, but my guess is that isn't going to solve the problem. Considering that the 19 is a 9mm and the 22 is a .40 cal, and the fact that one is shooting high and the other low generally describes a problem with your shooting style. You may be over-compensating for the recoil on the 19 and under-compensating on the 22, or vice versa. It could also be a problem with your stance, grip or even breathing technique. If both pistols check out, then you may want to consider having an instructor observe your shooting to see what you may be doing wrong. I used to have the same problem when I'd switch back and forth between calibers.

I also had problems with the tagets I was using. If I was shooting at a silhouette taget, for example, and I was aiming center mass, my shots would tend to stray all over the place. Someting about the lines would mess with my brain. I found that if I turned the target around and just shot at the blank paper, all my shots would be either in or right around the bullseye with very tight grouping. The difference was astounding.[/QUOT

I also had problems with the tagets I was using. If I was shooting at a silhouette taget, for example, and I was aiming center mass, my shots would tend to stray all over the place. Someting about the lines would mess with my brain. I found that if I turned the target around and just shot at the blank paper, all my shots would be either in or right around the bullseye with very tight grouping. The difference was astounding.[/QUOT

Thank you for your advice.

Take a privet lesson from a certified instructor. The money will be well spent and you will learn the correct stance, grip, sight alignment and trigger control.
The instructor will be able to coach you and help you brake any bad habits you have learned on your own.
The Smith and Wesson Shooting Sports Center does privet lessons. Just call to set something up.

Take a privet lesson from a certified instructor. The money will be well spent and you will learn the correct stance, grip, sight alignment and trigger control.
The instructor will be able to coach you and help you brake any bad habits you have learned on your own.
The Smith and Wesson Shooting Sports Center does privet lessons. Just call to set something up.

Good advice. The other thing you can try is to locate an active competitive shooter, someone who is known to be good. Let him/her try your guns at a range. I once had an old time bullseye shooter try a revolver that I thought was having issues. His comment to me was something along the line of "Gun is fine, shooter needs work." [laugh] He was correct. The guy had probably forgotten more about accurate shooting than I'll ever know.

You can actually carry out some accuracy tests yourself, with a bench and some sandbags. Take your time and concentrate on your sight picture, trigger squeeze, and breathing. Fire five shot strings at a bullseye target and take a break in between strings. Do this a few times and see what kind of results you get. Try this with a couple of different types of ammo. You might be surprised at how accurate and consistent the guns are. Remember that your goal is to keep each shot as consistent as possible. If you can borrow a Ransom rest, with the proper inserts, even better.

Good luck!

Jon over at GOAL is a great instructor and very reasonably priced. One thing he had me do for the larger calibers that helped for anticipation was randomly loading snap caps into the mag. Then when you are shooting and hit a snap cap you will very easily see if you are dipping the gun to compensate for the kick. Then you need to just concentrate on the trigger squeeze and forget everything else. That will help with your elevation. After you have that down, move onto your left or right drift. Another thing that helped was after using snap caps randomly at the range, go home and use just snap caps. Over and over again concentrate on just pulling that trigger and not having the gun move up or down. Hope it helps!

All the training and use advice is GREAT advice and should likely be followed, however don't rule out an elevation issue with the sights.

First: What range are you shooting at?
Second: Are you shooting tight or loose groups?
Third: Are they an inch or two high / low or are they wildly high or low?

While the issue is most likely shooter error, the sights may be off as well. Glock makes rear sights with different heights specifically to address such issues, especially if you're shooting a nice, tight group an inch or two off the point of aim.

While a training session with a good trainer would still be of great value, loaning the gun to a competition shooter to "try" and compare the point of impact to point of aim is likely the fastest way to rule out an issue with the sights.

Back
Top Bottom