I Need to Buy More Ammo!

P-14

NES Member
I need to buy more ammo!

“But How Much Ammo Do I Need Anyway? You need exactly one case more than you currently have.” - Greg Perry

So, I'm inventorying my ammo if the SHTF:

7.62x39: Good
.223: Good
45ACP: 75 rounds of carry and 2000 rounds of target (lead SWC)!!!!!

[shocked] Long gun ammo is good, but the the pistol ammo is too light.

I need to buy a few hundred more rounds of 185 gr. JHP Remington Golden Sabers!

Anyone else light on their pistol ammo because they've been investing in long gun ammo?

Anyone know who sells it locally?

Last edited:
I used to go to WalMart every week and buy a box or two of what I was getting low on. Didn't take long to stock up.

When I get low on one caliber I start buying it, or add it to the mix.

I will never have enough ammo until I can move around pallets of it with a
forklift and require a bunker/warehouse.

Too bad I don't have much more than a few thousand rounds altogether right
now. [sad]

-Mike

Is there ever really enough ammo. Buy it cheap and stack it deep!!!

I used to go to WalMart every week and buy a box or two of what I was getting low on. Didn't take long to stock up.

Ha, ha: I learned a similar habit from a guy on another forum.

I Live in NH: Weekly, the wife always calls me at WM, or before she goes there, and asks if I need anything....I tell her, "yeah...Can you pick up a few boxes of .223, (or whatever cal.)"....It doesn't take long for your own inventory to build up, and to keep building up....

You can never have too much. I usually grab a box or 2 every time I go to a sporting goods or gun store.

I can't find a Wal Mart in Mass that has 2.23 or 5.56 ammo. I have been buying .40 and .22 ammo every trip to the Mass Wally world.

I might have to make a trip to the Wally World across the northern border. .

For TSHTF how much ammo do you need? A 200 gr SWC is going to ruin anyones day in a hurry. How much food do you have stored? Water? I would spend the money on that first.

What about reloading?

The prices for WWB .40 and Rem .223 even at Walmart make stockpiling factory rounds very expensive. With the recent price increases, how many are reloading or are considering it?

You can make your own .223 for almost half of what you would pay for junk:

Wolf ammo: 1000 rounds Wolf .223 55g (if you can find it) = $300 plus shipping

Using the handloading calculator at http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp the cost to make 1000 rounds is about $180 assuming the following costs:
1000 55g bullets: ~$100
Powder: ~$20/lb
Primers: ~$25/1000
Cases: free (hopefully)

Of course, making 1000 rounds takes some time and you have to buy some reloading equipment. But the accuracy of handloads compared to cheap factory rounds is amazing. I was shooting Winchester White Box 55g (when it was $6/box) before I was setup for reloading 223. My 4-5 shot groups were often 2" or more at 100yds using a scope. After several hundred rounds of practice, I was beginning to think it was my shooting that was the problem. I then started reloading and suddenly my groups were right around 1" with the occasional flyer here and there.

Getting into reloading is not too expensive if you start with a Lee press/dies. I would rather have a cabinet full of powder/primers/bullets than a couple thousand rounds of junk ready to go. Any thoughts?

Little hard to carry though. And for the record, I have family in Aalen. Uncle Kurt went off to Russia one day with the German Army and hasn't been heard from since.

Well, clearly he's off having a great time, because my Father's side of the family hasn't been heard from since right about the time old Kurt went east. If fact, wherever they went must have been so exciting that they forgot to pack-they just left everything and marched off. Wow, can you just imagine somewhere that exciting. Why Kurt was so excited he left with the winter right around the corner!

For TSHTF how much ammo do you need? A 200 gr SWC is going to ruin anyones day in a hurry. How much food do you have stored? Water? I would spend the money on that first.

200 gr swc would be the last resort - I worry about lack of penetration with winter coats, etc. on. Besides, cleaning all that lead out of the barrel is no fun. I use a few jacketed rounds at the bottom of the magazine to clean it out. I STILL NEED MORE AMMO!

And, you can use the ammo to get food and water. And if TWEAWKI, ammo may be the new currency!

reality

does not matter how much ammo you have the only s**t hit the fan is if no more for sale .if there is total ban no amount is going to save you .reality is couple hundred agents on you.and your alone because regardless of the retaric no one is going to help you.after all your a religous wacko and child molester.note the waco case.I would be more interested in reloading and casting.stocking powder and primers. [grin]

does not matter how much ammo you have the only s**t hit the fan is if no more for sale .if there is total ban no amount is going to save you .reality is couple hundred agents on you.and your alone because regardless of the retaric no one is going to help you.after all your a religous wacko and child molester.note the waco case.I would be more interested in reloading and casting.stocking powder and primers. [grin]

Grin, think I'm covered. Most likely will not have to even think of buying ammo for years. [wink]

I'm with the WM folks. It's on my way to and from work. I stop in once a week to pick up a bunch...probably will today. It's so tempting to not buy everyday since I go past it to and from work!!

Back
Top Bottom