• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I need your opinon on what you think is a better shooter.

The M39 wins on all of the above criteria, hands down. The Finns provided heavier barrels, heavier stocks (which were often shimmed with internal spacers on the action screws to provide the best fit), and (I understand) tested their rifles for accuracy. This resulted in more accurate shooting and milder recoil, and a very sturdy rifle. Of course, the rifle was a bit heavier than the Mosin-Nagant 91.

Being a poor country, Finland changed the stocks repeatedly over the years, going through fairly high quality woodworking efforts to join the stock lower forend with the shoulder piece. A quick inspection of the lower part of the stock shows what appears to be a repair, but what is actually a planned connstruction method for splicing the pieces together.

Much info (with photos) on M39 variants may be found at:

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/finnish_mosin_nagantm39.asp

The M91s are more collectable especially if you find one matching and in great shape. As for shooters though I'd go with the M39. They're beefier, made better, & less of a PITA to strip for complete cleaning.
The M91s often have screws holding the barrel bands in place, usually on the side instead of inside where you think they'd be. They look almost Bubba untill you realize they were put there by Finn armorers. Plus getting the barrel bands off and then back on without gouging up the wood a little is pretty tough.
The M39 also has a great front sight adjusting option that lest you move it with screws on each side. Loosen one, tighten the other, and the sight moves left/right. IMO they have much smoother actions too, and thats something important when shooting a Mosin.

Great.. thanks very much guys..

I asked because I am debating which one of the two to purchase from WGA, but I decided I'll go for the M39 & put the M91 on hold til I get some extra funds.

Thanks for the link Amicus... Great information there

Back
Top Bottom