I PASSED MY CIVIL EXAM, NOW WHAT?

i passed my civil service exam. i received my scores at the end of september, and scored very well i might add. to no suprise i have received no calls from any of the pd's on my list. any advice? thanks

Now you have to wait for one of the towns you chose to call for a list. If you are on the list, they will send you a postcard asking you if you are interested in the job. So basicaly you sit and wait. Took me 8 years of testing to get in, be patient.

They haven't come out with the new list yet. The Civil Service web site says that it SHOULD be established by NOV 1st

If any of the pd's that you signed up for hire before the new list comes out they won't even have your name.

It sucks that it takes so long [sad2]

The test is usually every 2 years, I took it last year and did OK. I don't know why they offered it again this year but I took it like a lot of other people to try and raise my score, now for next year they merged it with the State Police Exam witch pretty much guaranties I'll be taking it again next year.

3 years in a row X $100 per test....what a scam[thinking]

My first advice is to be patient. It is hit or miss depending on where you live and what towns/cities you selected. I was fortunate enough to get selected off the last list. I scored a 10 and had residency. [smile]

If your selected towns/cities are not hiring at the moment or they hire before your list is published then you miss out. Just be patient, get to school (something I didn't do and will now be doing after work [sad]) and stay out of trouble. Oh yeah...get in shape. Don't think that going to an academy will GET YOU IN SHAPE. You need to show up in shape or life will be hell. It also looks better for you if you show up to your perspective departments for interviews and such in good athletic condition. That and I don't want the closest backup officer to be some out of shape lump that won't be able to help me if I need it.

from what I've heard all the next two academy classes have been cancelled because of the budget

That depends on what academy you would be going to. New Bedford, and a couple others were permanently shut down but last Monday a new western MA class started at STCC. Be patient, don't get overwhelmed with people speading negativity (not the above quote but what you will hear while you are waiting).

Check out masscops.com forums for pretty current updates.

not to be a bearer of bad news but there will probably be very limited positions across the state due to the whole budget mess and I'm not sure if you are but veterans will be going to the top of the lists and there are a lot out there right now. I know where I am there has been a hiring freeze for 3 years and have been told it will be there for atleast the next 2, and this is in a city with 200 PO's they do not even have that many on the street and are not going to replace the empty slots anytime soon.

So, good luck, and make sure you are staying in shape the acadamy will beat you up if you don't stay in shape.

When you get your scores check to see what number you are in each of your selected towns. If your much higher then 20 or so I would change your towns. I use to change them as often as they would let me till I found towns where I ranked higher. Also watch the Masscops web site for non civil service towns giving tests.

Back
Top Bottom