I shot EC's .500

At the shoot today I asked Jim if I could shoot the mighty 500 and he graciously agreed. He asked me which load I would like to try and like a fool I said in my manliest voice "the max" So he loads up something that looked more like a grenade than a pistol round and handed me the revolver. I closed the cylinder and assumed the "stance" aimed it in the general downrange direction. Thinking to myself "dont drop it, dont drop it I cocked the hammer back and pulled the trigger.

Now I have a model 629 and make my own hot loads but boys and girls let me tell you I have never felt a kick like that. I had the mark of EC imprinted on my right palm in bright red for about an hour.

A few hours later, I was back home loading ammo and my left forarm started to hurt me, it got pretty bad, I was thinking damn what did I do. Something is not right.... Well long story short, something finally clicked in there and now my arm feels sore but OK, kinda like cracking your back and feeling relief.

That is one mighty hand cannon Jim, thanks for the experience.

You're braver than I. I worry I don't have the arm strength necessary to withstand the recoil. I stood next to EC as he was firing it a the pumpkin shoot... that was exciting enough for me! [laugh]

I thinks Jim's 500 is the NES whore gun...every has had their hands on her.[wink]

Like most guys here Jim is always willing to share.

I love Ballistic Supply, I remember when I first found them after I got my 8 3/4 version...definitely made me sleep easier while on my hunting trip on Admiralty Isl., Alaska

If he hung some hot dogs near the cylinder gap we could have charred mini-dogs for a snack.[smile]

I like Jim's patented .500 S+W "Nuclear" load. Gigantic fireball and a heat
wave. They're not as stiff as the 700 grainers are but they certainly are
spectacular.

-Mike

Any 500 owners who loaded up some blanks to help celebrate the 4th?

It seems to me, that would be fun, and would beat the heck out of a few firecrackers.

Man, all I got was a couple of cuts on my face from, apparently, shrapnel.

It's bullet lube and powder residue.

I wondered about that, so once I draped an old t-shirt over it and fired off a 700gr round. After the T-shirt landed and I put it out, I found powder residue and bullet lube on it but no shrapnel.

It'd be pretty sweet just to see how much force there is in the concussion (is that the term?) from the energy of the gun at certain distances.

It'd be pretty sweet just to see how much force there is in the concussion (is that the term?) from the energy of the gun at certain distances.

Well, I can tell you that I was standing at the top of the steps while Jim was shooting and I did feel a slight pressure wave in my chest. Kinda like when you are at the fireworks and the big stuff goes off. That is why I went down to check it out.

I once owned a S&W 629 and using factory loads at my indoor range I fired 6 rounds.

I popped out the empties, put the gun back in the box and said to myself, "this was a mistake buying this". My hands hurt for the rest of the day. I sold that to a friend a week later.

I cannot imagine what a 500 is like to shoot but watch this vid for some idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjmtUFrFBc4&feature=related

Last edited:
I once owned a S&W 629 and using factory loads at my indoor range I fired 6 rounds.

I popped out the empties, put the gun back in the box and said to myself, "this was a mistake buying this". My hands hurt for the rest of the day. I sold that to a friend a week later.

I cannot imagine what a 500 is like to shoot.

It's not that bad, really. Recoil is very load dependent. You made a mistake with the 629 in terms of not loading your own or trying different
ammo. Not every load for .44 mag (or .500, for that matter) has to be abusive.

-Mike

It's not that bad, really. Recoil is very load dependent. You made a mistake with the 629 in terms of not loading your own or trying different
ammo. Not every load for .44 mag (or .500, for that matter) has to be abusive.

-Mike

I didn't have any reloading dies, brass etc. at that time. Back then I did reload my own .45's, .38's, .40's and 9mm.

Shooting that beast is a bit like a rite of passage here on NES. Eddie is always so kind to allow others to shoot it... not too many come back for 2nd's :)

Shooting that beast is a bit like a rite of passage here on NES. Eddie is always so kind to allow others to shoot it... not too many come back for 2nd's :)

RITE OF PASSAGE!

That says it all. Shooting a .50 BMG and then Jim's 700 grain mega-loads in his 8" 500 S&W makes me feel like I finally have made the grade. There was a time in life that I valued being a Shellback but that pales in importance to having fired his hand cannon.

I think we need an NES T-shirt that says something like; "I Survived Firing Eddie Coyle's 700 Grain Mega-Loads."

RITE OF PASSAGE!

That says it all. Shooting a .50 BMG and then Jim's 700 grain mega-loads in his 8" 500 S&W makes me feel like I finally have made the grade. There was a time in life that I valued being a Shellback but that pales in importance to having fired his hand cannon.

I think we need an NES T-shirt that says something like; "I Survived Firing Eddie Coyle's 700 Grain Mega-Loads."

here ya go!

Capture1aaaJPG.jpg

Back
Top Bottom