I shot EC's .500

muzzleFlash.jpg

You shot one indoors with just earplugs? Have your ears stopped ringing yet?

I once owned a S&W 629 and using factory loads at my indoor range I fired 6 rounds.

I popped out the empties, put the gun back in the box and said to myself, "this was a mistake buying this". My hands hurt for the rest of the day. I sold that to a friend a week later.

I cannot imagine what a 500 is like to shoot but watch this vid for some idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjmtUFrFBc4&feature=related

You should try my 629 Mountain Gun (4" skinny barrel) with Fiocchi's 240 grain JSPs. [smile]

A few years back S&W launched the 500 at the shot show in Jan. I was shooting the IDPA S&W winter nationals that year. After shooting was over for the day and they took a bunch of us over to shoot the new 500. It was big. BIG. They launched it with a 10" bbl. I believe it was compensated.

I shot the gun, it was great. Not too too bad. 5 lbs of steel tends to soak up recoil.

Then the next year (or 2) later they came out with the 4" gun. I got a chance to shoot it. The guy asked me what I wanted it loaded with. I said "well, I'm here to get kicked, so give me the 400 grain".

Well, I squeezed that trigger once, BLAM. (we were shooting in one of their old concrete bunker type ranges). Once I cleaned up the mess I made on the floor, I opened the cylinder (with 4 unused cartridges) , tipped the bbl up, emptied the cylinder and handed the gun back to the nice man. "Thanks, thats enough"

It was nothing like the 10". It recoiled MUCH more and the muzzle flip was substantial. The 10" seemed to recoil back into you. It was easier to shoot than a 329 (scandium 26oz 44mag) I tried once.

If I only had a use for one, I'd love to get one.

Back
Top Bottom