• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I think I'm done with Kenwood (lame rant follows)

I just purchased a new TM-D710G for the shack. I don't drive, so some of the mobile stuff is not important to me.

The three things I like about the radio (in no particular order) are:
1. Two separate tuners so I can listen on two different frequencies or scan on one side and chat on the other.
2. Echolink "ready". This just means that they have a special setting that allows you to store Echolink DTMF memory settings.
3. Built-in TNC for doing packet radio stuff.

So I set it up this weekend and run into a couple problems. Try to read the docs is just effing useless. Their website offers ZERO help or FAQs for anything like that. I ended up solving one of the problems myself after banging my head into a brick wall for a few hours and googling stuff.

The issue i am having that I cannot seem to figure out is with its Echolink support.

You have to buy a special cable (8-pin din to 3.5mm split cable (mic and headphone). This cable plugs into the "data" port on the radio. It also has outputs for external speakers, but no separate MIC input...so the cable is the best option, obviously. Anyway, I plug this thing into an admittedly ancient Dell desktop with built-in audio. This is already putting me at a disadvantage because integrated ANYTHING sucks. And audio is no different. You pick up a ton of noise from the computer and it just doesn't give you great audio quality. But, I digress. When I use the external speaker into the PC, the levels are great. Nice and loud and no distortion. However, when I put the radio into "Echolink" mode by giving the radio the Vulcan Nerve Pinch at power up, the audio level is pretty much cut in half...if not more. Scanning the menus, I don't see ANY level adjustment for the levels. Because of this, I have to bump up the mic gain and raise the recording level on the already shitty sound card. So, at the end of the day, the quality just sucks. I googled the shit out of this problem and just couldn't find anything helpful.

I hang my head in shame, admit defeat, and call Kenwood support. I get onto the call with the "support" guy and try and explain my issue, but as SOON as he hears "Echolink", he says, I'll send you this email and that's all we can do. never even bothered to try to get more info about the issue. I work in tech support and have for almost 20 years. I'd NEVER give this level of support to anyone.

Sadly, the radio is nice, but I can't deal with a company that just has shitty tech support for those times you have problems that you can't solve on your own.

I've ordered a USB Sound Blaster dongle and will hook that up to see if it helps on the audio quality, but I'm not holding my breath. Ultimately, I may have to scrap the PC as it is getting pretty long in the tooth just isn't meeting my needs anymore. <sigh>

For the record, I have called Icom's support and they were amazingly helpful and I didn't feel like they just wanted to get me off the phone. Haven't dealt with Yaesu, so I can't speak to their levels of support, but a fellow ham has and said they were great.

I give myself a * * / * * * * * on the rant. I really didn't get to swear at anyone or do a mag dump on a piece of gear...so...

Saw this, don't know if it is relevant (using the MCP software interface):

Q: Everything seems to be working OK, but the audio from the rig to the PC seems very low, even with the PC's Microphone level turned all the way up. How can I get more audio out of the rig?
A: On the TM-V71, the default output level on the PR1 pin is very low in EchoLink mode. Kenwood advises that it can be adjusted using the MCP-2A programming software, which is available free of charge from the Software Downloads page of the Support section of the Kenwood Web site. In the Data Terminal Adjustment section, increase the PR1 Output Level (EchoLink Mode) from 3 to a higher value such as 6 or 7. Note that this adjustment does not work correctly in version 3.01 of the MCP-2A software, but it should work in earlier and later versions.

Saw this, don't know if it is relevant (using the MCP software interface):

Q: Everything seems to be working OK, but the audio from the rig to the PC seems very low, even with the PC's Microphone level turned all the way up. How can I get more audio out of the rig?
A: On the TM-V71, the default output level on the PR1 pin is very low in EchoLink mode. Kenwood advises that it can be adjusted using the MCP-2A programming software, which is available free of charge from the Software Downloads page of the Support section of the Kenwood Web site. In the Data Terminal Adjustment section, increase the PR1 Output Level (EchoLink Mode) from 3 to a higher value such as 6 or 7. Note that this adjustment does not work correctly in version 3.01 of the MCP-2A software, but it should work in earlier and later versions.

Well, hell! I have the MCP-6a software for the D710g and just looked and damn if you didn't nail it. Rebooting radio now.

<time passes>

I hate you! [rofl2] That did the trick. Thanks, man! You should go to work for Kenwood!!!

So it's safe to own a Kenwood now? Curious minds want to know, especially with my general coming up.

Good luck with the General!

----------------

For any model radio there seems to be tons of BETTER info online than what the mfrs provide. My first line of defense is Google!

If you doubt this, take a look at the Baofeng book for the UV-5R . . . something a bit bigger than a matchbook and not nearly as useful.

So it's safe to own a Kenwood now? Curious minds want to know, especially with my general coming up.

Well, the radios are great; just don't count on the support side of the equation.

And good luck with the general test!

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck with the General!

----------------

For any model radio there seems to be tons of BETTER info online than what the mfrs provide. My first line of defense is Google!

If you doubt this, take a look at the Baofeng book for the UV-5R . . . something a bit bigger than a matchbook and not nearly as useful.

Agree 100% here.

I like Kenwood. I have five of them. I think they have good sound, offer free programming software, have intuitive menus and don't get replaced by a new model every month (so I feel that I get my ROI). What I don't like is that accessories can be pricey. I did not understand the manuals until I learned more about amateur radio. They pack a lot
Of features into these rigs.

I don't think EchoLink is a Kenwood product. (It's open source software.) You may have better luck getting info from some of the user forums. i experimented with EchoLink some time ago. I made my own interface cable rather than shell out the bucks. In my opinion, like many things ham radio, it's not exactly plug and play. But once it's working, it works well until you take up the next experiment.

Well, hell! I have the MCP-6a software for the D710g and just looked and damn if you didn't nail it. Rebooting radio now.

Cool beans! NES is Kenwood support!

Like you, I have spoken with Kenwood support in the past. They start friendly but become seemingly defensive if you mention any sort of problem. Same thing they did with you. Sent me an email as a resolution which, in the end, turned out to be inaccurate. Everything worked out "ok" in the long run.

But overall, their transceivers are pretty good if you can figure out how to use them. In particular, the secondary features. Sensitive RX and clean output. Orders of magnitude better than the cheaper imports. An order of magnitude more expensive, on the other hand.

Last edited:
I like Kenwood. I have five of them. I think they have good sound, offer free programming software, have intuitive menus and don't get replaced by a new model every month (so I feel that I get my ROI). What I don't like is that accessories can be pricey. I did not understand the manuals until I learned more about amateur radio. They pack a lot
Of features into these rigs.

I don't think EchoLink is a Kenwood product. (It's open source software.) You may have better luck getting info from some of the user forums. i experimented with EchoLink some time ago. I made my own interface cable rather than shell out the bucks. In my opinion, like many things ham radio, it's not exactly plug and play. But once it's working, it works well until you take up the next experiment.

I think you missed my point. I was asking about audio levels coming out of the radio. And as it turns out, there IS an adjustment that would have resolved my issue had the support rep bothered to listen instead of punting as soon as I used the word Echolink. In the end, it WASN'T an Echolink issue.

Back
Top Bottom