I was today years old when...

A new thread to post something vaguely embarrassing you only recently learned about a firearm or firearms in general you should have known (or think you should have) that was really helpful to you when you learned it.

I'll start.

I was today years old when I learned that the trigger stop screw/over travel adjustment on a 1911 can completely change the game if you adjust it properly and it probably didn't come that way from the factory.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIpU89zHYpI

Last edited:
My early-thirties curmudgeon thought of the day:

f***ing dumbest overused phrase has to be “today years old”

I don’t have a definitive reason for why it irks me, but f*** off with that shit. You sound dumb.

english is your second language?
No that’s just how Gen Z and some of the younger millennials speak now.

Wow…. So much hate for an idiom!

How do y’all feel about “TIL” as an alternative?

I'd hope, with a moment's thought,t it will be obvious why I chose that obviously 'how the kids annoyingly talk' phrase for a thread with this purpose with an audience of mostly middle aged men.

Today I learned a cleaning jag does a much better job clearing fouling than patch holder.

image.png

Last edited:

I don’t have a definitive reason for why it irks me, but f*** off with that shit. You sound dumb.

OK Boomer

I don't get the trend. . . in terms of shouting it loud and proud. Not specifically this, but in general.

HEre's the deal: My dad taught me zip. ZIP! He just chucked me into hte deep end of the swimming pool in life. To quote Staind - I cannot blame this on my father - he did the best he could for me. A truly broken man. I never had a good relationship with my grandfather, but looking at my dad, he was a son of a bitch.

Anyhow - I spent my entire adult life thinking I'm a moron and had to learn practically EVERYHTING myself. But you know what? I love learning. So it doesn't bother me in the least anymore. Maybe the last 5-10 years, it's been a hoot. To admit I'm clueless about X and just asking for help. It's so freeing.

So congrats, OP. You found something else. You learned. You grew your brain. Don't stop. Ever. Expecting to turn 25 or 30 or 35 or 54 and know everything??? It's not reality.

I don't get the trend. . . in terms of shouting it loud and proud. Not specifically this, but in general.

HEre's the deal: My dad taught me zip. ZIP! He just chucked me into hte deep end of the swimming pool in life. To quote Staind - I cannot blame this on my father - he did the best he could for me. A truly broken man. I never had a good relationship with my grandfather, but looking at my dad, he was a son of a bitch.

Anyhow - I spent my entire adult life thinking I'm a moron and had to learn practically EVERYHTING myself. But you know what? I love learning. So it doesn't bother me in the least anymore. Maybe the last 5-10 years, it's been a hoot. To admit I'm clueless about X and just asking for help. It's so freeing.

So congrats, OP. You found something else. You learned. You grew your brain. Don't stop. Ever. Expecting to turn 25 or 30 or 35 or 54 and know everything??? It's not reality.
Yep! Absolutely! But 'loud and proud' was exactly the opposite of my intent. It was "Uggh, I should have known this. How long did I miss out because I didn't know this "obvious in retrospect" thing?

"Maybe somebody else will get a step ahead because I had no shame admitting it." and my hunch that this is true for lots of folks and they might be inclined to share a random tip or two for others with a bit of self deprecation.

I was today years old when I learned that if you're stuck on on an indoor range and want to work your skills beyond what's obviously possible while trapped in the confines of a single lane, this is a great cheat sheet target for doing some more structured drills.

And, if your range doesn't allow holster draw, you can work from low ready and, if you don't have a friend to run a timer, the 'Par Time' feature is still a useful way to track your speed improvement over time.

image.jpeg

I have always (giggle - like I've been at the range 10x in the last 10 years - life has gotten in the way) found the one-hole drill to be excellent. Fire one shot. Get the remainder of hte mag as close to that shot as possible. Which is a bit of a trick b/c if you AIM for the hole, you're gonna actually miss it due to the sights being above the gun. It's an amazing exercise for good trigger control.

But that's a cool target. Hmmmm.

I have always (giggle - like I've been at the range 10x in the last 10 years - life has gotten in the way) found the one-hole drill to be excellent. Fire one shot. Get the remainder of hte mag as close to that shot as possible. Which is a bit of a trick b/c if you AIM for the hole, you're gonna actually miss it due to the sights being above the gun. It's an amazing exercise for good trigger control.

But that's a cool target. Hmmmm.
My favorite source for paper targets. They make them in both hi-viz orange and green (for use with red dots).

Today years old??
WTF is that kinda talk? My neighbors kid is 9 and talks better than that.
Yeah bro!

My son just turned 9, and when he is with his friends it’s just ‘bro, bro, bro!!, bruh, broseph!!’ Ad naiseum. Bro.

In their defense, they don’t swear, so I’m happy about that.

Right up there with "school me".

Yeah bro!

My son just turned 9, and when he is with his friends it’s just ‘bro, bro, bro!!, bruh, broseph!!’ Ad naiseum. Bro.

In their defense, they don’t swear, so I’m happy about that.
BROFORCE!
Brotato Chip, Guacbromole, Brotein Shake, Teddy Brosevelt, Avbrocado, Brozone Layer, Bromo Sapien, Brodeo Clown, Brofessor, Edgar Allen Bro, Vincent Van Bro...

You have the makings of a solid rant here. Keep going!

Yup, what’s wrong with “Today I learned…”?

Yup, what’s wrong with “Today I learned…”?

Nothing, it’s unambiguous and easy to understand.

But it’s not as funny.

“Today years old” is a puckish homage to “I was ## years old” without having to reveal your age. (Which some people care about).

Modern American English is packed with idiom and constructions that “make no sense”, but everyone know what they mean because we were raised on them.

But... you know… change is scary.

I was today years old when I learned I could piss you off by saying I was today years old.

I went to load a someone else’s new shotgun the other week.. you know you take the shells and your stuff them underneath or usually you turn the thing over so you can look at it.

The shotgun had some kind of latch or safety.. you had to depress the rim of the shotgun shell onto it before it would allow you to load the goddamn gun

People are looking at me like it was my first time, and I was retarded. Whoever designed that feature is retarded.
I can’t see the purpose for it

Back
Top Bottom