Ideas for a carbine in 9mm or .45

34ywvi0.png

Thanks for the input. I have a black gun as well as everything from wheel guns to front stuffers. I'm not a collector and as it stands I only shoot a few of my firearms on a regular basis anyway. I just thought a little carbine might be fun. Good house gun for the wife and I load for 9mm and .45 already. I don't want to convert the AR as it has its role and I don't want to build a or buy a new one.
I already have a 92fs and magazines and there seem to be some decent reviews here so I might look at a storm. Pretty funky looking but so do most pistol caliber carbines I've seen. I'll have to see if anyone at the club has one I can try.
Thanks!

I have the .45 version, but I'm starting to think I should have gone with the 9mm as well. But I love mine. Very much. A 15 round magazine for the .45 would just be perfect, if A) they made them and B) I didn't live in Mass. I can only imagine how well the 9mm shoots. But a pistol calibre rifle for home defense just "SEEMS" right. I'd pick that over a shotgun, I'm pretty sure. And so would my GF. I can't imagine her holding down the fort with my Remington 870.

I've been checking out Marlin Camp's in 9mm on GB. Have you shot it yet? How do you like it??

No, I need to stop procrastinating and order a buffer first. They are notorious for deteriorating over time. If I were to fire it with a bad buffer the end result will be the stock cracking.

For Coyote?

You're the first to mention it, but it would work. Would be tough on pelts though.

pretty cool. i'd take one of those in 9mm if 1. they were available, and 2. not near $1,000 like the .44 ones are on gunbroker.

I wish they would start making them again. Even better would be a .357 version in addition.

I'll throw this one out there. I have no experience with it and make no assurances ... Just an option...

That's pretty cool looking. Any idea on reviews, prices, or availability? I think I saw it is new, so these are important to find out.

You're the first to mention it, but it would work. Would be tough on pelts though.

I wish they would start making them again. Even better would be a .357 version in addition.

That's pretty cool looking. Any idea on reviews, prices, or availability? I think I saw it is new, so these are important to find out.

Shotgun news did a review nothing bad to saw about it . Only knock was one of two they tested a sight became lose .

I like a uzi. Change out from 9mm to .45 and .22 in minutes and with a red dot on top it will shoot a smiley face at 50yds no prob.

Any good source for 45 mags?
I know they use the same magwell and always wanted to know if the 45 mag fits in a ar mag block .
Researching .45 acp ar builds the thing you read a lot is people never bother with the 45 uzi mags since there "rare"...

On the same idea as the uzi there's also the mac 10 based carbines. If you buy one in 45 you can get a magwell sleeve for 9mm mags. I'm debating making my ak 45acp quick change barrel so I can also shoot 9mm since I'm using a mac magwell.

I lost one of the Ruger .44 Carbines to a fire years ago. I whacked a Maine deer with it decades ago. I gave the badly burnt gun to a pal who made a new stock for it and still shoots it. Great little guns but I want more capacity. I have an offer to try about a forum member's Storm and I will after the holidays.
I'm going to put together a few more bucks so I can broaden my options a bit. So many choices..

High point carbine with an Eotech on it or an Acog If shes giving you a budget of a grand you might as well just get a $300 carbine that will do the job and an awesome sight that you can switch to your ar or other long guns... Sneaky but still within budget....

Tavor.

(Won't happen for under 1k though )

Second, but distant choice would be the Beretta CX. Ishot many rounds through mine, but much more toyish compared to the tavor

Last edited:
Tavor.

(Won't happen for under 1k though )

Second, but distant choice would be the Beretta CX. Ishot many rounds through mine, but much more toyish compared to the tavor

I just thought I'd add that IWI is now selling a 9 mm Tavor.

Prior to its release, you had to buy the .223 version and then buy a $900 9mm conversion kit.

Don

if i were going to bulid a 9mm AR, i would do everything possible to use the lone wolf upper and lower to allow glock mags to be used. IMO the uzi mags overall suck, especially with our limitations in MA.

but then again i have no use for a 9mm AR and there are better commercially available non-AR options for 9mm carbines.

Squib.

I'm genuinely torn . I already know how to run an AR. But the cost and finicky nature are holding me back. I'm hoping to try out a MPx at SHOT. I'll report back once I shoot it. The MPX should not be difficult to make MA legal.

if i were going to bulid a 9mm AR, i would do everything possible to use the lone wolf upper and lower to allow glock mags to be used. IMO the uzi mags overall suck, especially with our limitations in MA.

but then again i have no use for a 9mm AR and there are better commercially available non-AR options for 9mm carbines.

I put mine together without the Lone Wolf upper. Waiting for my trust and stamp and then really give it a workout. Needs a little tweaking though I think it is mostly mag issues and a weak extractor.

Squib.

I'm genuinely torn . I already know how to run an AR. But the cost and finicky nature are holding me back. I'm hoping to try out a MPx at SHOT. I'll report back once I shoot it. The MPX should not be difficult to make MA legal.

I want to see the barrel extension . I've been reading a lot about locked bolt pistol cals . One of the things that cause problems they have is with lighter loads with 9mm at least the bolt moves to slow the case starts to pivot as soon as it pulls out of the chamber and smacks into the locking lugs.

ac7f60a821e2df823b7c924a9778eee1.jpg

Few people figured out if you remove one lug in the bolt and add some thing for the brass to ride on it helps this problem.

I put mine together without the Lone Wolf upper. Waiting for my trust and stamp and then really give it a workout. Needs a little tweaking though I think it is mostly mag issues and a weak extractor.

Thats interesting. In my mind the whole point of the LW lower is that the use of Glock mags largely elimintes the hit or miss nature of finding functional mags.

Squib.

i would trade 2-3 toes for an MPX....well maybe not a big toe those are useful.

Back
Top Bottom