I'm a wuss fishing shack

I have used them in the past. I will probably be buying a 4 person portable next fall.

Why do you have to be a wuss to use one?

According to my father. He refers to them as "the powder room".

I take it he's never fished in extreme weather. The good thing about a house is you can fish no matter who crappy it is outside.

It was -10 on this day, Leech Lake, MN a few years ago. Dave was able to Drive his F350 with trailer on to the ice. You couldn't leave a beer can outside for more than a few minutes. [wink]

mnicefish.jpg

Clam

A group of us bought a Clam 6800 a few years ago for the cold, windy days, especially for derbies. It is great for getting out of the wind or warming up on cold days.

Unfortunately, we do not use it as much as we originally assumed since it is cumbersome to drag out to the ice. It would help if we had an atv or built a sled for it. It was advertised to slide well when dragging it out, but I would tend to disagree.

If we were to do it over again, we would get a smaller shelter that would be easier to drag out, especially since we do not hang out inside the shelter as much as we thought we would.

Ice Fishing Shed

I have been thinking about building a little Ice Fishing shed and have done a lot of looking for the "Perfect Design" Its not available so here is an idea.

It must Float upright for Safety.

1) 4 feet wide to slide between the whheelwells of the pickup truck.

2) 6 feet long so you can close the tailgate if you have a shortbed truck or a Tool box in your 8 ft bed.

3) 6 feet high so as to maximize the plywood design

4) Light wieght: 1/2 ply floor and bottom based on 2X2 PT floor joists with styrofoam sandwitch construction.

5) steel or Plastic Ice Runners

6) trailer hitch to hook it to an ATV or Skimobile

7)Sides and roof are made with 1/4 Luan with Styrofam

8) inside is finished with 1/2 Luan

9) Roof is Radius from the 4 ft sides to the 6 ft peak. Like a Gypsy Wagon

19) 1/2 of roof is hindge to open back as this Ice house can double as a duck blind

20) it has hatches over holes in the floor for Smelt Jigging

21) It has opening lexan windows on all 4 sides so that one could also use this shed for a Deer/Bear Hunting Blind

22) It has Gun Racks

23) Lift points on both ends so that one my winch it up onto the

24) 4X 4 Post Sockets on all 4 courners to elevat the Shack 8 feet into the air to use as a hunting platform.

25) Custom Camoflage paint coated with waterproof Marine Satin Spar Varnish for protection

26) an outboard motor mount for getting it out to the Duck Marsh. Maybe some two points and tie down points.

27) Attachment poits inside for the Hammock and lantern and a shelf for the coleman stove.

28) Air vents for when the fishing is hot!

Any Other Ideas?

Sorta Kinda like this but different

IceManHut.jpg

Last edited:
Even with conditions like pictured below. If you are plan on fishing for a few hours it's nice to be able to warm up.

My old man showing my son Orion how it's done. [grin]
ice_fish.JPG

D, that's AWESOME! Some of my best memories as a kid are fishing with my grandfather. What I'd give to go back to that time!

It's the whole event that is fun. Finding a spot, drilling the holes, getting the right depth, and dropping lines. For the most part it's pretty social. When I go with friends we will drink beers and shoot the shit. When I take the boys as long as there is action it's a complete blast.

It's the whole event that is fun. Finding a spot, drilling the holes, getting the right depth, and dropping lines. For the most part it's pretty social. When I go with friends we will drink beers and shoot the shit. When I take the boys as long as there is action it's a complete blast.

+1

I don't find it to be a solo sport. I can go hunting, fly fishing, or most other things on my own. I only ice fish by myself if I really want to go and can't find a partner.

Back
Top Bottom