Im seriously frustrated with being a wuss with a rifle...

Muzzlebrake? JP enterprise has one that eliminates recoil on an AR almost completely. Looks weird, functions as intended.
That, or use the time your hubby spends shooting your AK with making him a sammich.
Guess it's time to run for cover now. I was kidding, I was kidding!

I had the second picture stance, but i wrap my left hand around mag instead of the foregrip

- - - Updated - - -

I have a manticore arms nightbrake.

Don't use the mag as a grip. Use the hand guard. Could be you're letting the rifle beat you up by not having enough control towards the muzzle.

This is how I hold mine.

Think it was Cindy that took that pic at Holbrook btw. :D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373173754594.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373173754594.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 123
Marks and briusing can happen. My friend weighs well over 200 hundred and his shoulder pocket is red after shooting. He will also bruise easily with the bigger call.
1. Are you experience any pain? Or just don't like the markings.
2. There are replacement pads for the ar(A2 styles) that are more forgiving than the metal or plastic ones. Remember AR butt plate wasn't designed for comfort and to be used with the some what heavy cotton shirt at min.
3. You could also sew the pacts pad to a shirt you like wearing shooting.
4. Best opptions is to wear a shooting jacket. Also gives you padded elbows for shooting prone. I shoot assorted 30 Cal. Bolt guns in cmp. I can shoot in my t shirt but after 60 rounds I'm a bit punch drunk. When I use at least my light coat this doesn't happen as much....the "heavy coat" helps even more. Also correct use of a sling will really help you lock into posistion also.
5. Also are you shooting off the bench if so get off the bench. And go prone sitting or kneeling, standing also. Off the bench all the recoil just goes to the shoulder.
6. A for being a wuss? If you saw the 6 young boys and girls at Hanson cmp shoot yesterday blasting away on the garands with nothing but regular cloths....you might think your a wuss .......Don't Use A Rubber slip on pad!! They slip around and move..
7. I don't think a muzzle break will reduce recoil. Muzzle flip maybe.

Here is a pad a friend got for his wife. She is 6' tall with a long neck and arms. She has the one inch pad which was enough to get her in a comfortable posistion over the gun. AR-15/M16 RUBBER RECOIL PAD | Brownells
As for lop with a AR you know its right when you place the buttpad in your shoulder pocket and just drop your head down and your nose is ontology of the charging handle(for standard ar peep sights) you want your eye right behind the rear peep nice and close. If your worried about getting hit you should not if holding the gun correctly.

Lastly if the sounds of the rifle are bothering you you need to just let that go focus on that front sight and shoot! Good luck don't give up!

The recoil energy is about 7ftlbs for the Ak and ar. The affect of that energy is depends on stock design stance ect ect.
I have a 20 gauge shotgun that has such a drastic pitch on the recoil pad it will jump up and slam your cheek no matter what you do. Feels like your shooting a 10 gauge...

Last edited:
I am by no means an expert on rifles or proper technique, but aren't there alternative stocks that also add mass, and might that help reduce the felt recoil?

Look - just get the shoulder pad, and be done with it:

Amazon.com: Past Field Shield: Sports & Outdoors

I use one whenever I'm shooting large caliber rifles like Mosin Nagants. A range session of 100 rounds of 7.62x54r can definitely be brutal without it - especially in summer t-shirt weather. In a lifetime of shooting, I've never had a snide comment about wearing one - and I'm a 53-year-old, 250-pound guy. Who's stupid enough to criticize someone carrying a rifle anyway?

The best part? It's relatively cheap, you can use it with any rifle (not firearm-specific like many of the stock pads previously mentioned), and it covers a significant portion of the shoulder - complete coverage no matter where you place the stock.

Don't allow discomfort to get in the way of your enjoyment! Subconsciously, you're going to start finding reasons not to go to the range, and that's a bad thing! So what if someone thinks "less" of you when wearing a recoil pad - screw 'em.

Protect that shoulder and fire away! Enjoy!

Last edited:
You could try a shooting jacket. You should also check out a Beretta 9mm pistol carbine. Easy to handle and no recoil.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I guess one thing I would add is to make sure you shoulder the rifle properly. Rally tuck it into your shoulder. Don't shoulder it loosey goosey. That will cause the rifle to slam back into your shoulder.

Any recoil problems I have ever experienced were solved by this.

I have the same problem with rifles or carrying stuff on my shoulder .
I don't have very little meat on my shoulder, I basically accepted it and it don't bother me .
That said I under as a girl you wouldn't want the bruises etc. I found if I pull really tight it stops most of it , and when I do get marks its not as much the straight back recoil but the butt pad shifting . Like its all most pinching my skin. T shirts I see this , sweat shirts I don't . Also shotguns/rifles with recoil pads that have a texture on them do the same to me.

I think you be better off with a foam pad vs a rubber recoil pad. It will absorb more of the recoil.
Also if you rifle doesn't have a length of pull you like you could always have some one bale you a spacer and pad that will work .

Or going shooting with mini ninja . I've seen her shoot stuff that you'd think would knock her over lol.

My guess is the length of recoil/stock isn't enough and it is backing into you. I shot a Mosin and an FAL with no issues, but the Mosin had a recoil pad on it. You have to snug it into your shoulder and grip it firm for best results. I got banged around with a Saiga but that was mostly my fault for not shouldering it properly. I don't have big shoulders, either, but I have shot the FAL and .223 AR with no issues. Just remember that if the stock is too short, it may bang into your shoulder. Think about adjusting your grip/stance, that might help, too.

Get yourself to an Appleseed. Ask if they can have an instructor work with you for rifle fit and technique. (or ask an AS instructor here).

Recoil pad idea is good but you want a smooth one without texture, also not mentioned; use of a sling.

A properly used sling will help control recoil and improve your accuracy.

adding weight helps reduce recoil, but may not help with the enjoyment of shooting. my AR I use in cmp matches weighs in at just under 13 lbs vs the 8 lbs of a standard A2.

View attachment 72149Heres a photo from today. Shot 90 rounds and had to move the rifle around on the shoulder because i was getting soft spots all recovered by the time i got home

Excuse the bad photo

- - - Updated - - -

Lol!!!

consider it a badge of honor[smile],
seriously though,a buttstock pad or padded vest as the folks said before is a help.
keep shooting, the more women the better in the game.

QB, having torn my rotator cuff years ago, I bought the PAST pad but only used it a couple times . . . it works but a pain to "install".

I bought the Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad and it works great on numerous guns (e.g. MN 44, 91/30, etc.). I highly recommend trying this.

LIMBSAVER® SLIP-ON RECOIL PAD | Brownells

I don't know where you are located but I have one in Medium size and you are welcome to try it out at either BR&P or Mansfield F&G.

QB, is it possible that noise is causing you to flinch, and move the buttstock out of correct position? IMHO, AR and AK platforms are very loud, and I use both foam plugs and earmuffs when shooting. Just a thought.

QB, is it possible that noise is causing you to flinch, and move the buttstock out of correct position? IMHO, AR and AK platforms are very loud, and I use both foam plugs and earmuffs when shooting. Just a thought.
Doubling up on ear protection is something I always forget to add. I use plugs and muffed when shooting trap marathon's(500rnd+) it greatly reduces the effect of getting punch drunk feeling from the noise and recoil.

QB Looking at your after shooting pics of your shoulder it looks like you have a wide area that's got some redness(if you see my buddy after shooting 20 rounds shoulder you would think nothing of your marks) leads me to think your mount is not consistant or there is s lot of slipping going on between your shirt and skin. The shirt your wearing is it 100% cotton?
I find nylon blends slip and slide more than my 100% cotton t shirts.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have 2 issues.
1. Sensitive skin (shoot with a BP vest on and see if the problem goes away and then try smaller pads until you find the minimum that will work for you. but I would start big and work lesser rather than the other way around. This way you immediately stop taking a beating.)

2. You have a condition that you believe is recoil related. I would ask a few questions about the type of hearing protection you are wearing. If you are wearing over ear protection you may have a gap in the protection due to your cheek weld or your glasses. I have noticed many people that attribute noise to perceived recoil. Also, If you are envisioning a bruised shoulder every time you squeeze one off you might be mentally working up the recoil.

Back
Top Bottom