Info on gun show in Manchester, NH.

Being very new to shooting and looking for a couple handguns to purchase, I've been looking for gun shows here in NH. Just found one that is on January 12th and 13th in Manchester.

Can anyone tell me a little about these shows... are there many vendors there? Any good deals (usually) on guns? Do they have new and used guns? Do they sell ammo, and if so any "deals"? Does the same process take place to purchase a gun as it does in a gun shop? (computer check?).

Thanks in advance.

It's a decent show. Yes there are a lot of vendors. Sometimes good deals on guns. Get there early, but fast. A few ammo dealers with decent prices.

Yes, the same back ground check/laws apply as if they weren't at a gun show. There is no "gun show loophole" that lets you illegally buy guns.

Being very new to shooting and looking for a couple handguns to purchase, I've been looking for gun shows here in NH. Just found one that is on January 12th and 13th in Manchester.

Can anyone tell me a little about these shows... are there many vendors there? Any good deals (usually) on guns? Do they have new and used guns? Do they sell ammo, and if so any "deals"? Does the same process take place to purchase a gun as it does in a gun shop? (computer check?).

Thanks in advance.

It's a decent show. Yes there are a lot of vendors. Sometimes good deals on guns. Get there early, but fast. A few ammo dealers with decent prices.

Yes, the same back ground check/laws apply as if they weren't at a gun show. There is no "gun show loophole" that lets you illegally buy guns.
Thanks for the info. I only asked the question about the computer check because I didn't know if they did it that way or if you had to fill out paperwork, and it was submitted via snail mail and then pick up the gun at the dealers shop at a later date. I also thought that maybe you might have to do the paperwork for a gun at the show, then travel to the person's shop and finish the transaction there.

I will get there first thing in the AM with my "list".

Thanks for the info. I only asked the question about the computer check because I didn't know if they did it that way or if you had to fill out paperwork, and it was submitted via snail mail and then pick up the gun at the dealers shop at a later date. I also thought that maybe you might have to do the paperwork for a gun at the show, then travel to the person's shop and finish the transaction there.

I will get there first thing in the AM with my "list".

I'm not sure what you meant by computer check. If you are talking about the NCIS then it is done over the phone. They call in and get an answer quickly for a rifle or you wait 20-30 minutes for a handgun.

I'm not sure what you meant by computer check. If you are talking about the NCIS then it is done over the phone. They call in and get an answer quickly for a rifle or you wait 20-30 minutes for a handgun.

That's what I meant.. sorry. When I purchased my first gun last June, I filled out some paperwork, and they took it out back to do the check. I guess I just assumed they did it on a pc.

That's what I meant.. sorry. When I purchased my first gun last June, I filled out some paperwork, and they took it out back to do the check. I guess I just assumed they did it on a pc.

A Form 4473. They call it in over the phone and you hope you pass the exam [smile]

The form was changed about a month or so ago, but not everyone is using the new form yet.

For the most part, any good deals are bought up by the dealers during set-up or pre-show walk arounds. There could be some but they're few and far between. It's a decent show that I just might hit depending on the weather. Might even work it a bit if brother has tables just to give him a break.

+1 Decent show.

But like any show, realize they are displaying what has been passed over three times:

1. If it was something REALLY good, the FFL owner scooped it up for himself.

2. If it was something PRETTY good (and he already had one), the FFL owner called around and offered it to his friends.

3. If it was just PLAIN good (or if none of his friends wanted it), the FFL owner offered it to his employees.

Whatever is left goes on display for the gun show.

It' an ok show, but that's all relavant to what you have already seen, certainly not the biggest, but something is better than nothing.

I'm interested in seeing how the turnout is, I haven't been to one since the election and even then it was fairly busy as if it were ramping up.

I've seen it when it's been dead, I doubt that will be the case now.

To avoid getting hornswaggled know what you are buying, there is a mark up (even before the election) different sellers charge diff. rates.

Be sure to walk the entire show to see if you can get a better deal at another table. (Keep in mind you might lose the advantage because of the political climate) so take your chances accordingly.

The most important thing I can tell you is KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BUYING.

That said, it's everyman for himself!

........The most important thing I can tell you is KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BUYING.

That I do know... as of right now anyway [rofl]

Looking for either a Walther PPKS, or a Bersa Thunder 380... I think. Actually looking for something to carry. I've had lots of suggestions by friends and others, and I think I'm leaning towards a 380 to start anyway. I'm probably going to pick on up, and if I'm not enamored by it I'll look for something else.

Thanks for all the replies.

That I do know... as of right now anyway [rofl]

Looking for either a Walther PPKS, or a Bersa Thunder 380... I think. Actually looking for something to carry. I've had lots of suggestions by friends and others, and I think I'm leaning towards a 380 to start anyway. I'm probably going to pick on up, and if I'm not enamored by it I'll look for something else.

Thanks for all the replies.

I was just refering to the actual cost. sometimes there can be a markup in cost varying 10 to 20%, or you actually find a deal and clean up.

Happy Hunting

Does anyone have an address or more info on the show?

Here you go. If you go, let me know.

Gun Shows in NH
MANCHESTER
Radisson Hotel, Center of NH
700 Elm St
I-293 North:Exit 5, South:Exit 6

January 10 - 11, 2009

October 17 - 18, 2009
January 09 - 10, 2010
October 16 - 17, 2010
Saturday 9 to 5
Sunday 9 to 2

ADMISSION $7.00
CHILDREN UNDER 12 FREE WITH ADULT
BUY SELL TRADE

So when people talk about the "gun show loophole", what exactly are they talking about?

It is a politicians way of saying they don't like the fact that they make it illegal for someone in a face to face sale to do a background check on the other person.

It is a politicians way of saying they don't like the fact that they make it illegal for someone in a face to face sale to do a background check on the other person.
Ah.... light dawns on Marblehead. I was wondering why Greg was talking about failure to feed. :)

The face to face is only good for one ma**h*** to another anyway, right? I thought that if someone from a free state wanted to sell me a handgun, I still have to go through an ffl.

Ah.... light dawns on Marblehead. I was wondering why Greg was talking about failure to feed. :)

The face to face is only good for one ma**h*** to another anyway, right? I thought that if someone from a free state wanted to sell me a handgun, I still have to go through an ffl.

Yes a face-to-face is only valid for people of the same state. Of course this all falls apart when someone selling doesn't know or care about the law and sells to anyone.

Technically in NH I either need to know the person or see a copy of their pistol revolver license to sell them a firearm.

Are there even shows that offer tables to non-dealers?! I've never seen one, but I suppose that doesn't mean they don't exist.

With this show in mind I 'got to' take a ride to Logan this weekend and passed the giant anti-gun banner on the backside of Lansdowne on the Pike. It was touting the horrors of gun shows including the lack of background checks and how anyone who goes to a show is an automatic puppy killer and baby puncher. Or something like that.

Yes a face-to-face is only valid for people of the same state. Of course this all falls apart when someone selling doesn't know or care about the law and sells to anyone.

Technically in NH I either need to know the person or see a copy of their pistol revolver license to sell them a firearm.

Does this mean I need someone from NH to make my purchase? I have a valid CA drivers license.

Does this mean I need someone from NH to make my purchase? I have a valid CA drivers license.

On the off chance that this is not a joke and you are serious....

No, that would be a "Straw" purchase, and is illegal.

If you see a handgun you like, and you are not legally banned from owning it in your home state, you can arrange to have it transfered from NH to an FFL in CA. You would then be able to get if from that in-state FFL. Read up on the laws before you attempt to make any firearms purchases.

On the off chance that this is not a joke and you are serious....

No, that would be a "Straw" purchase, and is illegal.

If you see a handgun you like, and you are not legally banned from owning it in your home state, you can arrange to have it transfered from NH to an FFL in CA. You would then be able to get if from that in-state FFL. Read up on the laws before you attempt to make any firearms purchases.

Maybe I worded it wrong. Allow me to rephrase 'what is the process for me, a resident of CA living in MA, to make a purchase at the gun show this weekend in NH?'

Better?

Yes, I am legal in the United States to purchase and own firearms. I have a license in CA. I own many. I was thinking about heading up to NH to buy an AR lower as I am thinking about building one for my collection. I didn't think I would have to have it transfered to a dealer back home. If that's the case, I'm better off just buying it there - save the fees for ammo [wink]

If you are licensed, you can buy a long gun (rifle or shotgun) from an FFL in NH at the show. A handgun would have to be purchased from an FFL from your state of residence. Of course, things change if you have a C&R license and are looking at a C&R qualified firearm.

One thing to be aware of - if you do buy a long gun and bring it into Massachusetts, you are still subject to AWB rules even though you are a resident of CA.

Check out the specific laws for NH here:
http://www.gonh.org/new_hampshire_information

and for Massachusetts, here:
http://www.goal.org/Licensing.htm

Don't get me wrong - I support and encourage your right to buy firearms! Just don't want to see you get caught short by the details.

Yes, I am legal in the United States to purchase and own firearms.

Man, I would love to have that license! Since you live in MA, even though you are a California resident, I would be very very careful if you go up there and try to get something, even a long gun (or lower, like you said) or ammo. You might be doing yourself a favor by applying for a non-resident LTC here in MA, because as far as I know, no matter what state you are from, any license from there not valid in MA as far as firearms are concerned. I could be wrong about this, and if I am I hope someone points it out. I could see licenses from CA and possibly some from NY being allowed, since I think you/they have to jump through similar hoops to get permits the way we do here in MA.

Hope it works out, but seriously, be very weary of bringing anything into MA without an MA license-at the very least you could wind up being given a hard time by a cop and it could be much worse than that

If you are licensed, you can buy a long gun (rifle or shotgun) from an FFL in NH at the show. A handgun would have to be purchased from an FFL from your state of residence. Of course, things change if you have a C&R license and are looking at a C&R qualified firearm.

One thing to be aware of - if you do buy a long gun and bring it into Massachusetts, you are still subject to AWB rules even though you are a resident of CA.

Check out the specific laws for NH here:
http://www.gonh.org/new_hampshire_information

and for Massachusetts, here:
http://www.goal.org/Licensing.htm

Don't get me wrong - I support and encourage your right to buy firearms! Just don't want to see you get caught short by the details.

Thanks for the info! I am really just looking to pick up an AR lower, just to have... I'm a Dem and I can see these the first to go. CA has a ban of sorts - bolted mag is top off my head.

As for bringing it back into MA, I'm aware of the potential. I grew up in Cambridge and know all about the badge around here [rolleyes]

Yes, I am legal in the United States to purchase and own firearms.

Man, I would love to have that license! Since you live in MA, even though you are a California resident, I would be very very careful if you go up there and try to get something, even a long gun (or lower, like you said) or ammo. You might be doing yourself a favor by applying for a non-resident LTC here in MA, because as far as I know, no matter what state you are from, any license from there not valid in MA as far as firearms are concerned. I could be wrong about this, and if I am I hope someone points it out. I could see licenses from CA and possibly some from NY being allowed, since I think you/they have to jump through similar hoops to get permits the way we do here in MA.

Hope it works out, but seriously, be very weary of bringing anything into MA without an MA license-at the very least you could wind up being given a hard time by a cop and it could be much worse than that

You are not wrong. When I moved back here about a year and a half ago, I looked into it. Arlington, where I lived through High School, is a green town. First I was going to apply as a resident, but didn't want to change over my license as its less hassle (mostly insurance hassle, but some DMV cons). So then I was going to do non-resident, but it seemed very difficult and pretty expensive. I have relationships with many of the officers in Arlington (from my youth [wink]), tried reaching them at the station, etc and finally gave up.

Anyway, I am going to cruise up tomorrow. Ability to purchase or not, I am very curious about a NH gun show. I want to see what they're all about...

Anyone else going tomorrow morning?

If you purchase from a dealer, they will make you fill out the forms. Once they whip them out and you explain where you live and the state you are from, they should know if you qualify for whatever you decide to purchase. They won't risk losing their FFL if you are non qualified to own a particular firearm in your state.

All bets are off if you meet someone who knows someone....

I'll be there, I have a funny feeling the place will be mobbed.[rolleyes]

I'm curious to see what the "new markup will be" for firearms and ammo.

Sometimes you can find deals and haggle, but I don't go the gunshow for guns.

229Equinox- for all intents and purposes you cannot buy anything at the nh show.
If you do "Live in mass" and try to bring in a longarm or handgun you will be in violation of mass law and subject to arrest. (as you do not have an FID or LTC mass does NOT recognize any other states gun permits)

You could have something transferred to a ca ffl. as for buying a long gun and hopping on a plane in NH and flying to ca, that MAY be legal, but I seem the remember something about the fed law stating purchasers living in contiguous states.

for that matter if you are a resident of mass now you are a tax evader also.
(not swapping your Lic and registration over to mass.) Just FYI. Now as a good Democrat
I would think you would be happy to pay more taxes. Or are you just a troll?

Back
Top Bottom