• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interested in trying bird hunting...

I live in NH and intend to hunt here in NH. I have two 12ga shotguns so I'm all set as far as a gun to use.
Other than that I have no place to hunt, no bird dog, and no clue. I have some former bird hunters on my wife's side of the family but they live in New Jersey. Does anyone know of a guide service or lodge that would be open to a total noob trying to learn how to hunt? I'm planning on doing all the required reading this week on the NH laws and regulations for bird seasons, limits, ammo types, etc. I just thought it might be easiest to go through a guide service or something like that my first few times out.

Bird as in duck, or bird as in pheasant/grouse. I have had a lot more success duck hunting without a dog then pheasant. However I love to pheasant hunt as well.

Just basicaly get out there and find a spot to hunt. Massachusetts has one of the most aggresive pheasent stocking programs in the country. NE has a lot of places to duck hunt and the laws to access land are a lot more relaxed then MA. Find a place 500 feet from a dwelling and 125 feet from a road, that is not posted and your good. Google earth is great.

I would suggest against the guide service because it is a lot better to figure it out yourself and is more rewarding when you do.

beansie let me know...im dying to get out this season and i wanted to do a guided service too...maybe if we can get a few guys together it will cut the cost...im in!

I'm interested in a guide service too. Also Beansie if you want to go let me know . I live in MA ,but also pheasant hunt in NH. I go to a place off 107 in Seabrook and a spot in Exeter. I don't have a dog, but i bag a few last year. I know they stock the pheasant in the mornings in NH so i think you have a better chance seeing a bird. MA they do it late night or real early in the morning so by the time you are out there they are in cover.

I emailed Ladyfox Game Preserves before...

What they do is before you arrive, they put out the birds. Then the guide takes you to find them (with their pointing dog for $50). They also said hunts can be very quick (depending on how far the birds wandered off and how good of a shooter you are too).

I emailed Ladyfox Game Preserves before...

What they do is before you arrive, they put out the birds. Then the guide takes you to find them (with their pointing dog for $50). They also said hunts can be very quick (depending on how far the birds wandered off and how good of a shooter you are too).

I used to work their when i was in high school; my buddy still does odd jobs for them. They are a quality people and have quality birds.

I'm having trouble deciding where to try to go.....Thanks for the guys who have publicly and privately offered to let me tag along with them!![smile]

Back
Top Bottom