• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is everyone ok with Elmer support?

An Elmer is a ham radio operator that helps interested non hams and newbies get started in the hobby. I just wanted to make sure any newbies were getting the help they needed.
Yes, we have some knowledgeable people around here. Elmer is a ham term, but think mentor. It doesn't just have to be someone helping you study for your exam, it could be someone helping setup your station, teaching you how to tune a dipole, practicing CW with you, helping you get over mic fright and make that first contact, etc.

I like to think a few of us Elmered @Coyote33 but I think most of it was peer pressure and nagging. But he did get help with general and detailed questions about amateur radio, setting up a radio, building an antenna, choosing coax, setting up repeaters on the beloved 'feng, and so on. The donated 2m radio from the club is another example.

Yes, we have some knowledgeable people around here. Elmer is a ham term, but think mentor. It doesn't just have to be someone helping you study for your exam, it could be someone helping setup your station, teaching you how to tune a dipole, practicing CW with you, helping you get over mic fright and make that first contact, etc.

I like to think a few of us Elmered @Coyote33 but I think most of it was peer pressure and nagging. But he did get help with general and detailed questions about amateur radio, setting up a radio, building an antenna, choosing coax, setting up repeaters on the beloved 'feng, and so on. The donated 2m radio from the club is another example.
Yes, all of that, and all of you here on NES, at CMARA, at QVARC, and a few from my town and sportsman's club.

I could use some guidance here and there.

As posted previously my uncle passed on to the world of the silent key, I purchased a chunk of his equipment and will be slowly working to set it up, I've had my license for years but aside from listening to my bao Feng on a home brew antenna and the occasional chat on the local repeater I haven't done anything with it.

I guess my first question is:

I seem to remember something about a computer driven digital mode that exchanges were brief and basically completely electronic. Something like a packet goes out, you recieve, ship similar packet out and that's your contact.

Though it sounds boring for some, I think while I don't know what I'm talking about it might be the first foray into ham and some long contacts, but I forget what the term is to look it up.

I guess my first question is:

I seem to remember something about a computer driven digital mode that exchanges were brief and basically completely electronic. Something like a packet goes out, you recieve, ship similar packet out and that's your contact.

Though it sounds boring for some, I think while I don't know what I'm talking about it might be the first foray into ham and some long contacts, but I forget what the term is to look it up.

Most likely you're thinking of the currently popular FT8 which operates with a 15 second transmit/receive cycle exchanging callsign, location and a signal report. The software can be downloaded here and you'll need a usb cable and suitable HF radio.

Some consider it boring but a lot depends on what you are looking to get out of it. It's easy enough to make contacts somewhere any time of day. My FT8 interest is DX hunting, watching for and pouncing on foreign stations calling CQ.

Most likely you're thinking of the currently popular FT8 which operates with a 15 second transmit/receive cycle exchanging callsign, location and a signal report. The software can be downloaded here and you'll need a usb cable and suitable HF radio.

Some consider it boring but a lot depends on what you are looking to get out of it. It's easy enough to make contacts somewhere any time of day. My FT8 interest is DX hunting, watching for and pouncing on foreign stations calling CQ.
Sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks

There is also JS8CALL, which is similar, but more of a conversational QSO vs signal report, 73. FT8 is all the rage these days, though.

So I was trying to decipher the aarl band plan, from what I understand ft8 is USB phone. Looks like it's no Bueno on basically all technician channels?

Looks like I'm going to want at least my general anyway, but wanted to confirm.

So I was trying to decipher the aarl band plan, from what I understand ft8 is USB phone. Looks like it's no Bueno on basically all technician channels?

Looks like I'm going to want at least my general anyway, but wanted to confirm.
It's in the RTTY/DATA portion typically (always?). But Tech only has non-CW privileges on 10m and up. "They" do monitor FT8 and it's common for techs to be where they shouldn't be.

Regardless, yes you want your general. Free Study Guides.

With that said, Techs have voice privileges on 10m as well (10m and up, actually). It's a great band and when it's open it is extra great. 6m has been doing well lately, but you have to catch the openings.

Get your general and the world of ham radio will open for you. You were able to get your technicians licence the general is just as easy only a few new things and many technician questions asked differently. If you have any questions you can contact me I have mentored many hams in the past.
John N1HM

Thank you. Need to get the lawn/garden/pool/cars all set first, then plan summer vacation, then enjoy a little bit of summer, then can think about General test in the fall.

Thanks for the offer/concern.
Got my Technician last Friday.
Might need some help whenever I decide to do "General". Probably over the winter.

Definitely get the general. I was a tech for years, and got my general last year. Its been awesome. I have been spending most of my time exploring digital modes, and antennas. I do some voice (phone), but mostly working on antennas and trying to capture beacons, HF Radio fax, and HF packet with a family member.

We've been using the summer to setup remote stations and try to contact the other person via packet, then voice.

totally worth it.

^ That's some good practice there. If you follow The Tech Prepper on the youstubes, he does a lot of stuff like that. It's a really good way to figure out what works, what doesn't, what gear you need/don't need, etc. He does a nice job, and is pretty honest when he fails.

And yeah, General is no small step up in what you can do.

Definitely get the general. I was a tech for years, and got my general last year. Its been awesome. I have been spending most of my time exploring digital modes, and antennas. I do some voice (phone), but mostly working on antennas and trying to capture beacons, HF Radio fax, and HF packet with a family member.

We've been using the summer to setup remote stations and try to contact the other person via packet, then voice.

totally worth it.

^ That's some good practice there. If you follow The Tech Prepper on the youstubes, he does a lot of stuff like that. It's a really good way to figure out what works, what doesn't, what gear you need/don't need, etc. He does a nice job, and is pretty honest when he fails.

And yeah, General is no small step up in what you can do.

Yeah, once some projects at work settle down, and I get some house stuff ready for us and the father in law; I'll try to carve out some time to practice for the next test. Need to keep my eyes open for another course.

What are some good radios to consider? Thinking Yaesu or Icom, right? I don't need all the doodads, but would want to do the above mentioned packets, beacons, (FT8?), satellite?, EME?

Yeah, once some projects at work settle down, and I get some house stuff ready for us and the father in law; I'll try to carve out some time to practice for the next test. Need to keep my eyes open for another course.

What are some good radios to consider? Thinking Yaesu or Icom, right? I don't need all the doodads, but would want to do the above mentioned packets, beacons, (FT8?), satellite?, EME?
Yaesu FT-891 is real popular right now. 100w, 160-6m all modes, mobile. You'll need an interface device to do digital stuff with it, but I think that's the case with most mobile radios. There's probably 1,000 videos on how to set that up, and I'm pretty sure it's pretty simple to do.

I guess I assumed mobile. Non-mobile (or less than mobile) rigs like the Yaesu FT-710/FTdx10 or Icom 7300 will offer a lot more functions and/or be easier to use because there won't be so much buried in menus (because they can be bigger and have buttons for things). People do bring them in the field, but I'd have to be doing a serious event to bring something like that. I like mobile radios for portable/field use.

In general, Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood are a good place to start looking.

It's been a long time, but I don't recall the material covered by General to be a whole lot harder than Technician, just different.

I have an FT-891 + its Tuner, Signal Link, and a little NUC computer. Its a great little radio, does what i need. Its all built into a small extrusion cube, so i can put it into my camper also when i go remote.

I didn't want to start a whole thread about it, but I've looked in the past and not really found a good explanation of what various bands are good for. Last night I came across this. A few bands are tied in tightly to the solar cycle, and we're currently still rising in cycle 25, so they'll be getting better for the next few years.

Was thinking I could maybe get onto 10 Meters with Technician license and one of these. Are they worth looking at? I've never done ebay, and don't really want to start now, but at least it shows that there are options available, right?

1703711740964.png

Was thinking I could maybe get onto 10 Meters with Technician license and one of these. Are they worth looking at? I've never done ebay, and don't really want to start now, but at least it shows that there are options available, right?

View attachment 832350
I have an HTX-10 that've had for 15+ years. Still works well. I hook it up every few months to my station and make a few contacts. It's not as easy to use as my regular HF rigs but it holds it's own when I throw it in my truck as a mobile radio.

I have an HTX-10 that've had for 15+ years. Still works well. I hook it up every few months to my station and make a few contacts. It's not as easy to use as my regular HF rigs but it holds it's own when I throw it in my truck as a mobile radio.
Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean programming stations? Is there a better alternative at those sort of prices? This was ebay, which I don't use. Are there other decent places to look?

Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean programming stations? Is there a better alternative at those sort of prices? This was ebay, which I don't use. Are there other decent places to look?
one of the problems for me is how small the vfo/tuning dial is...plus you get the station almost dialed in and then you need to use the clarifier to bring in the station dead nuts on and that clarifier is really touchy.

one of the problems for me is how small the vfo/tuning dial is...plus you get the station almost dialed in and then you need to use the clarifier to bring in the station dead nuts on and that clarifier is really touchy.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm not familiar with any of those, but if they're FM only, the Tech portion of the band doesn't reach up to the FM portion. Tech is 28.300-28.500 and FM is up in the upper 29, with 29.600 being the calling frequency. If they're all mode or at least SSB, then I'd say any radio that gets you on the air is a good one.

Back
Top Bottom