• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is it legal in MA to shot rats in my garage with 22 shot shells?

Leave your lawnmower, or other power equipment running, outside, during the extermination procedure. [wink]

I just start the snowblower, and leave it running with the door closed, and wait with a BB gun for the pests to come out. They don't like to suffocate either.

I have a squirrel problem. Have a nice workout bench by a rear window where squirrels hang out. Have a sweet 22 I could shoot from the center of the room or of sight view and sound. Great plan. But..... Gonna go get a pellet gun. God forbid someone finds 22 rnds in a pile of dead squirrels then the witch hunt begins.

With rats for every one you see there's probably 10 more you don't see. You might not be able to get rid of all of them by shooting. It might be better to just put out snap traps or poison bait.

Airgun.

I can (and do) legally take out vermin with a .22 where I am, but I still choose to use an airgun. I picked up a nice little pump gun from Pyramydair.com. At least "ammo" is readily available, unlike 22 rimfire [smile]

Expect to spend upwards of $200 for a good rat-taking air rifle -- these are not your grandfather's red ryder BB guns.

Having used .22 shot shells on rats in my youth in another state, I can tell you that they are lousy. They often simply wound the darn thing. Use real .22 ammo or a pellet gun that lets you pump it up a bunch of times and you'll be fine. Just follow the rules about knowing what is behind your target. You may need to put down bait of some kind in front of a good backstop.

I think it is illegal in Mass to ask if something is illegal in Mass.

+1, but requires a clarification:

While it's not really illegal in MA to ask if something is illegal in MA, it can and will be used as a reason to keep an closer that usual eye on you, since MA law enforcement seems to believe that criminals tend to post a detailed description of their future crime online to ask whether it would be legal.

Last edited:
22 shotshells are safe for that, legally meh any real state I'd say blast away, MA is probably always going to be a risk. Can your neighbors see you carrrying aiming and shooting? Pellet gun is more legal but still might get the po po called if your neighbors are jackwads. I suggest poison, whenever I lived where there were rats I'd only see them dead, sneaky little bastards, poison never sleeps.
Snap their necks. They're smart bastids so you have to be creative. Poison they just go in the wall to die if they're living in the house.

Back
Top Bottom