Is the Augusta, ME Gun show worth visiting?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Has anyone been to the gun show in Augusta, ME and if so, is it any good? I was thinking of taking a ride up on Sunday, but it's a long ride and I'm wondering if it's worth it or not. Figure once up there though, there are plenty of things to do after visiting the show.

If you are looking for something to do, then why not take the ride? That having been said, if the same show were down in Mass., I wouldn't bother with it. In your case, I would wait till the following weekend and go to the Concord, NH show. Same dealers you'd see up here, plus a lot more.

I'm thinking of taking the ride because I'll be camping on Labor Day weekend and not able to make it to Concord. That ride isn't so bad from MA. It's supposed to rain all day Sunday so I may just scrap the idea. Wouldn't take to long flying up the highway doing 80+, but in the rain it's going to be slow going.

Brian, this weekend. Sat. 9-4 (or 5?), Sun. 9-2

Are you going to go? I'd invite you to go shoot at the club up here, but they dont have any target frames that you can even use to practice on and I have not made any yet.

I still don't understand how a club doesn't even have a place to even staple a target up to. Almost like they don't want you to shoot. [thinking]

B

I probably won't be going. I've got a bunch of stuff to do around here. Sunday I'll be shooting up in Hampden (going?).

For shooting at Cap. City (I'm a member), I made my own frame to use in the carriers. 4'x4' and a big piece of cardboard to cover it.

I thought about going up but will proberly pass. Have overspent my gun budget for a bit anyways. It's not a great show but usually does get some different dealers from the northern maine area compared to the Lewiston and southern shows. Kinda torn though...for something to do on Sunday (race is Sat PM) it's either drive and hour to Augusta or 45 minues to Kittery...

I probably won't be going. I've got a bunch of stuff to do around here. Sunday I'll be shooting up in Hampden (going?).

For shooting at Cap. City (I'm a member), I made my own frame to use in the carriers. 4'x4' and a big piece of cardboard to cover it.

I might go. Maybe just to see if people are interested in getting a team together to shoot the first week.

So how do you transport your target around? I can't remember if you have a truck or not. I'd like to make three or four up and just leave them up there so that they can be used. I tried to get Pierce targets (coroplast targets) to give me a price for just a couple, but they wouldn't.

B

The two clubs I shoot at in MA are pretty much the same. They require you to bring your own target holders and most people make them out of scrap wood. I went out and bought a cheap metal frame target holder from Dicks that allows you to hang a target on both side of the center pole. Unfortunately thought I had a flyer some months back that took out the top metal piece on the left side that you hang the target from. So, now I tape a stick to what's remaining of the pole on the left side. Looks pretty wierd, but the whole thing breaks down into a small box. Still on the fence though about going up to the show.

Thanks bpm990d for the offer. If I ever make it up there someday to shoot, I'll bring the 50 BMG and some rounds for you to try if your interested.

The biggest problem is that this is the type of target I'm talking about.

not the easiest thing to transport. I've got the afternoon off. I might ust go to the depot and get some stuff. I'm a little worried about leaving it there and having someone shoot it to pieces.

pict0190stdkx6.jpg

I had a friend that had a .50. I shot it once or twice but never got to strech its legs beyond 200yds. Always wanted to go to PA and shoot it here.

http://www.pa1000yard.com/

B

Holy crap!!! That's one big target. Your right, how do you transport that thing around. I used to shoot at Reading Revolver and Rifle in Reading, MA and you needed targets like that as well. They have a good pit setup with hangers that are pushed up above the berm with lane markings for Highpower. The club used to have old hangers that you could use though.

It's a 600 yrd range and we used to hang a coffee can off of them hangers and see if we could hit it with the 50. Only problem is the can pretty much disintegrated after the first hit so you had to drive back to the pit to hang another. Was a LOT of fun though. Had to be careful though as shooters could go to the 200 yrd line and not realize you were shooting from the 600 yrd line. Unfortunately my friend moved out of state so I don't get to shoot there anymore.

I went and can say to the rest of you, if you haven't been, don't bother. Pretty sad show. Almost as bad as Waterville is. I did get some .357 max brass but other than that it was a wasted trip. VERY little that's different. Most tables had but a few firearms. If you're looking for NICE collectable Winchesters or Colt SAA's this was good show, otherwise...stay home

Back
Top Bottom