• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is this true?

So I heard a doozy today. Not sure how much truth there is to it, but considering the guy I heard it from is a pretty straight shooter, I have to ask around. In conversation today he told me that someone from the AGs office put a call into the ATF and asked them to no longer process any NFA stamp requests for SBRs coming out of MA and that you can no longer get one, as the ATF will just make the paperwork "disappear". Said he put in the paperwork for one over a year ago and it is missing. Said his chief told him the ATF wont process anymore stamp requests from MA due to political pressure. Like I said, I tend to believe that he's hearing some wacky tinfoil story, but considering how normal he is figured I'd ask.

So is anyone else not getting SBR stamps here in the commiewealth? Beyond the crazy wait times.

That would be pretty stupid on the AGs part. The state can't interfere with federal law and taking that case to court would be a giant bitch slap to the MA AG.

If anyone thinks this is true, I'm sure Comm2A would love a person to represent.

That would be pretty stupid on the AGs part. The state can't interfere with federal law and taking that case to court would be a giant bitch slap to the MA AG.

If anyone thinks this is true, I'm sure Comm2A would love a person to represent.

That's kind of what I thought, but you never know. I'll ask him more about where he got his info tomorrow.

au contraire! I see this as very plausible. The MA AG has stepped into things beyond the official authority before and I have no reason to believe that she (or her hand picked successor) would be suddenly playing cautious. I can tell you that there have been "joint task forces" of BATFE and state/local LE investigating stuff in MA before. Nobody before Comm2A would have taken them to court and gotten anywhere. I won't speak for Comm2A.

Sounds like tinfoil to me. I received a stamp for an SBR back in April of this year, and if you use the "Advanced Reports" section of NFATracker.com you can see that Form 1s submitted as late as September of this year have been approved in MA.

They have lost papers however. Ive been waiting on a form 3 for an AAC can for a hot minute since they lost the first set of docs and it needed to be resubmitted.

They have lost papers however. Ive been waiting on a form 3 for an AAC can for a hot minute since they lost the first set of docs and it needed to be resubmitted.
Are you in MA? I was under the impression that nobody could acquire a can in MA. Also, what is a hot minute?

Are you in MA? I was under the impression that nobody could acquire a can in MA. Also, what is a hot minute?

Two possibilities:
1) Not in MA
2) 07 (Manufacturer) FFL. Manufacturers are exempted from the MA silencer ban, so if you see someone in MA with a can they are most likely an 07 FFL.

- - - Updated - - -

If you get an FFL07 you can make a can in MA

Or buy one, 07 FFLs are exempted from the ban, period, so they can acquire cans through the same channels as any other dealer (assuming they have their SOT).

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10A

i received 2 stamps over the summer. 1 took 4 months the other took 2 weeks. Did them through a trust and in MA. i hope this information you were given is not true but one can never know living in MA.

So I heard a doozy today. Not sure how much truth there is to it, but considering the guy I heard it from is a pretty straight shooter, I have to ask around. In conversation today he told me that someone from the AGs office put a call into the ATF and asked them to no longer process any NFA stamp requests for SBRs coming out of MA and that you can no longer get one, as the ATF will just make the paperwork "disappear". Said he put in the paperwork for one over a year ago and it is missing. Said his chief told him the ATF wont process anymore stamp requests from MA due to political pressure. Like I said, I tend to believe that he's hearing some wacky tinfoil story, but considering how normal he is figured I'd ask.

So is anyone else not getting SBR stamps here in the commiewealth? Beyond the crazy wait times.

Smells like BS but this has happened before, EOPS has tried to fill important people's heads with fake laws at the NFA branch, wouldn't surprise me if the AGs office has tried to do the same thing. Also, NFA branch losing paperwork would not surprise me in the slightest. Years ago a guy had a registered dewat conversion application in process, which the ATF tried to claim wasn't legit because they had no record of the registered dewat, the reality was that they lost the data somewhere along the line. (IIRC he took BATFE to court and won, but it was fairly brutal). For something the gov assigns felonies to their whole operation is pretty slipsshod. IMHO they keep it as archaic as possible to deter people from getting NFA devices. (there's no valid reason why 80% of NFA transfers couldn't be conducted by a dealer in 5 minutes...)

-Mike

Here is one other possibility, although it applies to form 4 transfers.

If you are buying a NFA item and submit a form 4 and there is a problem with it, the ATF will return the form to the SELLER, even though you submitted the form with your own money. Sometimes the seller, who already has been paid in full, isn't aware of what the problem is throws away the mail, or doesn't realize its the only copy in existance.

You see, the ATF mails the ORIGINAL back to the seller. If it gets lost, the buyer, is left wondering what the heck happened to his Form 4.

Don

Back
Top Bottom