Issues with Russian TulAmmo .380acp in Keltec & Ruger pocket pistols. Anyone?

My son-in-law and I were shooting over Father's day and he was loading his Ruger LCP in .380acp with some of this new TulAmmo .380 acp steel cased, 91grain ball fmj. When he racked the slide he said his trigger would not work. I examined the pistol to find that the slide had not gone into full battery but jambed pretty well solid. I was able to tap the back of the slide getting into battery. Then I pulled the mag and inserted an empty one. I took a shot with that errant round and the pistol worked fine. But when we tried another round, sure 'nuff it would not allow the slide to go into battery.

I then took some of that same ammo and tried it in my Keltec P380 (essentially the same gun as the Ruger) and lo and behold it would not allow my slide to lock in place, either. But when I ran this ammo through one of my Bersa Thunder .380 acp pistols, it worked perfectly. Last night I was chatting up a buddy and asked him what his experience was with this ammo and he, too, said he could NOT shoot it in his small Ruger, period.

Anyone else having an issue with this stuff? The Bersa likes it fine but it's not good for the Keltec or Ruger mini pistols.

Rome

not surprising. these things aren't exactly known for their outstanding ability to chow down on any ammo you stuff in there. i've only ever fed mine brass/nickle plated.

if you were closer i'd offer to sell you a box of american eagle .380.

That steel cased Russki ammo is underpowered anyways, or so my experience has been. The steel case also gives some guns problems. My Beretta hated the 9mm stuff.

Atilla, I've actually got a good stash of AE stuff that I shoot. I never shoot the Russian stuff as a general rule. I don't like the soot that they create. It was my son-in-law that experienced the problem when shooting right next to me. I offered swap boxes because my Bersa loved the stuff.

I've been a Keltec owner for many years, now, and cut my teeth on the vagaries of the ammo it likes and doesn't like. Now that I've got some time on it, however, it eats pretty much anything I feed it.......except for this Ruskie stuff.

Rome

That steel cased Russki ammo is underpowered anyways, or so my experience has been. The steel case also gives some guns problems. My Beretta hated the 9mm stuff.
I ran some.308 Tula steel case military FMJ through my Ruger .308 bolt-action rifle. Using a chronograph, I found that it exited my rifle's 22" barrel at an average muzzle velocity of 2,800 FPS. Seems within the performance range of commercial factory hunting loads with the equivalent 150 grain bullet. Not sure about Tula's other offerings, though. I have only used their .308 loads.

I ran some.308 Tula steel case military FMJ through my Ruger .308 bolt-action rifle. Using a chronograph, I found that it exited my rifle's 22" barrel at an average muzzle velocity of 2,800 FPS. Seems within the performance range of commercial factory hunting loads with the equivalent 150 grain bullet. Not sure about Tula's other offerings, though. I have only used their .308 loads.

I think it's mostly their pistol ammo. I've never had a problem with their ammo in my WASR or M10.

TulAmmo .380 in my Bodyguard jambs it up as you describe...every time....won't feed, locks the slide up prior to full seat.

My PK380 hates the regular Tula, but the Tula BrassMaxx works well. It eats any other type of ammo though, even the Wolf 380 which is 91gr steel cased like the Tula 380.

TulAmmo .380 in my Bodyguard jambs it up as you describe...every time....won't feed, locks the slide up prior to full seat.
Same with my Bodyguard and Tula, won't extract and jambs up so I have to hold open the slide and tap the butt on a table to have the round drop out. Looks like the extractor has trouble grabbing the smaller lip on the Tula case.

My PK380 hates the regular Tula, but the Tula BrassMaxx works well. It eats any other type of ammo though, even the Wolf 380 which is 91gr steel cased like the Tula 380.

Sig 238 won't feed tula either, projectile seems larger rounded blocks feed.

Well that sucks, I bought 1000 rounds @ Marlboro back in January out of desperation. My wife has a P238 and a PPK 380.
My daughter also has a PPK 380. I bought it for them [sad2] .

Attachments

• Marlboro 7.62x54R.jpg
    Marlboro 7.62x54R.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 13
The 7.62 / .223 / 9mm Tula I have no problems with. I shoot and have shot a TON of 7.62 & .223 ammo with my Sig rifles they eat everything I put in them.

Back
Top Bottom