It's time to build.

I'm going to start an AR build this year. I was just down visiting my inlaws, and my father in law was giving me a tour of his safe which, aside from some other goodies, includes 3 ARs, two of which he built from the ground up. I can't afford a new rifle off the rack right now, so I'm convinced it's time to build. Itll take a while, but what the hell, ive got time. I was thinking SBR and wondering if I should go 5.56 or 6.8. I've gotta start with the stripped lower. Are they all essentially the same? What do you guys like?

Where to start, lol...

You really won't save any money, unless you are talking about acquiring parts over time, which for the most part will cost you more as you will pay shipping charges over and over again. If you wan't an SBR, you can get a lower now, and put in the paperwork, and save up for the next 6 months or so to pay for the remainder of the parts.

Mike

Yeah I was thinking about doing it over the next year. I'm definitely a little out of my element, but I figured if my father in law could build 2 (I assume) functioning ARs I should be able to figure it out. When I asked him if he had shot any of them he said, "no, I collect. I don't really shoot them." I died a little inside, and just hoped they would end up in the inheritence. [smile]

Anyway, it'll take some time to do, but if I can end up with a nice setup at the end, I don't mind taking the time and getting the right parts.

I would recommend compiling a parts list and saving the money, then buying all at once. In my opinion, a short barreled AR is not the best "swiss army knife" rifle. If you go with a 16 inch rifle, you will get the best mix of maneuverability, range, weight, and at the same time dodge all the NFA crap.

More than likely your first rifle won't be perfect, and you will sell it and buy another.

Key points, buy right once. If you want something that is out of your budget, save and get it. I went all out on my newer build and it is perfect to me. Also, stay light on the weight. Buy lighter components. Buy the light profile barrel, you aren't firing in sustained full automatic fire, so a larger barrel is not necessary for a portable rifle. There are plenty of free float rail systems on the market. Most of the tubes are relatively lightweight, but if you want something that has the entire setup railed, look into something like the DD Lite rail or spikes SAR rail.

Mike

Do yourself a favor, don't build an AR platform rifle with the cheapest junk you can find to keep costs down. You'll end up with crap in the end. And get a few "proper" tools to help you. A set of roll pin punches for starters. And a nice, small brass machinist hammer. If you only buy minimal tools these are it. And a small roll of painters tape to mask off a section of the receiver so when you try and tap in a roll pin and you miss, you won't mar the finish. If you want to really save money buy a S&W M&P AR. I think they go for really short money, it's quality at the price point, and you probably can't build one any cheaper. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom