I've given up trying to use my digital reloading scale!!!

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I'm new to reloading and I've been using a PACT BBKII digital scale that has turned into the biggest piece of crap. No matter what I do this thing will not stay zeroed properly. I can only calibrate it while using battery power, but when I install plug power the zero changes. So I tried using it under battery power only, but again, the zero changes. The 20 grain weight will be dead on at 308.6, as it should be, for the first few powder checks then change to heavier weights as I go along.

I sent it back because it would not calibrate at all and this is what it's doing now that I have it back. Time to get ride of this and go to a tried and true balance beam scale. With that said, I picked up a RCBS 505 that I should be getting shortly. It may be slower and "old fashioned", but I bet it will be accurate. Sometimes technology is not always a good (and reliable) thing!!!!

Um, yes I do have a florescent light over my work bench. Could that be causing a problem? It's weird because the scale acts like my check weights are magnatized. When they get close to the scale tray the weight starts to change before it's actually touching the pad.

Try it in an area of the house without one and see if it makes a difference. I have a light, but my little battery-operated $30 Frankford Arsenal scale doesn't care, so I'm lucky. Flourescent lights can wreak havok on electronic scales, though.

I use digital scales all the time in the lab and they work fine. Try what telemark said. The nice thing with digitals is that rezeroing is easy.

Could be noise getting onto the power supply of the scale from your a/c power line. Try putting a ferrite on the power lead to the scale. Radio Shack might have them.

jkelly

Last edited:
Give Pact another chance...at least they have great ads
http://www.pact.com/TommyGunAd.wmv

Can't you keep it plugged in all the time? Even when zeroing. I have no problems with my Pact.

Unfortunately no. It will not calibrate when I have the external power plugged in. It will only calibrate when the power is disconnected.

Yep and sent it back once already. Probably will send it back again. Due to the zero changing, I've begun to doubt the readings it's gives me ever time I use it. So maybe it's a good time to work with the balance beam scale for a while.

OK, have you tried using it somewhere outside your home?? It could be all the tin foil you have wrapped around the attic you know[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom