Jack Reed's response to my CIFTA treaty letter.

About par for what I expected. The usual "I really do care about firearm owners, but we need more laws to stop the evil gun runners in Mexico". [puke]

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Inter-American Convention Against the Illicit Manufacturing of and Trafficking in Firearms, Ammunition, Explosives, and Other Related Materials (CIFTA). I appreciate hearing from you.

On November 13, 1997, the Organization of American States (OAS) adopted CIFTA, a multilateral treaty designed to prevent, combat, and eradicate illegal transnational trafficking in firearms, ammunition, and explosives. By ratifying CIFTA, member states formally recognize the illicit manufacturing and trafficking of firearms as criminal offenses, and agree to strengthen enforcement efforts aimed at reducing this illicit market. CIFTA was signed by the United States and 28 other OAS member states on November 14, 1997, and entered into effect on July 1, 1998. Currently, twenty-nine OAS member states have ratified the Convention, while four other OAS member states, including the United States, are signatories but have yet to ratify the treaty.

As a graduate of the United States Military Academy and a former officer in the U.S. Army, I respect firearms and appreciate responsible gun ownership. I also recognize the tradition and value of hunting and other sporting activities involving guns, and believe we should not restrict access to firearms by law-abiding sportsmen or other gun enthusiasts.

However, I believe we can, and must, do more to reduce gun-related crimes that shatter the lives of too many Americans. While some consider international arms trade treaties an infringement on free trade, many others agree that such measures will help prevent large caches of weapons, including those left over from previous conflicts, from getting into the hands of criminals. For your review, I have enclosed a Congressional Research Service report on gun trafficking on our southwestern border.

Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind should the Senate consider CIFTA or other arms trade treaties in the future.

Again, thank you for contacting me, and please do not hesitate to write, call, or visit my website, www.reed.senate.gov, in the future for information regarding this or any other matter.

Sincerely,

Jack Reed
United States Senator
http://reed.senate.gov

If you'd like to send another message, please do so at http://reed.senate.gov/contact/ . Thank you.
Enclosure

I got the same BS reply.

The funny thing is that is was addressed to my son. My son had used my email address to send his office an email for scouts. The don't even read who signed the email, they just have his name auto-populate because that was the first name that was used from that particular email address. More proof that we are nothing more the serfs to these people.

"a multilateral treaty designed to prevent, combat, and eradicate illegal transnational trafficking in firearms, ammunition, and explosives"

Here's a thought...why don't we stop allowing illegal people in? You gonna tell me that the increase in the number of illegals and the number of illegal weapons are not proportionate?

Last edited:
Here's a thought...why don't we stop allowing illegal people in? You gonna tell me that the increase in the number of illegals and the number of illegal weapons are not proportionate?

No. Crime is higher among born citizens. Blaming a blanket population is the same tactic these idiots use against gun owners.

No. Crime is higher among born citizens. Blaming a blanket population is the same tactic these idiots use against gun owners.

Don't want to start a 6 week old argument but 1. crime statistics I've read involving illegals are staggering 2. Drug cartels introduce many of the "illegal" firearms in use BY natural born citizens and 3. Illegals (12 million of them) do not have 2A rights. If they want to fight "the war on drugs" and "the war on guns" they need fight the "war on illegals." Which would also create jobs (that naturally, we don't "want") and reduce the strain on social services, thus reducing taxpayer burden.

I'm not blaming illegals for everything. I'm merely stating fact...all 12 million of them are criminals.

"a multilateral treaty designed to prevent, combat, and eradicate illegal transnational trafficking in firearms, ammunition, and explosives"

This was exactly what I was thinking...if they are coming in illegally, why not stop THEM? Then BOTH problems are solved...oh, wait, thats logical...and we are dealing with politicians here. Silly me

What a wonderful non-answer. He didn't say whether he supported it or opposed it but made statements that could be interpreted as either. Tool.

Most illegals do not commit crimes in our boarders, it is the same BS that they use against gun owners ..... I do beileive that all people in the US should be residents and pay taxes of course, but it is unfair to make a blanket statement. I am of Greek and Italian descent and they did the same thing to my people back in the teens and 20's.

Redbos99, I think that the statement that they are here illegally makes them criminal-their crime is entering the US as undocumented. Thats not to say that they arent good people, or bad people-but, the fact remains, they came here illegally, and that makes them a criminal.
Now, taking care of this issue will not make violent crime go away, nor will we suddenly see a drop in firearm crimes. To get those statistics down, we need truth in sentencing. Which is something we have, I thought....it just isnt enforced.
I do agree that likely a large part of the illegals coming in arent criminals by nature, they are just looking for a better life. But, they need to be LEGAL, and contribute to our way of life via taxes, licenses, etc-in essence, be a productive citizen, like most of us are.

The moment someone illegally enters this country they become a criminal. Saying that they are good people and don't commit crimes is a farce. I understand they have come for a better life but it does not change the result. Saying otherwise minimizes the crime, which is why we have 12 million illegals. We have normalized it. Isn't enterring this country illegally a felony? I am over 40 and never committed a felony in this country.

Is it just me? if someone is willing to break our laws to come here, why don't we think they would break the law again to stay? (false ID, fake name, identity fraud..etc.etc.)

Back
Top Bottom