John Kelly Memorial Practical Shooting Match - July 31 - Harvard Sportsmens Club

On Sunday, July 31st, 2011, the Harvard Sportsmens Club will be hosting the 2nd Annual John Kelly Memorial Practical Shooting Match in memory of our departed friend John Kelly. Mr. Kelly was an avid practical shooting participant who never had a bad word for any one discipline over another (he played them all) and was always the first one to lend a helping hand to both new and experienced shooters alike.

In memory of Mr. Kelly, we ask that all experienced shooters who attend the match go the extra mile to help out new folks either coming out to try practical shooting for the first time, or experienced shooters trying a new discipline. Last year we had 77 shooters from the entire spectrum of experience and a good time was had by all.

This year will have five stages with a slightly different lineup: (1) IDPA; (2) USPSA; (3) Steel Challenge; (4) Walls of Steel; and (5) NRA Police Pistol Combat. All stages will be outdoors this year. We dropped the indoor-no light IDPA stage and added the PPC stage. Same rules as last year, pick one gun and equipment setup and use it for all 5 stages regardless of the individual sport's equipment rules. You will have to follow each sport's rule regarding magazine capacity, so for example in the Walls of Steel and IDPA stages the maximum round capacity will be 10 per magazine. We will have 5 divisions based on USPSA: Open, Production, Single Stack, Limited and Revolver (no Limited 10 - shooting Production with a Limited gun is OK). Dave Bold from The Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford has stepped up and will do the scoring for us so that a champion, bragging rights only (no trophies), will be crowned in each division.

This year there will be no pre-registration or T-shirts... Registration will start at 9:00 a.m. on the day of the match, shooters meeting at 9:45 a.m. and first shots at 10:00 a.m. The match fee will be $20 and 1/2 will go to GOAL and the other 1/2 to the American Heart Association.

If you have thought about trying practical shooting, this is the place to start! You will need a pistol or revolver (9mm to .45 for pistols; .38 to .45 for revolvers), a strong side belt holster, and three loading devices (magazines, speedloaders, moonclips, etc). As usual, eye and ear protection as well and 200 rounds of ammunition to be on the safe side.

My thanks to Michael Joffe and the Harvard SC Metro West Tactical IDPA Group; Dan Hurley and the Harvard Action Shooters USPSA Group; Paul Dandini and the Harvard SC Steel Challenge Group; Dave Bold and the Action Pistol Team at The Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford; and Jim Richardson and the Walls of Steel Team from the Wallum Lake Rod & Gun Club. Jim may have to work so if he can't make it we'll try and put up a Walls of Steel-worthy stage.

If anyone would like to staff the match just send me an email at [email protected] or send me a PM on Northeastshooters.com (NBPD3682). We look forward to seeing everyone again this year!

Regards,
John Catterall
Match Director

I'm in to staff. I'm a certified IDPA SO and USPSA RO.

I'll be shooting one of my production M&Ps. If there's anyone who's been thinking of trying action pistol that doesn't have gear, I'm happy to loan out my back up M&P or my S&W model 66 revolver and the associated gear.

3 loading devices will be a little light for USPSA in production, SS, or revo. Also, 5 is helpful for steel challenge. That said, don't let being short anything stop you. We'll work with you to make it work, and there's probably someone who has extra you can use unless you bring something exotic.

I enjoyed last years match and look forward to July 31. I don't think it is a good idea to allow Limited guns in Production, however. The 1911 and clones were banned from Production for a reason.

Just found out I'll be away that weekend. I will be thinking of John and the rest of you on Sunday...

Have fun.

-Cuz.

How about some info on the new PPC stage. Barricades? Weak hand shooting? Sitting? Kneeling? Prone? I hope that you have abandoned the idea of combining L 10 with Production. The only thing these two divisions have in common is mag capacity. A better home for L 10 is Limited; they share the same rules with the exception of mag capacity. Just restrict L 10 and Limited to 10 rounds.

I hope that you have abandoned the idea of combining L 10 with Production. The only thing these two divisions have in common is mag capacity. A better home for L 10 is Limited; they share the same rules with the exception of mag capacity. Just restrict L 10 and Limited to 10 rounds.

Totally disagree with this. Since the only discipline that has power factor advantage by rule is USPSA, L10 and Prod as well as SSP fit very well together and make it easier for the guy doing the scores.

Since the stats person developed a way to score a match of this type and it is a "Fun match" why try to change what works and makes it easier on the volunteer?

Hello All.

A fundraising stage will be setup to raise money for American Heart Association and GOAL.

Stage 1 will consist of a supplied Remington 1100 TAC-4 Shotgun and ammunition. COF will be 2 pepper poppers which activate 2 clays, then texas star. 9 Round MIN. House gun will start with 8+1 and you will have UP TO 25 rounds available to complete the COF.
You may also bring your own shotgun/ammo or use our supplied ammo.

We will be asking for a $10 donation per string.

All shotgun ammunition will be supplied by Blue Northern Trading in Ayer, just minutes away from HSC

Stage 2 Shooters supplied hand gun and ammunition. COF will be 2 pepper poppers, 2 paper, texas star.

We will be asking for a $5.00 donation per string.

Hello All.

A fundraising stage will be setup to raise money for American Heart Association and GOAL.

Stage 1 will consist of a supplied Remington 1100 TAC-4 Shotgun and ammunition. COF will be 2 pepper poppers which activate 2 clays, then texas star. 9 Round MIN. House gun will start with 8+1 and you will have UP TO 25 rounds available to complete the COF.
You may also bring your own shotgun/ammo or use our supplied ammo.

We will be asking for a $10 donation per string.

All shotgun ammunition will be supplied by Blue Northern Trading in Ayer, just minutes away from HSC

Stage 2 Shooters supplied hand gun and ammunition. COF will be 2 pepper poppers, 2 paper, texas star.

We will be asking for a $5.00 donation per string.

I am working the USPSA stage but would like to try these out. Come and spell me for a few minutes [grin]

How about some info on the new PPC stage. Barricades? Weak hand shooting? Sitting? Kneeling? Prone? I hope that you have abandoned the idea of combining L 10 with Production. The only thing these two divisions have in common is mag capacity. A better home for L 10 is Limited; they share the same rules with the exception of mag capacity. Just restrict L 10 and Limited to 10 rounds.

We haven't finalized the PPC stage yet... this entire match we are conscious that some new people may be mobility challenged so we are going to avoid ackward start positions, kneeling, prone etc. So most likely the PPC stage will involve a common firing line, probably firing standing with some strings strong hand only, weak hand only and freestyle (two hands, or one if you like). There will be a par time for the shooters to get their shots off within a certain limit - scoring will be on the NRA B-27 target.

TRAVEL ADVISORY - FOR THE JOHN KELLY MATCH...

Folks, please see the following information that came from the Harvard Sportsmen's Club newsletter. You will want to avoid following directions that take you from Exit 29 on Route 495 then onto Route 2, Porter Street, etc. Due to construction, come to the club from the south instead of the north - start out by taking Exit 28 off of Route 495 instead... See below:

From the Newsletter...

============================================

WHITCOMB AVENUE (LITTLETON COUNTY ROAD) CLOSING

Construction work is slated to begin very soon on the roadway to HSC from the "Littleton Side." The current proposal includes closing the roadway beginning the first week of August. We will keep you posted as we learn more.

Please be prepared to take the alternate route through Harvard from the Route 111 end.
Take Exit 28 from I-495.
Head west on Route 111.
Go through traffic lights at Swanson Road,
Turn right onto Littleton County Road.
Stay right with Littleton County Road at Oak Hill Road split.
Continue approximately 1.8 miles to HSC

If you're running an event at HSC, please be sure let the attendees know.

We haven't finalized the PPC stage yet... this entire match we are conscious that some new people may be mobility challenged so we are going to avoid ackward start positions, kneeling, prone etc. So most likely the PPC stage will involve a common firing line, probably firing standing with some strings strong hand only, weak hand only and freestyle (two hands, or one if you like). There will be a par time for the shooters to get their shots off within a certain limit - scoring will be on the NRA B-27 target.

Damn! Kneeling isn't any more awkward than weak hand shooting!Now prone... that just sucks. What are the B-27 targets? Are they the black ones?

I'm confused. I shot PPC for many years and never fired a strong or weak hand only stage. It was always barricade left and right with the shooter using weak hand with a two hand hold. I guess the PPC course of fire has changed since I last shot it.

Totally disagree with this. Since the only discipline that has power factor advantage by rule is USPSA, L10 and Prod as well as SSP fit very well together and make it easier for the guy doing the scores.

Since the stats person developed a way to score a match of this type and it is a "Fun match" why try to change what works and makes it easier on the volunteer?

With all due respect, Gary, you are wrong. I shot my Production gun and my Limited gun back to back on some steel stages in practice and the difference is HUGE. L 10 belongs in the same division as Limited because they use the same rules with the exception of mag capacity which is easy to deal with; limit everyone in Limited and L 10 to ten rounds. What's so hard about this?

Production shooters face restrictions on holster and mag placement (behind the point of the hip) as well as weight of the pistol (2oz over stock, I believe). Also single action autos are banned. L 10 shooters face NO restrictions. For the most part L 10 shooters are competing with 1911 style race guns (minus comps and optics) and Open holsters. As I said im my original post "the USPSA banned 1911s and clones from Production Division for good reason". If this match is to be run under USPSA rules, let's follow USPSA rules.

My objections are the result of hands on experience. I used both guns and rigs on the same courses of fire and the results were overwhelming. These guns do not belong in the same division.

PS I ran this idea by several experienced shooters and they all thought it was wrong, and that's putting it mildly.

PS I would like to get a final word on this so I can decide whether to shoot my Production gun in Production, or get out the Limited pistol.

With all due respect, Gary, you are wrong. {SNIP}
If this match is to be run under USPSA rules, let's follow USPSA rules.

Guess I am misunderstanding you but Each stage runs under the rules of the Discipline. Only 1 stage is run under USPSA rules. IDPA stage uses their rules (10 rounds plus one in chamber at start), Walls of Steel (10 rounds), Steel challenge 5 targets, and PPC we will see.

Guess I am just a little lost with where there is an advantage except for the USPSA stage.

Sorry, I still disagree Fred.

Last edited:
With all due respect, Gary, you are wrong. I shot my Production gun and my Limited gun back to back on some steel stages in practice and the difference is HUGE. L 10 belongs in the same division as Limited because they use the same rules with the exception of mag capacity which is easy to deal with; limit everyone in Limited and L 10 to ten rounds. What's so hard about this?

Production shooters face restrictions on holster and mag placement (behind the point of the hip) as well as weight of the pistol (2oz over stock, I believe). Also single action autos are banned. L 10 shooters face NO restrictions. For the most part L 10 shooters are competing with 1911 style race guns (minus comps and optics) and Open holsters. As I said im my original post "the USPSA banned 1911s and clones from Production Division for good reason". If this match is to be run under USPSA rules, let's follow USPSA rules.

My objections are the result of hands on experience. I used both guns and rigs on the same courses of fire and the results were overwhelming. These guns do not belong in the same division.

PS I ran this idea by several experienced shooters and they all thought it was wrong, and that's putting it mildly.

I disagree. The difference in holster and mag position is tenths of seconds. The difference between shooting major and minor is very slim.

For iron sights, round count is really only an advantage when the stage forces it to be.

Open div is a 10-15% advantage when you get to medium and far targets

Why not just recognize L10? Its not like its any extra work for dave, the one guy who shoots it gets 100% on all the stages, done.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

For me, the advantage with limited comes from the holster and the magwell. I can draw (scoop) and reload much quicker with my limited stuff than I can with my production stuff. I'm shooting my prod. gear anyway and don't really care what div I'm in. Just wanted to give my experience on the comparison of the gear.

Not to piss anybody off but I thought the match ran fine and was scored fairly last year. Why mess with success?

Just my 2 cents worth, I'm only interested in shooting something that don't shoot back

dave

Back
Top Bottom