Joining Army Reserves

Hi all,
Had a question thats been bugging me for a while.
I'm 22 and I've been working for the government for 2 years now(FAA).
I like my job and don't want to leave it, but have been thinking about joining the Army Reserve.
I was wondering if anyone on here knows if you can join the reserve when you already have a job. I can't find any answers on any army websites, and don't want to contact a recruiter just yet.

Does my current employer have to hold my job for me when i go to BCT? And if I get deployed would they hold my job for that as well?

This might be the wrong place to ask for info on this, and I'm going to speak with my HR dept soon, just wondering if anyone had any ideas here.

That seems to be the only thing holding me back from not joining up, since I've worked hard and went to school for the job I have now; I'd rather not throw that away.
Thanks

i believe they only have to hold your job if you get activated and full time a kid at the Lowe's i work at just got sent to iraq and was part time and there not holding his job. but having a job has nothing to do with you being able to join. you can have 20 they will still take you

Hi all,
I like my job and don't want to leave it, but have been thinking about joining the Army Reserve.
I was wondering if anyone on here knows if you can join the reserve when you already have a job. I can't find any answers on any army websites, and don't want to contact a recruiter just yet.

Does my current employer have to hold my job for me when i go to BCT? And if I get deployed would they hold my job for that as well?

This might be the wrong place to ask for info on this, and I'm going to speak with my HR dept soon, just wondering if anyone had any ideas here.

That seems to be the only thing holding me back from not joining up, since I've worked hard and went to school for the job I have now; I'd rather not throw that away.
Thanks

Yes you can. The Reserve requires you to give 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year and if you unit is activated you need to deploy. Everyone in the reserve has a job, cop, contractor, executive etc. You also receive certain legal protections where your employer cannot hold your service against you or if you deploy. I would double tap it with your boss and run it that way. But it shouldnt especially in a government job be a problem. Just get a job where youll get a viable skill youll enjoy doing, dont just sign up just to sign up and do something you hate. Also hit the bonus and college repayment thing pretty hard too. Good luck.

I was in the CG Reserve with a fulltime job, and my employer supported it. Suggest you talk to your employer first, however, whether or not there are laws about this, it is best to be up front with your employer from the beginning so you know where they stand on the issue.

FAA shouldn't have a problem at all, and will likely hold your position for you after you're done training. One of the guys I work with at NH ANG works full time for the FAA, and has never had an issue.

Hi all,

Thanks

As far as holding your job while you go to BCT that is totally up to your employer. Now while you get deployed that is a whole different ballgame.
Now also realize it is not a matter of IF you will get deployed, it is just a matter of WHEN you will get deployed.
Most people have full time jobs while in the Guard and Reserves.
You just have a weekend a month and two weeks in the summer, although that can also be three weeks as in the case of my sons unit.[grin]
It is the military after all.
Martlet is a recruiter and a good guy, talk to him he won't steer you wrong.

Also good luck in whatever you decide to do.[grin]

They are required by law to hold your job for training. Additionally, you still earn any promotions/benefits you were due. If you are deployed or activated, they must hold your job as well. If you accept an active duty assignment, your job is held for 5 years.

Additionally, many government jobs will pay any differences in your salary. I'd have to check to see if FAA is one of those.

Reply to my PM with any questions you may have. I can also get you job, benefit, and requirement information if you'd like it.

Every workplace in the US is required to publicly post the regulations regarding this (as well as minimum wage, workers rights, etc). I was actually just reading today...

join the marines ---------- not enough coffee or mres yesterday or maybe its this nice sunny weather we are enjoying snfu

Last edited:
umm...I believe the 5 MARINES that raised the flag over Iwo Jima would be pissed that you called them Maries..but thats just a guess [smile]

Easy on the Marines. Book learn'n ain't their strong suit. Maries. HAH!

Sorry Derek, but your brother left that one hanging. It would have been a shame not to hit it.

aim high - U.S. [STRIKE]chAir[/STRIKE] Air Force

[wink]

they take care of their people better. but if you want a real military career, go regular army first! [smile]

aim high - U.S. [STRIKE]chAir[/STRIKE] Air Force

[wink]

they take care of their people better. but if you want a real military career, go regular army first! [smile]

Yeah my brother and I go back and forth and give each other crap. We were always amused in Berlin, the Air Force had their air conditioned buses. They did have way better chow than what was trying to be passed off as food in our mess hall.
Then again if you really wanted hear bitching it came from the Brits that were forced to eat our crap. [laugh] It was usually burger line and salad bar for me.
Usually could not identify what the main line was supposed to be.[thinking]

Yeah my brother and I go back and forth and give each other crap. We were always amused in Berlin, the Air Force had their air conditioned buses. They did have way better chow than what was trying to be passed off as food in our mess hall.
Then again if you really wanted hear bitching it came from the Brits that were forced to eat our crap. [laugh] It was usually burger line and salad bar for me.
Usually could not identify what the main line was supposed to be.[thinking]

yup. i lived "in the B's" for most of my Army time, the chow sucked, especially in the INF BDE! the MI Bn (Separate BDE) was ok... [puke]

the Air Force has better chow

yup. i lived "in the B's" for most of my Army time, the chow sucked, especially in the INF BDE! the MI Bn (Separate BDE) was ok... [puke]

the Air Force has better chow

Not our MI unit.[puke2] The few times we had to eat over at Combat Support, theirs was worse. That was usually if I had to work a day shift on the weekends.
Our cooks on the site tried to poison the whole lot of us that worked their by serving dead lobster. Alot of our company ended up really sick. Hubby warned me ahead of time, so I lucked out.[laugh]
I lived on the burger line and salad bar the whole time. Once we were married well we took our own meals.[laugh]

You shouldn't have a problem serving in the armed forces while having a job. As far as them holding it for you as mentioned, they're obligated while on training assignments, but actual deployment to a far away land, well that's a different nut altogether.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/sscra/a/sscra.htm

Soldier's and Sailor's Civil Reflief act... show this to HR (they should already know about it) Says that if you are deployed, you have a job when you come home... you can also use it to turn off your cell phone without penalty and I've heard of guys using it to set up a payment plan with a bank if you have a lot of debt when you deploy but I don't have personal experience with the last one.

Most employers are nowadays are pretty good at not only doing what is required, but going beyond in terms of accommodating reservists who get deployed. When my wife (20 years as an Army reservist) got deployed, her employer paid the difference between her military pay and her civilian pay, which I thought was pretty cool.
A full time O4 is not going to make the same base salary as a senior level IT person.

Back
Top Bottom