Just finished a batch of my first reloads ever. Which handgun should I test with?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Ok, so I just got into reloading and yesterday I finished my first batch ever. I made 10 rounds of 45 ACP. I used 5.2 grains of W231 behind Zero 230gr FMJ bullets. Now that I have this first batch done, I'm unsure which of my 45s to use as a test platform. I'm torn whether I should test them in one of my newer handguns, because they are my most accurate and probably most durable. Or whether I should test them on one of my older, less expensive, handguns.

Newer = S&W 1911, SA 1911 or HK USPc
Older = Norinco 1911 or 1st Gen Glock 21

Not that I anticipate there will be a problem, but seeing this is my first batch.

What do you think? What would you use?

I know how you feel! I was a little nervous the first time too!

If you followed a real recipe from a reputable reloading manual you should be fine. It is best to start at the lowest recommended power charge and work up to maximum, just to be safe.

If you are nervous, try some in the least expensive gun, and then move to the most accurate. If you are not a pretty good shot already, you may not notice the difference in accuracy, and different guns like different loads, so you may have a the wrong load for your best gun anyway!

Blast away with which ever you choose, then go back to the bench and make a range of loads (10 each or so) to try from the bench. There will be plenty more to come in the future. No need to fret too much over getting just the right result from the first set!

Have fun!

Personally- I'd build up some lighter loads with that powder- I started at 4.8gr, then 5.0, then 5.2, then 5.6 and 5.8. I stuck with 5.2 because it seemed best for me in both my test guns (P220ST [wink] and my DK S&W 1911). 5.2 is a light load but since it's your first batch and you want to make sure everything is calibrated- start lower IMO. If it "is" 5.2gr it should be a cream puff.

If you test with these loads, don't use the Glock. When a case ruptures on a Glock, the frame can crack and Glock won't exchange it due to MA law (even though they are allowed to exchange directly, they walk tthe path of caution). 1911, with the exception of one Les Baer I saw don't frame crack when a case ruptures.

The "forged" Les Baer was unusual, since an analysis conducted by an independent metalurgical research lab (chemical and a 200x micrographic study of a Nital etch) showed the frame to be "consistent with all specifications for 1141 hot rolled plate steel with no evidence of heat treating or forging". These labs are a careful lot - they won't tell you what something is - just what material the item under analysis meets the specifications for. That is not typical of 1911s, and other testing of Les Baer frames that I am aware of did not show a similar softness (Rockwell B82 - B83 on the one I had analyzed).

Last edited:
Unless you did something really bad- I doubt you'll have any problems. Like I said though work the load up from the lower loads first. I've seen some manuals as low as 4.2gr 231 for a 230gr FMJ. I think 4.8gr is a good starting point. FYI 4.8-5.6gr will not come close to filling the .45 case. A double load would just about be up to where the bottom of the bullet is.

Get yourself a bench vise, 500' of twine...

Just kidding. You can try that load in any of your guns; like Lugnut said, 5.2 is a creampuff.

IIRC, you were shooting handloads w/5.5 grains of W231 in my 625 at the pumpkin shoot. The .45 ACP is a great 1st time cartridge to load. It is very forgiving.

I know some folks have been loading up to 6 grains of 231 in 230 fmj .45. However, the manufacturers MAX load is 5.3. Don't know why it's changed, just keep it in mind.

I know some folks have been loading up to 6 grains of 231 in 230 fmj .45. However, the manufacturers MAX load is 5.3. Don't know why it's changed, just keep it in mind.

That is strange indeed. My old Winchester data had starting load of 4.9gr and max of 5.7gr. Speer manual has starting of 5.6gr and max of 6.2gr (I think it was a FMJ 230gr bullet too!).

Either way- 5.2 is a cream puff. I tested up to 5.8gr with no issues whatsoever. Mater of fact- from my notes- "5.6gr was comparable to commercial Speer ammo."

That is strange indeed. My old Winchester data had starting load of 4.9gr and max of 5.7gr. Speer manual has starting of 5.6gr and max of 6.2gr (I think it was a FMJ 230gr bullet too!).

Either way- 5.2 is a cream puff. I tested up to 5.8gr with no issues whatsoever. Mater of fact- from my notes- "5.6gr was comparable to commercial Speer ammo."

That's why I ended up calling them. The big reloader in my area showed me the latest Winchester pamphlet for load data that had a max around 6 also. Like I said, I don't know why it's changed. The powder is supposed to be unchanged.

I noticed my 4.8 in 115 fmj 9mm "feels" just like Winchester White Box. That's why I was asking for so much input in the other thread I started.

Current load for .45 230 fmj is 4.2 - 5.3 of w231.

Let MOONY test them in his revolver [smile]

I guess we are ones to look out for, I was going to say give them to your buddy and take a few steps back.

For what its worth with 231, I used to load something like 5.7gr under a 200gr SWC in my Colt 1911 to make a certain velocity for a powerfactor requirement. When I switched to a custom built .45, I needed to go over 6gr to attain the same avg velocity over the same chrono with the same bullet.

Last edited:
Like others have said, you have to do something pretty silly to get into trouble with the powder and caliber you're mentioning. I use 5.2 grains of 231 powder through my H&K USP .45 with excellent results. Since you're only loading 10 or so rounds at a time to test with, you can take the time to measure each drop individually (assuming you're using a progressive press), so you should get consistent results from round to round.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom