Just received my C&R Now What to do? Buy?

Bad timing. I too, just got my C&R not too long ago and with all the election scares, the prices have climbed to all time highs at the distributors. Send the license to them anyway as you can get discounts on other items.

For firearms and weird caliber ammo, try looking around the boards. You will find appropriately priced items from private sellers. We're all in the same boat so as other upgrade their collection, the items that have lost interest or not in collector shape become passed down to newbies and shooters.

I've learned an awful lot and still have lots to learn. I don't dismiss guns or calibers I've never heard of before as I did in the past. You never know what you might run across and kick yourself in the butt later for passing up or at least not taking a second look at.

I just got mine last week.
First thing I did was photocopy a stack of them and send a dozen or so out to various online C&R dealers.

Then, I paid rent and bought some junk so I'm broke.

Now I just wait until my savings build a bit.

At some point in the future I suspect I'll order something just not anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
backstep11,

My first question to you would be - "what are your interests" ?
Check the ATF web site for a partial list of guns you could buy, and remember that any gun 50 or more years old is also C&R.

There are so many guns that qualify that the list is mind boggling.

Keep in mind that a C&R license, when buying/selling guns, is only useful for out of state deals, and in-state deals when shipping is required.
For face-to-face, your C&R license is of no value, and my experience is most FFL's don't even want to know about it. Again, I mean for FTF deals.

And yes, there are some firms who will offer a discount to you for supplies, etc., but that is a courtesy, and is not the reason ATF issues C&R licenses.

Good luck, I hope you find some great deals.

Best thing to do is research and choose what you want to specify in collecting..I jumped right in with both feet and all my cloths buying everything I could afford and alot I couldn't.

I focus on certain examples from cold war era.IE Warsaw pact countries communist block ect ect

Some people collect everything,some collect just Enfields or Webley's.

Just enjoy it and keep your bound book in order and you will have years of enjoyment.

question: if you buy a mosin rifle, and later, say a year later, get your C+R, do you have to list that Mosin in your bound book?

Back
Top Bottom