Kids starter shotgun

kurtb

NES Member
I'm looking for any input about what would be a good starter shotgun for my kid that wants to go shoot clays with Dad. I am curious if there are any decent "small" shotguns out there that are made for kids that anyone has actually used. I found a list at http://www.ocshooters.com/Gen/kidshooting/youth-firearms.htm, but would be interested in any input or possibly buying one from someone that no longer has use for their used one.

Thanks

Are you looking for a single shot or a pump? Dicks Sporting Goods sold a very reasonable single shot Rossi that had exchangable barrels. You could basically swap between a 20Ga., .410, and .22lr (I believe). They also do have quite a few youth shotguns depending on where you go. I hate to volunteer anyone but TrophyGirl knows quite a bit about youth shotguns if I recall correctly.

I still have my Ithaca Mod 66 Super Sling 20ga, single shot, lever-break.

Got it for my 12th birthday....I'll give it to my son on his 12th birthday

I am not sure if they still have the same deal but Mossberg has a Bantam model 500. It is pretty much youth sized but the gun a friend bought for his son had additional spacers for length of pull adjustment. It also had a shorter barrel as well as a different fore end. The neat thing that Mossberg did was include a certificate to buy, at a very reduced cost, an adult stock when the kid outgrew the youth set. The gun I saw was a camo model 20 gauge, it had screw in chokes as well.

I think they make a Rem 1100 youth in 20ga.

If thats made, thats what I'd guess. You can buy some pretty light 20 ga loads, the gas system soaks up a lot of recoil. And when the kid is ready for it, you can get fairly hot loads that can take down anything that flys or walks in North America.

Don

My son is shooting a Beretta 3901 Target RL, it's a 12 ga and shoots softer than anything else I've tried, even 20 ga guns. It's not cheap, but it is outstanding! It is available with either a 26" or 28" screw choke barrel, the stock has an adjustable comb, and comes with a couple of spacers which allow it to grow with him. Add a T&S shell catcher and a Briley bolt closer and you are shooting in style! I really can't say enough good things about it!

Prior to buying the Beretta I bought one of the Rossi Youth 20's, it's anything but gentle and does not have a screw choke barrel. If you want to beat the kid up a bit, I'll sell it to you. My son also tried a Browning BPS 20 GA, it worked out well enough but it kicks more than the Beretta and was a pump gun which put him at a disadvantage shooting skeet doubles.

With a nice semi like the Beretta, there is really no reason not to buy a 12GA.

If you are on the South Shore, I would be happy to let you try out the Beretta anytime.

I think we need to start with how big is your son? They make pants in a wide variety of sizes for a reason.

Icyclefar,

Does the beretta recoil less than even an 1100?? If so, thats great information.

Don

My only direct experience would be comparing my adult Beretta 391 to a Remington 1100, I'd pick the Beretta as the softer shooter any day.

The youth 3901 is a design generation older than the 391's (same receiver and action as Beretta's other 390's) and is only SLIGHTLY heavier in kick.

Hope that helps

I think we need to start with how big is your son? They make pants in a wide variety of sizes for a reason.

Actually - its my daughter that I am talking about. She is the size of an average 10 year old girl I guess

I bought one of the Rossie kits in 410 22 for when my daughter gets older. Shes 2 now it will sit in the safe for a while. I bought it the week she was born. I tested it ha it is a nice little shooter I would not hesitate to buy the 20ga. Hmm Maybe I need to go to dicks to day.

mossberg makes affordable and durable youth shotguns-- i have three of them.

they are all super bantam 500 20ga-- the stock actually has a spacer so you can adjust from 13 LOP to 12 and vice-versa.

if you buy one new, they come with a coupon for a full sized stock for when your son or daughter outgrows the youth stock.

the gun itself imo, has pretty low recoil.... they are super comfortable for small framed shooters

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom