• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kingston man allegedly used 3D printer to make guns

I’d really like to have that Gerber. Getting hard to find for reasonable prices now
Don't bother. The Gerber FSII folding hunter is a heck of a knife, but the Mark 1 not so much. Hard to re-sharpen and the blade is fairly brittle. Besides, double edged knives are more trouble than they are worth. They are illegal to carry (felony!) in many jurisdictions.

Don't bother. The Gerber FSII folding hunter is a heck of a knife, but the Mark 1 not so much. Hard to re-sharpen and the blade is fairly brittle. Besides, double edged knives are more trouble than they are worth. They are illegal to carry (felony!) in many jurisdictions.
I know but I’m a collector not a user really. It would sit in a box in a drawer and get pulled out once in a white for me to play with.

Apparently, the guy's a Prohibited Person based upon prior actions and is also stupid enough to appear in a video holding a handgun he supposedly assembled. That handgun was not found as part of the arrest.

From the Channel 5 story: "Skowyra said Kingston police launched their investigation after someone called in a tip and then shared a video that appeared to show Santos holding a pistol that may have been made with a 3D printer."
How odd that the “pistol that may have been printed” which gave them probable cause was never found.

i just wonder - how stupid do they think people actually are to actually buy a BS like this?
i guess, exactly that much stupid.

The VAST majority of the people watching this coverage have zero idea how firearms work, zero concept of how 3D printers work, and zero awareness of how MA firearms laws work.

It's not stupidity. It's just ignorance.

What am I looking at here? Are those a bunch of steroids?

The VAST majority of the people watching this coverage have zero idea how firearms work, zero concept of how 3D printers work, and zero awareness of how MA firearms laws work.

It's not stupidity. It's just ignorance.
I always go back to my friend’s 84 yo mother. She watches the news all day and I get regailed with stories of ghost guns and assault weapons. I can wholeheartedly agree that she has no idea what these terms mean even though she has heard or seen them 100’s of times. She doesn’t care to listen to me or look up the definitions.

TV knows their audience and no explanations will ever be necessary.

Props to him for saving his brass. Looks like he might get into reloading /s

He had 1 223 round and I’m guessing if they showed the primer it’s a dud.

it`s all about form, not function. i bet if you 3d print the whole thing, including barrel - you still gonna end up in the same courtroom with the same exact charges.
It needs to be functional but that's a refutable claim - they can say it appears to be functional and then you need to prove it cannot function even once

Edited: fix autocorrect changing refutable to reputable.

Last edited:
I would debate the function of a plastic printed spring. ;)
My point was a little different, however, you CAN 3d print springs. The Liberator made popular a few years ago is 100% 3d printed, except for the actual firing pin and the round you fire. The trigger spring is printed and actually works shockingly well.

What I was snarking about is, a 3d printed AR will clearly have decent functionality. As a paper weight for an alpha male desk. As a training prop. Pole for your beans in the garden, all manner of useful functions.

That plastic Liberator, try printing it in exotic materials better than hobby store PLA and you've probably got a pretty decent "fun" gun or "last ditch emergency" gun.

My point was a little different, however, you CAN 3d print springs. The Liberator made popular a few years ago is 100% 3d printed, except for the actual firing pin and the round you fire. The trigger spring is printed and actually works shockingly well.

What I was snarking about is, a 3d printed AR will clearly have decent functionality. As a paper weight for an alpha male desk. As a training prop. Pole for your beans in the garden, all manner of useful functions.

That plastic Liberator, try printing it in exotic materials better than hobby store PLA and you've probably got a pretty decent "fun" gun or "last ditch emergency" gun.
The liberator was intended to be used to secure or "liberate" a more functional firearm - properly used only one round is required.

I was talking to a guy today who claims to own a couple of guns and he thinks you can print an entire functional AR on a printer .
So yup about that stupid.
Technically, you can print an entire AR on a printer, but you would need a very specific high dollar printer that uses direct selective laser sintering to fuse stainless together to make highly accurate and durable parts. The machine costs around $40K-$50K for an entry level one.

I always go back to my friend’s 84 yo mother. She watches the news all day and I get regailed with stories of ghost guns and assault weapons. I can wholeheartedly agree that she has no idea what these terms mean even though she has heard or seen them 100’s of times. She doesn’t care to listen to me or look up the definitions.

TV knows their audience and no explanations will ever be necessary.
Don't bother arguing with people who don't know what they're talking about, saves stress and braincells

Don't bother arguing with people who don't know what they're talking about, saves stress and braincells
She’s 84. I can take her.

At this point I just shake my head and change the subject. I was only indicating TV’s target audience.

A self defeating grip. As if it wasn’t light enough? Does it really need to be skeletonized?

Who doesn't like weakening your equipment for some meaningless weight loss?

simpsons-speedholes.gif

That said, I think this is for the look more than weight considerations. I blame Call of Duty gun customization for making people think skeletonizing is cool.

I know but I’m a collector not a user really. It would sit in a box in a drawer and get pulled out once in a white for me to play with.
I only have three knives to call my own. One is for everyday concealed carry and general use, one for hunting and the fishing knife for my tackle box. All the others are kitchen knives. Wife controls those.

Attachments

• 20231107_095755.jpg
    20231107_095755.jpg
    925.3 KB · Views: 11
sports fans
They value the fully assembled AR (less sights on an FMK lower) at only $300! Can I shop where they shop????

Also, 6 rounds of ammo - one .223, one .40, and four 9mm from four different manufacturers. Clearly, Dillinger's latest incarnation.

Last edited:
I only have three knives to call my own. One is for everyday concealed carry and general use, one for hunting and the fishing knife for my tackle box. All the others are kitchen knives. Wife controls those.
I probably have 50-60 medium to high end knives. I carry and use one fixed blade and 3 folders. (Not all at once)

Back
Top Bottom