• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lag time for new LTC card….

So my LTC expired in May. I renewed in April and was given the letter that’s good for 90 days post expiration and the officer (whom I know) said I should get it in plenty of time. Still haven’t gotten it yet….what are others seeing for timeframe on getting a new card.

So my LTC expired in May. I renewed in April and was given the letter that’s good for 90 days post expiration and the officer (whom I know) said I should get it in plenty of time. Still haven’t gotten it yet….what are others seeing for timeframe on getting a new card.
Your PD has broken the law by taking longer than 40 days. And there is no legitimacy to a 90 day letter they give you. That is them being silly.

According to MGL Ch. 140 Section 131, your license is good until the renewal is approved.

“(i) A license to carry or possess firearms shall be valid, unless revoked or suspended, for a period of not more than 6 years from the date of issue and shall expire on the anniversary of the licensee's date of birth occurring not less than 5 years nor more than 6 years from the date of issue; provided, however, that, if the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid after its expiration date for all lawful purposes until the application for renewal is approved or denied.

Your PD has broken the law by taking longer than 40 days. And there is no legitimacy to a 90 day letter they give you. That is them being silly.

According to MGL Ch. 140 Section 131, your license is good until the renewal is approved.

“(i) A license to carry or possess firearms shall be valid, unless revoked or suspended, for a period of not more than 6 years from the date of issue and shall expire on the anniversary of the licensee's date of birth occurring not less than 5 years nor more than 6 years from the date of issue; provided, however, that, if the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid after its expiration date for all lawful purposes until the application for renewal is approved or denied.
Oooh. I just noticed that bold part had an interesting twist. Arguably, a person with a restricted LTC was temporarily upgraded during the grace period...

Obviously, that doesn't matter in a post-Bruen world, but an interesting theory.

I wonder whether they'd use the "we're backlogged by all these newly-unrestricted LTCs we have to print!" excuse.

I doubt they'd bother, actually.

i just renewed. i emailed in mid june to see what the backlog was, i was expiring in november. the woman said come on in this friday, june 17th. she emailed me the form, i filled them out and emailed them back and showed up that friday. i double checked my forms, handed over the dough, got my receipt and left. i got my new ltc last week on the 15th. so 29 days with a long holiday weekend (4th) tossed in the mix. they used the pic from my drivers license.

That letter is wrong. If you applied before it expired it's valid until they issue a new one.

That letter is wrong. If you applied before it expired it's valid until they issue a new one.

I wouldn't bet the house on it - if his licencing officer gave him 90 days of validity then that's what he has.
Post Bruen there isn't any teeth in the time limit but that wouldn't stop a crappy cop from arresting and letting the court sort it out.

I wouldn't bet the house on it - if his licencing officer gave him 90 days of validity then that's what he has.
Post Bruen there isn't any teeth in the time limit but that wouldn't stop a crappy cop from arresting and letting the court sort it out.
That would be a violation of black & white MGL, not that every PD pays attention to the laws. If he has the MIRCS receipt it should state it correctly at the bottom of the form. If they gave him any other receipt, it isn't worth the paper it is printed on . . . only the MIRCS receipt covers the applicant legally.

My brother in law has waited over a year. And I'm not even sure he's gotten it yet. He called the Massachusetts licensing( number I got here) and they said two weeks. I bet he still don't have it. And this is a green town. Not that it matters but both his father and brother served as reserve PD. So go figure.🤔

A year? That seems FUBAR for even the dark days when Obama as president & sucking his wife’s dick.

That would be a violation of black & white MGL, not that every PD pays attention to the laws. If he has the MIRCS receipt it should state it correctly at the bottom of the form. If they gave him any other receipt, it isn't worth the paper it is printed on . . . only the MIRCS receipt covers the applicant legally.
MIRCS receipt I received on Friday for my LTC renewal did

I wonder whether they'd use the "we're backlogged by all these newly-unrestricted LTCs we have to print!" excuse.

I doubt they'd bother, actually.
I called this out in the Bruen thread. Was told there is no way that can happen now.

Sometimes being right s*cks. [popcorn]

Back
Top Bottom