• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Laser as front sight on ar

It was just a thought. Random thinking haha. @C. Stockwell my vision is perfectly fine. @daekken I prefer 25 to 50 and try to go for speed. @paul73 that is a very good point. @cams very familiar with both red dots and irons but not so much with lasers. That is kinda where this stemmed from. It was kinda my idea but also something i have seen and wanted opinions on. @edmorseiii that is actually very much so something i am interested in. Is that the only laser that has that feature or ability? I would prefer to keep a front sight on case my red dot fails. What is your opinion on that laser? @teamRR which laser is that? Opinions on it?

First, using a laser as an aiming device is going to slow you down as you will be looking for your dot on your target. You will 100% be faster and more effective with a good red dot then you will with a laser, especially a cheap laser that isn't very effective. The only reason I have lasers mounted on my rifle is for shooting with night vision, and even that, now that I have gotten comfortable shooting passively through my red dot, I dont use the laser much at all. The only use I can really see for them is shooting in awkward positions or with odd equipment on like gas masks or something larptastic like that.

The laser set up I posted is a DBAL A3 with a railscales leaf sight on it. It is large, kind of heavy on an already muzzle heavy rifle, and expensive. It works well for my application though.

Interesting post. I can’t imagine why anybody would do this though, so the questions need to be asked;

What is your experience level with iron sights, BUIS, RDS, and lasers, if any?

Is this your idea or something someone recommended to you?
I think what cams is isn't saying is that iron sights should be masterd, before attempting to rely on a lazer. Batteries die. Sunlight pretty much ruins the lazer visibillty, both red and green, depending on distance, but iron sights are always there for us. For me, a lazer is only useful after dark. If I had to choose between a lazer or iron sights, I'd take iron sights, every time.

Last edited:
Sunlight pretty much ruins the lazer visibillty,both red and green, depending on distance, ...
To underscore that; the Bushnell Laser Bore Sighter
does not deliver at 50'-100' in bright summer sunlight at an outdoor range.

It's not supposed to be as bright as a target laser I presume,
but still...if you're outdoors? Maybe in winter or at dusk,
but not in the cruel New England summer.

So I find the proposition that you can't see a target laser
at (say) 100 yards during the day with your naked eye is very believable.

Stick with the red dots, dont even want to know what a laser would cost to see it during daylight hours even at 50 yards.

Daylight, ya I dunno about that. But dusk? - clear as day blasting clay pigeons at 80 yards totally doable, no sights needed, super fast and a lot of fun. In the dark of course too. Any small rifle or AR/AK-ish pistol thing to me it seems to have a real purpose, can't speak for actual combat effectiveness but the fun alone is worth the < $150.

Do you have nightvision?

If the answer is anything but yes, you dont need a laser on any of your guns.

Do you have nightvision?

If the answer is anything but yes, you dont need a laser on any of your guns.

I disagree with that. Even at night typically you can see and the laser will work perfectly, in lower light conditions I can still see targets on the berm I shoot into while also being able to clearly see the laser. Sure there are very dark nights, clouds, rain etc or indoor situations that are just total blackout but most of the time a laser gives you some ability even without night vision - and it is way faster to get on target with one.

Hey Jack, how does the lazer work out on the M60? LOL.
Wish I had an M60. For a while I worked for an outfit designing laser positioning systems using CO2 lasers and articulating arms. When things were slow we amused ourselves by "shooting" the beam at objects and burning them up. Fun for the feeble minded. Jack.

Wish I had an M60. For a while I worked for an outfit designing laser positioning systems using CO2 lasers and articulating arms. When things were slow we amused ourselves by "shooting" the beam at objects and burning them up. Fun for the feeble minded. Jack.
Geez Jack. You should get together with skysoldier. Between his electronics tech and your lazer tech, you could two guys could put together a kick ass, electronic, gatlin, lazer. What a hoot that would be. Love to see that at Knob Creek.

I thought about getting one of those fancy expensive $1,500 lasers.

Then I realized just a big clunking weight on the barrel and another point of failure.

I still want one but it's just not practical.

I disagree with that. Even at night typically you can see and the laser will work perfectly, in lower light conditions I can still see targets on the berm I shoot into while also being able to clearly see the laser. Sure there are very dark nights, clouds, rain etc or indoor situations that are just total blackout but most of the time a laser gives you some ability even without night vision - and it is way faster to get on target with one.
IDK maybe cause i turned 50 yrs old.
If you can see your target im thinking you should be able to see your sights enough to make it work.
For those able to shoot for fun at night. Go for it.
Sadly my vision is getting worse in years and iron sights are becoming hard to see clearly.
So far the only laser set up i used that came close to productive is with one of those cheap ATN IR scopes on rats and vermin at night on a far on top of a nice 25 cal air rifle

Back
Top Bottom