Lee auto pirme

Got a question...

I was reading through the instructions for the Lee auto prime, and it gave a list of primers that it will handle. Under the Federal heading, it said "None".

Anyone know why that is?

Adam

The priming compound. I recommend using Federal Primers ONLY for MATCH ammo, and not for MATCH ammo for an AR.

I suggest using Winchester Primers. Less chance of "slam fires".

IF you're not using them in a military semi auto, use them up. You don't want to know just how many Federal Primers (210M and 205M) I've run through a Lee Auto Prime. It's a lot.

This is a bolt action rifle, using new Winchester brass.
I am just concerned that they will explode in the auto prime and break it.

Adam

The problem is that Federal primers tend to explode when in the Lee AP. Winchester are some of the softest and least consistent on the market for match ammo. I'd suggest Rem 7 1/2 BR, of CCI 400 for .223.

I use the Remmy's in my rounds loaded by the Lee AP.

I seated a test Fed. last night with the AP. It seemed to go OK, so I think for the first batch I do, I might just stick with the Federal primers I already have.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Adam

Adam_MA said:
I seated a test Fed. last night with the AP. It seemed to go OK, so I think for the first batch I do, I might just stick with the Federal primers I already have.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Adam

I forget what was the cause of detonation but it WILL detonate the remaining primers in the tray, also. Don't load that tray up with primers.

I wear a glove and hold the tool under my bench when I seat the primer to use as a blast shield.

Also, make damn sure that primer is facing up before you seat it. It may have been that Fed. primers tended to turn sideways and were crushed.

Cool... I did plan on doing them one at a time and not filling the tray at all. Just dropping on onto the priming ram and seating it.

Thanks for the tips
Adam

With the Rem. 7 1/2's I usually put 10 or 20 in the tray but I always look to make sure it's facing up before sliding the brass into the shell holder.

Keep in mind that a sudden jerk can cause the primer to flip even if the brass is in the shell holder. Take it out and check it if you're not sure if a movement may have caused that to happen.

A bolt gun, I recommend using Rem 7 1/2's or Federals.

I know what Lee says. Almost every Bench Rest shooter uses Federals and many use Lee AP's. I haven't heard of a single accident, yet, but, it's your own risk, since Lee doesn't recommend it.

Disclaimer - If you choose to use Federals with the Lee AP, you assume all liability for anything that may happen.

For the record, I primed 30 cases last night with the AP and the Federal primers. I placed them onto the primer ram one at a time, and then placed the case on in the holder and primed. As a test, I did apply a good amount of pressure on the last one to see if I could get it to detonate, but it just seated the primer without incident.

Like I said, I haven't had a problem yet, and I've seated more than a couple thousand primers with the Lee. And I use the tray. Just pay attention to what you're doing.

Back
Top Bottom