Legal Hunting Aids

Hi there- I know that "baiting" is illegal in Massachusetts when hunting deer. How about the use of attractants? C'Mere Deer, bottled scents, etc? What constitutes "bait" apart from the obvious (corn and the like).

A good question for the local game warden. I say that since they are the ones to interpret the game laws. I think it varies from warden to warden, depending on what it is that they are observing you doing.

Hi there- I know that "baiting" is illegal in Massachusetts when hunting deer. How about the use of attractants? C'Mere Deer, bottled scents, etc? What constitutes "bait" apart from the obvious (corn and the like).

Bait is food and salt licks. Anything food or nutrient that is not naturally occurring. Scents that mimic does in heat are fine as well as scents used to cover your smell. Of course if you are hunting a farm that has corn that is not considered baiting since you didn't put it there solely attract deer. Is that clear as mud?

You can use the C'Mere Deer out of season, or grow food plots and hunt those spots later. I've been considering creating a Spring salt lick with nutrients for better antler growth, and to encourage deer to the area. Sounds easier than a food plot!

Try buying a trail cam. I put a trail cam in one of the places I hunted hard last year. I put it there for one week, and not one picture back. Trail cams let you really pattern them.

Taken directly from the plain language summary found at: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_deer.htm

baiting deer, hunting over bait, or the placing of bait for the purpose of taking deer or attracting them to a place where they may be hunted. Bait includes any artificial or natural substance, including but not restricted to salt, corn or other grains, apples or other fruit, vegetables, or any product or substance which constitutes a nutritional attraction or enticement to deer. A baited area is any area where bait has been placed and remains a baited area from 10 days prior to the opening of the archery season to 12:00 noon on the day following the close of the primitive firearms season.

Talking with many EPO's this pretty much covers it all...

Back
Top Bottom