Let's accessorize!

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
Okay, I just bought a new pair of leather shoes and dress belt and now I'm looking for a matching holster and mag pouch, basket weave I'm thinking. Can't offend the fashion police, you know. [wink]

Actually, I'm looking for opinions on an everyday carry holster and mag pouches. Primarily for a Glock 19 but also for a HK USP9 (full size).

I've been used the standard Glock holster and mag poches for years now but I'm looking for something with a little more quality and durability, both for carry and IDPA. I picked up a double mag pouch by Uncle Mikes the other day, Kydex I believe. Seems to be very durable and well made, holds the mag's well but I don't like how far it stands off the body.

The holster should be a belt type. However, I've noticed Fobus (and possibly others) have paddle-type mag pouches.

So, lets hear your experiences. Thanx

I used to carry my P95 in a Fobus Kydex holster and loved it, my gripe was the wear marks it left on the gun. The very end of my slide is all scuffed up.

I just picked up a Don Hume IWB, and so far love it, much easier to conceal than the Kydex.

I also just picked up a Glock 23 and plan on either picking up another Don Hume for that or, I've also been checking out a High Noon Hidden Alley.

Anyway my recommendation after I saw what my Fobus did is stay away from Kydex, especially if you care about what your firearm looks like.

Tony,
I am pretty new to CCW, but the holster I chose what a CompTac C-Tac model. It's an IWB holster that is adjustable for height cant and tension. I ordered mine directly from the manufacture and it was at my door 3 days later. Some good pictures of it here http://gunnersalley.zoovy.com/product/COMPTACCTAC I got the single mag Carrier as well, very high quality and fits my gun, and mag like a glove. Every person I talk to that has this or any other Comp-Tac holster has nothing but great things to say about them.

Adam

Thanks for the input. I'm not concerned about wear marks on the slide if it's a better system. Also, I just don't think I could stick a firearm inside my pants without buying a new wardrobe which is not an option.

NHDispatcher said:
I used to carry my P95 in a Fobus Kydex holster and loved it, my gripe was the wear marks it left on the gun. The very end of my slide is all scuffed up.
I believe this is because Fobus doesn't use Kydex but rather ABS in their holsters. Kydex is a better material in that it won't wear your finish (as badly) as an ABS plastic holster.

Adam

TonyD said:
Thanks for the input. I'm not concerned about wear marks on the slide if it's a better system. Also, I just don't think I could stick a firearm inside my pants without buying a new wardrobe which is not an option.
From what I know, Comp-Tac makes a full line of holsters. I am totally hooked on their retention system. It's adjustable and holds in just the right way. I can turn my holster upside down and shake it like the dickens and the gun won't slip. But put it on and draw, and it comes out just like it's supposed to.

Just my .02

Adam

Adam_MA said:
NHDispatcher said:
I believe this is because Fobus doesn't use Kydex but rather ABS in their holsters. Kydex is a better material in that it won't wear your finish (as badly) as an ABS plastic holster.

Adam

That could be part of right there then, I wasn't aware of that....

Injection molding and high-density platic. I have no idea what that means but that's what Fobus says.

Also, I want something that rides a little higher than most of what I've seen. I don't want the barrel exposed when I sit down or reach for something.

TonyD said:
I want something that rides a little higher than most of what I've seen. I don't want the barrel exposed when I sit down or reach for something.
Honestly.. That's why I chose to wear mine IWB. I checked out a bunch of holsters and I just couldn't find one that was high enough to satisfy that requirement. I know you said about the wardrobe thing, but I usually buy my pants a couple of sizes bigger anyway (you know.. for that BIG meal growing room) and I was actually surprised at how little space an IWB took. That's again one of the reasons I got the one I did. It puts the clips out on those wings and away from the body of the holster. That does 2 things... It makes the weight load of the holster spread itself out over more of a distance, plus it takes the standard clips that are on the outside of most IWB holsters and moves them off the body of the holster so it's as slim as possible. So basically it's only adding the width of your gun, plus a thin piece of Kydex.

Adam

Adam - I'm still leaning towards the belt type. Fobus is supposed to be higher than most. The problem is, no one around here carries much of a selection to compare. That's why I'm seeking some input from you guys.

I prefer the belt type as well Tony, but I won't be any help to you. I never look at the names of what I buy - just the style. I also carry IWB, depending on the outfit. I'll also do a back up shoulder - IF it's cool enough for me to wear a jacket.... I think I've got more holsters than I do guns. [lol]

Tony,
I know it's always better to go and be able to touch one at a local shop, but I just did a Yahoo search for "High ride belt holsters" and got back a bunch of hits. If you do order online I would find a place (another reason I went with Comp-Tac) that has a no questions return policy (refund not credit) so you can get it in your hands and try it out without wasting money.

Adam

Adam_MA said:
Tony,
I know it's always better to go and be able to touch one at a local shop, but I just did a Yahoo search for "High ride belt holsters" and got back a bunch of hits. If you do order online I would find a place (another reason I went with Comp-Tac) that has a no questions return policy (refund not credit) so you can get it in your hands and try it out without wasting money.

Adam

I agree. Just trying to get as much info as possible. Who likes leather, who likes plastic and why, etc.

Good info so far, thanks.

TonyD said:
Just trying to get as much info as possible. Who likes leather, who likes plastic and why, etc.

In that case... I like plastic (Kydex) It's durable, won't lose it's shape resists chemicals, can be cleaned easily, (good ones) have adjustable tension, tons of different configurations, and can be made to perfectly fit your firearm, most have adjustable cant angles, some have adjustable height, competition approved, looks good, and feels good to wear.....
I think that meets all my criteria for what a good holster needs to have.

Adam

Adam_MA said:
TonyD said:
Just trying to get as much info as possible. Who likes leather, who likes plastic and why, etc.

In that case... I like plastic (Kydex) It's durable, won't lose it's shape resists chemicals, can be cleaned easily, (good ones) have adjustable tension, tons of different configurations, and can be made to perfectly fit your firearm, most have adjustable cant angles, some have adjustable height, competition approved, looks good, and feels good to wear.....
I think that meets all my criteria for what a good holster needs to have.

Adam

I have to agree with all the above.

I go more for leather, but that's only because plastic in cold weather against the skin causes a major case of goose bumps. Course in GA you don't always need to worry about goose bumps. :D

Lynne said:
I go more for leather, but that's only because plastic in cold weather against the skin causes a major case of goose bumps. Course in GA you don't always need to worry about goose bumps. :D

No, just the damn geese eating my tomato plants! And, since we live in a 'development' I can't shoot the damn things.

TonyD said:
Lynne said:

No, just the damn geese eating my tomato plants! And, since we live in a 'development' I can't shoot the damn things.

I hate it when that happens. :D What about a fake owl? They use them up here to freighten the geese away....course, I can't tell you if they work or not.

When I get a chance (maybe a day or two), I'll try to take some pictures and post them of excellent Blade-Tech and Hellweg OWB holsters (there are a few different models) for the task. Both are available for Glocks & 1911s thru Brownells. Also the best IWB on the market, the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2. My Blade-Tech is for the P99 and the Hellweg (Kydex covered with "rooskin" aka Kangaroo skin) and Milt Sparks are for the 1911. I have a Milt Sparks on order for the P99 but don't expect to receive it for another 4-5 weeks. I also have dual mag holders from Blade-Tech for both guns.

Blade-Tech holsters:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1397&title=KYDEX+HOLSTERS+&+POUCHES

Hellweg holsters:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1397&title=KYDEX+HOLSTERS+&+POUCHES

Milt Sparks Summer Special V2 Holster:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9922

BTW, if you have a C&R FFL, Brownells will give you a significant discount on these items.

Len - No C&R but I'll check out those sites, thanks.

Another question for you folks. I always shy away from paddle type holsters. I'm wondering if anyone has actually trained using one the newer types and just how secyre are they?

I don't how it'll work out, but here's what MidWay sells them (black, they didn't have OD) for:

Product #: 761790
Manufacturer #: GL2BH
Dealer Price: $12.00
Retail Price: $15.79

Their retail isn't MSRP, it's their normal price. Brownell's sale is a pretty good deal.

derek said:
TonyD said:
Somebody tell me what's wrong with this. Looks perfect to me.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/St...p=1587&title=SEMI+AUTO+TACTICAL+ELITE+HOLSTER

I'll have to find something different for my HK but looks great for my Glock.

Good for shooting pistol matches. I don't know how well it will retain the weapon during a physical struggle.

All Fobus holsters have adjustable tension screws. These type holsters use friction and direction of draw for retention. I can snap and simple thumb-break and snatch your sidearm much easier than one of these.

Tony, I used a Fobus Elite (IIRC) for the USPc last year in Jim Crews class. We didn't do much movement in the class, so no saying what would happen if you get into jumping/rolling around.

I have same holster for P99 and couldn't draw gun out of it! Fobus said that they set tension too tight in mfg, put screwdriver between shell sides and leave it like that for a few days. Works, sorta . . . but it is hitting the "box".

The mag pouch I have two of them and they dig into my sides something fierce (inside waistband, I'm referring to the paddle itself).

BTW, Brownells prices are $23.80 for holster and $22.99 for the pouch WITHOUT C&R FFL. Cost with C&R FFL on all of these items is $10.67 each. Similarly, each of the holsters I mentioned in my prior post run about $20 cheaper with C&R FFL.

is there a big diffence between paddle and belt attachment.?

is one more secure then the other?

i normally don't wear a belt so i'd have to get one and start getting used to just wearing a belt.(i know real difficult)

thought i'd ask this question before i go and buy a holster then only to find out i shouldof gone with the other type.

Back
Top Bottom