• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Letters of recommendation?

beppe916

NES Member
My wife is applying for her LTC. Are these letters still needed. Shouldn't a background check be good enough?

They are needed, but in my experience never verified/ followed through. The reference does not need to be written by an LTC owner, but an upstanding citizen surely would not hurt. Hard to tell as they have never indicated what a good reference is vs a bad one.

Since discretion is no longer allowed they can't be used as a basis for denial unless the letter eposes the applicant as a prohibited person.
Just a get few people to write:

I have known Mrs Beppe916 for xx years and have no knowledge of anything prohibiting her from receiving an LTC.

They are needed, but in my experience never verified/ followed through. The reference does not need to be written by an LTC owner, but an upstanding citizen surely would not hurt. Hard to tell as they have never indicated what a good reference is vs a bad one.
Never ever had a letter of reference in my town(s) that I've lived in, needed for an LTC.

Fill form out, (there are references on form) give them money, take picture.

Just renewed again in January.

Type the letter that meets the requirements set forth by your town/CoP, ask your reference to sign if they find it to be true, submit with the rest of your application. Don't complicate things.

My wife is applying for her LTC. Are these letters still needed. Shouldn't a background check be good enough?
What state is she applying in? Resident or non-resident?
Sometimes, actually providing useful information will get you a more meaningful response.
Just sayin'

Since discretion is no longer allowed they can't be used as a basis for denial unless the letter eposes the applicant as a prohibited person.
Just a get few people to write:

I have known Mrs Beppe916 for xx years and have no knowledge of anything prohibiting her from receiving an LTC.
Signed,

Epstein's Mother

I have never had to provide letters of reference, just list some references on the form. Maybe different towns have different requirements.

And I have never had anyone I used as a reference tell me they were ever actually contacted.

Never ever had a letter of reference in my town(s) that I've lived in, needed for an LTC.

This was my experience. I'm sure we don't all live in the same town. Must be town dependent.

There are 301 towns in MA.

Let's be clear. Letters have NEVER been required under the law.

They are yet another extra legal add on the local department is requiring in contradiction to the law. But if you want the LTC without paying a lawyer you best give them what they want.

Oh, and suitability is still a thing, They just need to give a reason the district court will agree with..... like its a day who's name ends in y (the standard as applied by the court, not what's in the law).

Let's be clear. Letters have NEVER been required under the law.

They are yet another extra legal add on the local department is requiring in contradiction to the law. But if you want the LTC without paying a lawyer you best give them what they want.

Oh, and suitability is still a thing, They just need to give a reason the district court will agree with..... like its a day who's name ends in y (the standard as applied by the court, not what's in the law).
The state knows that playing fast and loose with "discretion" will result on another Caetano like per curiam smack down (people under estimate that opinion)

Other people weighing in as to whether you can have your 2A rights is just another suitability diversion. No other Bill of Rights Amendment requires you to ask others if it OK if I exercise it.

Do they require references (that is, names and phone numbers) or actual letters of reference? I’ve never heard of a MA police department requiring actual letters of reference. Many require references but never actually contact them.

I'm pretty sure that until recently Lowell required reference letters. Oddly enough when I applied for my LTC in Boston in 2017 they specifically said no reference letters would be required and if provided would not be considered.

Why should others be informed if you are applying for the LTC? I believe this information should be kept confidential. The background check reveals everything, ultimately determining your qualification, irrespective of the contents of the letter of recommendation.

Why should others be informed if you are applying for the LTC? I believe this information should be kept confidential. The background check reveals everything, ultimately determining your qualification, irrespective of the contents of the letter of recommendation.
You shouldn't have to but sometimes it's easier not to rock the boat

I've written them for people I've never met by simply omitting how long I've known the person.

It's just a bunch of BS hurdles, you can hop over or go around them easy enough so no need to scorched earth slam through them

Do they require references (that is, names and phone numbers) or actual letters of reference? I’ve never heard of a MA police department requiring actual letters of reference. Many require references but never actually contact them.
Everyone I know always uses me as a reference because they know Im a gun guy. I've never been contacted in 40 years.

I use both my police chief buddies and used to use my state trooper friend when he was alive. None of them have ever been contacted about me. Police chief buddies say....we don't bother with references.....so it must be for the state.

Millis police and they are asking for letters not names.

Back
Top Bottom