Light Up The Darkness... Just finished a cool mod to my Safe!

Damn, there is WAY to much open space in this safe. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to fill that sucker with new and used guns until you can barely close it by the end of the year. [smile][wink]

Working on it :)
Picked up a Kimber yesterday.
I own 5 Handguns and 2 rifles but a few are spread out in other safes.

It helps that most of my ammo is on the door instead of inside the safe. That would have taken up a lot of room inside.

It helps that most of my ammo is on the door instead of inside the safe. That would have taken up a lot of room inside.

Yeah, but my safe door pushes against the rifles when it closes! It takes some effort! Kinda like sitting on a suitcase so you can zip it up!

Last edited:
Another suggestion is to use those decorative tiny lights that are encased in a clear vinyl tube. Home Depot and Lowes sell this item.

Tonight on E!

Pimp My Safe!

CrossX and his team will hijack another Gun Nut's safe and 'update' it with all the latest in lighting and lace. A special visit from Carson (from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy) and Frank Bielec (from Trading Spaces) will ensure our victim of a classy and very metrosexual experience each and every time he pulls out his AK47 or Dirty Harry pistol.

Nice work!

Another suggestion is to use those decorative tiny lights that are encased in a clear vinyl tube. Home Depot and Lowes sell this item.

Sold as "rope lighting". Yeah, I looked into that too. I figured that the three puck lights would get the job done.

Nice work!

I thought about this as well... But I don't think it would have had the same amount of light output as the lamps I used. However it would have been "cooler" [grin]

Tonight on E!

Pimp My Safe!

CrossX and his team will hijack another Gun Nut's safe and 'update' it with all the latest in lighting and lace. A special visit from Carson (from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy) and Frank Bielec (from Trading Spaces) will ensure our victim of a classy and very metrosexual experience each and every time he pulls out his AK47 or Dirty Harry pistol.

You KNOW everyone on here would watch this show. If anything... to see what people have in their safes... and to see how they get pimped out!

Rope light is a great way to go, that's how I did mine. The stuff I bought has about 8 lights per foot and is more than bright enough. It runs cool so if you ever forgot to turn it off it would not be a problem. I was able to run a loop around the inside of the door opening, and then ran the remainder as a loop around the ceiling of the safe. Fastening the stuff is easy too! Just buy some of those stick on plastic mounts used for electronics wiring and some cable ties. I'll shoot some photo's and post later.

Rope light is a great way to go, that's how I did mine. The stuff I bought has about 8 lights per foot and is more than bright enough. It runs cool so if you ever forgot to turn it off it would not be a problem. I was able to run a loop around the inside of the door opening, and then ran the remainder as a loop around the ceiling of the safe. Fastening the stuff is easy too! Just buy some of those stick on plastic mounts used for electronics wiring and some cable ties. I'll shoot some photo's and post later.

cool... i'd love to see how that looks.

Nice work!

This is what I did. I picked up a 10' section of rope light, a closet door switch and some Velcro tape. An hour later it was done. Only problem is every one in a while the adhesive on the Velcro loosens and you had to re-stick it around the rope light.

Not as bright as the fluorescents but certainly enough light to see whats going on in there.

Regards,

P
safe-1.jpg

This is what I did. I picked up a 10' section of rope light, a closet door switch and some Velcro tape. An hour later it was done. Only problem is every one in a while the adhesive on the Velcro loosens and you had to re-stick it around the rope light.

Not as bright as the fluorescents but certainly enough light to see whats going on in there.

Regards,

P
safe-1.jpg

NICE collection. I strive to fill up my safe like that [smile]

I especially like the AR pistol.

Where are all of the rifles?!

Regards,

P
safe-1.jpg

Nice setup for pistols what model safe is that. It looks like the one from FS the sentry

It is the Sentry G5453 and yes I bought it from Carl several years ago. For the money you certainly can't go wrong.

Regards,

P

reading this post got me to go work on my cabinet. havent bought a safe yet but have a Stack on 10 gun cabinet that i "modified" to say the least..love this post..some great ideas here.

Whenmy buddy wired his safe with a contact switch he had a simple solution to tell if the light was on. He turned the flash off on his digital camera, set the timer, and shut the door. Pic came out black so obviously the switch worked
Just turn on a video camera and leave it running while on the shelf. Close door. Wait a second, open door. Rewind and check.

As far as lights, the fluorescent strips are nice, since they are bright and out of the way. If it were me, I'd have done the battery ones you just tap to turn on. No wiring necessary.

As far as lights, the fluorescent strips are nice, since they are bright and out of the way. If it were me, I'd have done the battery ones you just tap to turn on. No wiring necessary.

Yeah...I considered that too... but then I'd have to keep changing the batteries... [thinking] I wanted the lighting to be something I didn't have to "maintain".

to each their own [grin]

What came to my mind was some white LED Christmas lights. Just one cord, and wire-tie them around the edges.

Thanks for the ideas. Just installed a light in my gun safe. Just used a battery-powered light that velcro.

Tired of fumbling around in the dark or having to use a flashlight.

Wow I've never seen a 3 year old thread be resurrected so seamlessly, like no one skipped a beat! [laugh]

I have to find some kind of simple lighting for my safe. Mine's all metal with no felt or anything on the inside so if I could find a little dome-type light with a magnet on the base, that'd be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom